User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mandolin57

Re: Full Timer Relections?

I appreciate everyone noting what you were able to find but in the meantime, we went to Schaeffers in PA to talk to the people there and check both of them out extensively. What we've found is that (and you can see this on GD website) the Reflection is made for week-ending and the Solitude is for extended living. One of the biggest differences is obviously the 6 point leveling system which the Reflection does not have, but also the Solitude has double luan thickness in the frame versus single in the Reflection (they were able to show us this in the door). Add to that the lighting is upgraded, and the Reflection does not have heated tanks (the underbelly is heated but the actual tanks are not) The Solitude has the ability to actually heat the tanks if we would be somewhere and the temperature would drop. We have decided that since were are already investing this much money, to just go ahead an pay slightly more to upgrade to the Solitude 305RE that we will be sure of. We will be living in this 365 days and traveling extensively and it would be a disaster to start out and in 6 months discover we made the wrong choice. I can honestly say the sales people at Tom Schaeffers in PA took the time and gave us the pros and cons of both. There was no pressure and either one were tempting, but our personal decision is to go with the 305 because of the above reasons.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Barry and Marianne,

Good choice. We love our 305RE. One thing I didn't see mentioned anywhere in this thread is that it comes with a 12 gallon hot water heater (vs. the 6 gallon in the Reflection) - really makes a difference when taking a shower and washing clothes.
    Steve & Mary - Fairfax, VA
    2014 Solitude 305RE
    2011 Ford F-450 Lariat DRW

mandolin57

Yes, i forgot to mention that. You're right...it's a big difference. Thanks for the reminder on that. We can't wait to order. Truck comes first this spring, and 305 this fall. Hopefully some good deals at the Hershey RV show in September. We're not even looking at any other makes/models now because this is definitely our choice and we feel sure there's nothing better for our likes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Barry and Marianne,
    Good choice! Especially since you're full timing.

If you're ordering...make sure you up grade the microwave to the convection/microwave combo...I sometimes wish I had ordered instead of buying off the lot. I upgraded the micro in my own coach...I though Bill and I would kill each other before we were done!
    Renee & Bill -- Central Louisiana
    2014 Solitude 305RE #404
    2007 F250

mandolin57

Certainly don't want THAT to happen! Thanks for the info! I think we're also getting a heat-pump as well. If you can think of anything else that is helpful please share. We love the feedback to help!

cuttinchief

I have a convection in our present but the new 379 we bought does not but having it in our other camper I have never used it. lol

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have been FT in our Reflection 367 BHS for 6 months. No problems, other than the 'newbie' issues that come up, handling the grey/black tanks, getting control of propane during colder weather. Two 30 gallon propane tanks don't last long if you are using the heater consistently. We found that the electric faux fireplace does a great job of heating up the RV, to save on propane.

But we have only moved 3 times. Not sure of structurally how it will do going forward and the wear and tear on the rig.

So far, we love it!!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, this is one old thread you've revived @fearless

That said, I too am full time in a Reflection. I wouldn't sweat moving it one bit. So far mine has seen a trip to NC, good portion of summer in Memphis, then Kansas, and winter in Colorado Springs (including what they called a "bomb cyclone"). Some of you may remember when I was going through some BS related to my fridge I became rather critical of GD, but after seeing the rig handle winter, I had a far greater appreciation for what they built. It might be kinda cool to see this ancient thread with dated warranty info morph into a Reflection full timer roll call.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Solitude is the better choice for full-timers, besides the extra creature comforts as already indicated, the Reflection is built more for the recreational user and for a lighter tow. Whether you compare a Solitude to Reflection or any RV for that matter, if you compare weights for same size units and see a big differential between said units, will be a clue to construction, typically the significantly heavier offering a more substantial unit.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can fulltime in many different rigs and depends on your traveling style. If I was going to be boondocking mostly, would get a rig with more tank capacity and overall larger cargo capacity for increased battery and solar equipment weight and heavier frame. This would make a solitude much better choice than a reflection. But if you are like us, staying mostly in campgrounds and occasionally doing some dry camping then the Reflection line is adequate. The 337rls would give us the option of more capacity and still have the mid profile we prefer to the higher profile solitude for our way of traveling.

We are on our second year of fulltiming with our Reflection 303rls. It has held up well through some rough roads, weather and other than minor issues, the suspension is its achilles heal. I plan to get that reinforced next summer before we head west. I added 2nd AC, disc brakes and a second battery. We carry a portable solar suitcase for dry camping.

Storage is more than adequate for us. But with the limited carrying capacity, I have to monitor weight and we have had it weighed per wheel, and at truck stops yearly. With 20 gallons of water we have onboard so we can overnight along routes, are 150lbs below GVWR of the 303 which is 11,995.
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW Diesel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12