Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going on my second trip with a new 30ft Bunk House Grand Design

Hello All,

I live in Phoenix, Az and I am about to take our 30ft. bunk house on its second trip to a camp ground outside of Payson AZ. I am pulling this trailer with a 2010 F150 super crew with the largest engine available and better gear ratio. Everything I have read says that I can pull up to 9,400 pounds. When the trailer is loaded it weighed in at 7,100 pounds. That being said on our first trip we noticed some shimming in the wheel when braking when we were returning from Flagstaff, Az. I am taking the trailer in to have the brakes checked to ensure we are getting everything we are suppose to.

My question is does anyone think my just is just too small for the trailer. I do realize a bigger truck is better and that diesel is the way to go, but thats not possible at the moment. I have a friend that has been pulling trailers for years and says I should be fine, it will just be a slow and a little tougher pull. We are not going on the way up to the Rim but we still have to climb quite a bit.

Just curious what you all think.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few questions before we can advise.

What model do you have? Is it an Imagine 2400BH?

What hitch do you have?

What trailer brake controller do you have?
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Bald teacher (great name)! Your truck sounds okay as long as the payload is within limits. From what weights you gave, the tow weights sound good enough. Regarding the shimming, I would be afraid your trailer brakes aren't working at their potential. This could be grease on the brakes (hopefully you had the seals checked already), or your brake controller not set accurately, or an issue with brakes or electrical to brakes. In any case I would check the braking ability of the trailer if you have the know how, or have a dealer or shop check it for you. The trailer should be stopping you as much as your truck, and you should not have shimmy if you don't have it without the trailer.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Baldteacher - From your description of your truck, you likely have the Max Tow package but not the Heavy Payload option. One of the big differences between these, is the tires. The shimmy that you feel might be your tires. Are these passenger car tires (about 35 psi spec) or light truck tires (60 psi or higher spec)? The V8 engine that you have will do the job, but will not perform as well at Flagstaff elevation as the turbo charged Ecoboost V6 would. As noted above, making sure that the trailer brakes are working right would be the first thing. There are folks on this forum with great experience and excellent advice on hitches and hitch setup. Next, you might want to consider changing to LT tires which will give you a firmer ride but will perform better when towing.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is the 2400 BH. The brake controller I am using is the one that is installed from the factor from Ford and we are using a Curt Distribution hitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to an RV shop tomorrow to have the gentleman check the brakes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob,

I do believe I have the Max Tow package. I have passenger tires and I just bought new tires yesterday from discount and they are passenger tires as well. I didn't know what to get and the sales man said these would be good tires. So I think I kinda screwed up there.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldteacher View Post
    Thanks Rob,

I do believe I have the Max Tow package. I have passenger tires and I just bought new tires yesterday from discount and they are passenger tires as well. I didn't know what to get and the sales man said these would be good tires. So I think I kinda screwed up there.
    With some quick talking, you may get that tire dealer to do a tire exchange for you and get the LT tires. Big difference.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    With some quick talking, you may get that tire dealer to do a tire exchange for you and get the LT tires. Big difference.
    x2 the stiffer side walls of the truck tire will make a huge difference.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE