User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Major Damage From Dragging Back of Trailer. (Warning!)

We recently suffered major damage to our brand new Momentum 376TH on a trip up the Oregon coast due to the back end of the coach dragging on a hilly section of road. We didn't realize the extent of the damage until we pulled into the campground and some said "Do you know the back end of your camper is ripped open?".

There are a couple of design/manufacturing flaws that led to this damage. 1-On the back of the frame, there is a welded triangle on the frame rails that is supposed to serve as a skid for situations just like we had, going up and down driveways, etc. I had noticed before that the gauge of metal used to form this triangle skid seemed on the lightweight side for a coach as big as the 376th. The other thing is that it is just two pieces of flat plate welded into a "V" and then onto a frame. Other skids I've seen like this use a single piece of steel bent into a V, then welded onto frame. As can be seen from the photo, the weld at the bottom of the V broke which allowed the two individual legs to simply fold flat and backwards from the weight of the coach.

This led into flaw # 2 which is the back panel of the coach hangs below the frame cross member at the back of the coach, so when the triangle skid failed, the next thing that touched the ground was the back body panel of the coach (instead of the frame cross member), which caused the back of the coach to be ripped open and peeled back from the sides, ripping out sheet metal screws and bending panels and framing, etc. in the process. One thing that helped (or hurt) was the fact that the garage door has a fairly strong frame around it, which seemed to help keep the panel flat instead of just having one corner rip open. But none of this would have happened if the rear frame cross member hung down a little more than the actual body panel. If this had been the case the frame would have just dragged and got a bit scratched up, but that's it.

I was able to get the camper home by using some ratchet straps to pull the back in as tight as I could to the back. I have an apt with the dealer where we bought it but its going to be a major repair. I don't think it will need a new rear cap, but not sure. There is a little bend in it where the aluminum inner frame broke. We'll see.

The main reason I am posting this is as a warning to people to beef up the rear frame skid situation. In hind site, I am going to have 3 super heavy duty skid wheels welded on to the rear cross member to protect the rear body panel from dragging. This could also be done with just some welded plate, but the wheels seem like a better choice to me as it will lessen the stress since they will roll rather than just dragging the frame on the ground.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3270.jpg   IMG_3269.jpg   IMG_3266.jpg   IMG_3267.jpg   IMG_3268.jpg  

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That is horrible. Thankfully the whole back end did not pull off. Have you shared this information with the Grand Design folks so they can see if a design change is warranted?

Jim

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Ouch, bummer for sure but I'm sure it can be fixed to good as new. i put rollers on my last 5th (don't seem to need them on this one). The issue you need to be careful of is that you never let all the weight of the trailer ride between the hitch and the skids (i.e the wheels off the ground). The frames aren't built to handle that kind of stress. BTW, that must have been one heck of a dip in the road! I worry about driveway transitions but have never seen it happen on the road.

Good luck with the repair.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, bummer is right! The coach is only 4 months old! It was a hilly road but not that bad. It might have been a bit worse because I think the wheels might have been off the pavement and on the shoulder, but that was only a ~1" drop. We are not even sure exactly where it happened. Just a couple of times we heard the back dragging but nothing major and not unlike we have heard before in and out of drive way type situations. I think the only reason it didn't pull off the whole back is once the back panel flexed open enough, it was the frame member that dragged instead of the body panel, or maybe just the little dip was over by then. It was absolultely gut wrenching to see, but in looking at it I can see how it can be fixed fairly easy. What is interesting is how the rear is constructed and held on to the sides. Its really just a bunch of large sheet metal screws through the aluminum frames on the sides into the aluminum frame members in the back. The moulding/trim will have to be taken off all the way around to get to get to the screws that go from the back into the frames in the sides. The biggest surprise is that the garage door frame is only fastened to the back panel, not to the actual camper frame cross member. That means the weight of the toys on the ramp is pulling down on the backpanel via the sheet metal screws. I had a Harley in the garage and didn't dare take it out until I got home for fear the weight of it would rip out the rest of the back panel, which would have been an even bigger mess. When I got home, I cut some 2x4's to support the top of the ramp to take the stress off the back panel so I could get the bike out. It even split the horizontal shelf behind the bed since the back of that board was attached to the back panel, the sides to the cabinets. Like I said quite a mess.

I haven't yet talked to GD. I was going to wait until its at the dealer so they can better assess the damage. It would be nice if GD would at least help with the deductible on my insurance.

Good point about not letting the hitch and the back rollers take all the weight, I'm sure that could easily bend the frame. I suppose that would be an even bigger mess! ;-)

I'll keep posting as the repairs and assessments come in.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the heads up. I will crawl under mine and see what's what. I have been watching the sewer drain pipe and trying to be cognizant of possible problems, I hadn't thought to watch the rear end drag....

Thanks!
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw something similar on the GD Momentum facebook page a couple of months ago and the preventative measures that several have taken to make sure it doesn't happen to their Momentum.

One guy had something really beefy welded up under there. Here's another options that one of them had welded up under the frame..... https://www.etrailer.com/Skid-Wheels...KZJhoCJZfw_wcB
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sewer drain pipe is a bit low but fairly close to the wheel so probably protected pretty well. You might take a long 2x4 or piece of pipe and wedge it under the rear wheel out the back and then lift it up to see what would hit on the back end if the little triangle skid foot gives way. I'll be interested to see if anyone else thinks the skid "V" seems a bit on the whimpie side for such a big coach. I found some really heavy duty yet low profile roller wheels from Amazon that can be welded to frame cross member which will make dragging the tail easier than dragging on the V. I'm interested to hear your thoughts...

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @JCZhome: Yes! Those are exactly the wheels I'm going to put on mine. I'm gong to put 3 across the back in case there's a crown to the road, etc. Sure wished I'd seen these and actually done it BEFORE the problem. I think with such a long, low overhang wheels like this should come from factory. The momentums seem lower than other toy haulers, certainly way lower than the Voltage we traded in. Makes for nicer loading of toys and the ability to get a bed above the garage, but that ground is mighty close when going into driveways and hilly roads. Oh well, live and learn I suppose...

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Goodyear G614 tire swap also raises the trailer about 3/4"-1". That has to help. I mean it may have been that 3/4" lower that cause all the damage......
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree the wimpy triangles are mostly for show, I folded one of mine flat while pulling off the car ferry crossing at Dawson, Yukon. I am also worried about tearing the generator exhaust pipe off my 376TH. It hangs very close to the ground.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast