User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    My 17 376 came with pretty heavy duty skid plates, but after the first year I had worn through the bottom. I asked the dealer to fix them when I took my 376 in for warranty work. Of course they were not covered by warranty. The dealer put rollers on to "fix" the problem. I first I was a little ticked because the dealer didn't do what I asked, but after some reflection I am happy that they put the rollers on instead of just welding more metal on, it's worked out a lot better.
    Dallas
    Did you do 2,3 or 4 rollers and 2" or 3"?

Thanks, KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Major Damage From Dragging Back of Trailer. (Warning!)

I have a Solitude 374 and went with two of the 3” on each side directly under the main frame rails. Like others mentioned they work well and are a needed enhancement IMO. I went with the 3” to gain additional clearance in the middle is the road has a large crown and I also have a hitch receiver so the added clearance is nice for that setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    Dallas
    Did you do 2,3 or 4 rollers and 2" or 3"?

Thanks, KEN
    LOL, I didn't do them, the dealership did. Just looking they appear to be 2". 1 on each outside corner where the old skid bars where. Judging from the amount of scarring on them and lack of damage I would say they are doing a good job.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I ordered the rollers from Amazon, pulled the coroplast down and low and behold, no wonder the backend will;l tear off. the bottom of the frame is not even welded to the bumper or at least what is referred to as a bumper. I made some brackets out of some 1" bar and welded that to the bottom of the frame so they should withstand a pretty good drag. We will find out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3169.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	19600Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3168.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	19601Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3171.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	19602
    Last edited by jcharper; 04-26-2019 at 06:33 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jcharper View Post
    Well, I ordered the rollers from Amazon, pulled the color-last down and low and behold, no wonder the backend will;l tear off. the bottom of the frame is not even welded to the bumper or at least what is referred to as a bumper. I made some brackets out of some 1" bar and welded that to the bottom of the frame so they should withstand a pretty good drag. We will find out.
    Nice work. Can you do my Solitude too? KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. When are you going to be in the Texas Panhandle? We could make it happen.

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I ordered the rollers from Amazon, pulled the coroplast down and low and behold, no wonder the backend will;l tear off. the bottom of the frame is not even welded to the bumper or at least what is referred to as a bumper. I made some brackets out of some 1" bar and welded that to the bottom of the frame so they should withstand a pretty good drag. We will find out.

Name:	IMG_3169.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	19600Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3168.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	19601Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3171.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	19602
    I'm curious....why didn't you weld the rollers directly to the frame?

It appears that welding the 1" bar stock in between the roller and the frame of your Momentum minimizes the clearance between the roller and the ground....the departure angle....which is already a problem, especially for the 374TH and the 376TH (they set lower in the back than other Momentum models). Is it simply because you do not have the 374 or 376 and so that's not an issue/concern for you?

Name:	off-roading-diagram.gif 
Views:	55 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	19606
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCZhome View Post
    I'm curious....why didn't you weld the rollers directly to the frame?

It appears that welding the 1" bar stock in between the roller and the frame of your Momentum minimizes the clearance between the roller and the ground....the departure angle....which is already a problem, especially for the 374TH and the 376TH (they set lower in the back than other Momentum models). Is it simply because you do not have the 374 or 376 and so that's not an issue/concern for you?

Name:	off-roading-diagram.gif 
Views:	55 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	19606
    The reason I mounted them the way I did on mine is the fact that I want it to hit on the wheels before it does the so called bumper on my trailer. I made the mounts that I did so that the rearend will actually support itself off of the ground on the wheels and not just drag, so I beefed it up a tad. This is my second trailer with this setup and it has worked well for me so far. When I get in a situation where it is going to drag I just go slow and straight and so far I have not damaged a trailer, but like anything else there is always next time

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason I mounted them the way I did on mine is the fact that I want it to hit on the wheels before it does the so called bumper on my trailer. I made the mounts that I did so that the rearend will actually support itself off of the ground on the wheels and not just drag, so I beefed it up a tad. This is my second trailer with this setup and it has worked well for me so far. When I get in a situation where it is going to drag I just go slow and straight and so far I have not damaged a trailer, but like anything else there is always next time
    You don't have your information listed in your signature but in your avatar it appears that you have a Momentum? Toyhauler doesn't have a "bumper". The rollers I have on my 376TH are welded right to the frame. They've been on there for a little over 10k miles and they've worked well in protecting the rear cap.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I can't type sarcasm let me clear it up a little. The 3/32" metal that is formed on the rear of my 398M is a trim piece to me and not a bumper. I don't plan on having the rear of my trailer replaced so I reenforced the mounting area for the rollers so that should the situation arise they can support the entire rearend of the unit. You will also be able to tell by avatar in a few days that now that the initial warranty is about out on my truck that shiney piece on the front will be replaced with a Ranchhand full replacement bumper and grille guard. I am a fan of steel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast