User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Air Conditioners on 2017 Solitude

I have had issues one of my air conditioners in my Solitude being able to keep up. I live in Texas and it obviously gets toasty this time of the year. After checking your Grand Design forum and seeing some things to check with the air conditioner plenums and airflow, I made some modification to the air conditioner that is over the living (large) end of my trailer. At about 95degrees temp outside, the air conditioner was able to displace air coming out of the unit at about 70 degrees. However, the room temperature stayed pretty constant at about 80 to 83 degrees. Unacceptable. This is with all black out shades drawn and unit closed for several hours. The bedroom unit will cool from the outflow from the unit at about 60 degrees under the same circumstances and keep the bedroom about 70 degrees. Acceptable. My question is, can I get another air conditioner installed in my trailer? Will the roof structure, wiring, etc. support this? I just believe that there is to much volume in the large end of the trailer for the air conditioner to keep up.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were camping this last week in some hot weather also and the bedroom stayed cool but living area was warm. I put a box fanin the bedroom doorway blowing in living area and it made abig difference. At night i would have the fan blow from living area to bedroom and our bedroom ac never came. The bigger ac in living room was able to keep up. 72 degrees

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alan, did you ever get resolution to this issue? I am in south TX and have the very same issue with temp differences between front and main A/C units. I also re-taped the plenums I am now turning off the front unit and trying to cool the entire RV with the rear unit. My thought is that since the units are ducted together the residual cool air from the front unit that enters the rear unit affects the thermostat in the rear unit. My rational for this is that when I was taping the rear unit's plenum, cold air was coming from the forward unit.
    Tim and Betsy
    Retired U. S. Marine (Tim)
    Retired Pastor (Tim)
    Active Golfer! (Tim)
    Current Physician Assistant (Betsy)
    2016 Solitude 366DEN
    2018 Chevrolet Crew Cab, DuraMax, 4WD, Dually, Long Box
    B&W Companion Hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RevTim View Post
    Alan, did you ever get resolution to this issue? I am in south TX and have the very same issue with temp differences between front and main A/C units. I also re-taped the plenums I am now turning off the front unit and trying to cool the entire RV with the rear unit. My thought is that since the units are ducted together the residual cool air from the front unit that enters the rear unit affects the thermostat in the rear unit. My rational for this is that when I was taping the rear unit's plenum, cold air was coming from the forward unit.
    I ended up adding an additional air conditioner so now have 3 units. A little expensive but works great.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My rear 15K AC unit will only put out 87* air. Front drops down into 60's quickly. Today, I ordered a new Coleman Mach 8 15K. Going to get rid of the Dometic. Texas is hot and need my cool!
    Ron
    2016 Reflection 317RST
    2012 Ram 3500, SRW, CC, LB 4x4 6.7 Cummins
    Katy, Texas

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 311BHS with two air conditioners. Last weekend (and all during Texas Summers) we add a small tower fan in the back bedroom to move the air. In the master bedroom we have added a deflector (from Lowe's) attached to the bedroom ac with Velcro. This makes the air flow go toward the head of the bed instead of just at the end of the bed. We've camped with the temps into the high 90's and low 100's and without the fans moving the air the inside temp stays around 80. Also, the wife purchased a fan for the refrigerator, I was surprised how much it helped over the Memorial Day Weekend.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coleman Mach 8 15K

Quote Originally Posted by Texaspsdx View Post
    My rear 15K AC unit will only put out 87* air. Front drops down into 60's quickly. Today, I ordered a new Coleman Mach 8 15K. Going to get rid of the Dometic. Texas is hot and need my cool!
    Texaspsdx, what were your deciding factor(s) to go with the Coleman Mach 8 15K unit? I would think that a new thermostat is required? Did you keep the forward unit,if you have one?
    Tim and Betsy
    Retired U. S. Marine (Tim)
    Retired Pastor (Tim)
    Active Golfer! (Tim)
    Current Physician Assistant (Betsy)
    2016 Solitude 366DEN
    2018 Chevrolet Crew Cab, DuraMax, 4WD, Dually, Long Box
    B&W Companion Hitch