User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TPMS (TST 507sg) running, had blowout. TPMS never reported problem !!

After about 3 hours into our 7 hour drive we were going thru a congested area (on ramps, right lane only etc....) and heard a strange noise. No evidence, no change in trailer feel. As soon as we cleared that mess (< half mile) we found a safe place to pull over and found passenger front trailer tire was totally gone. TPMS sensor and rubber; all gone. Rim was damaged since it rolled on pavement without tire. I have a 6 ton bottle jack but had to unsafely position it under a leaf spring end as the axle was too low to get the jack under the axle beneath leaf.

During all this time, we NEVER got a beep from TPMS. We finished the drive up then drove all the way home (7 hours) still no beep. The TPMS simply does not know the tire (and its sensor) are gone.

I called TPMS vendor and spoke to a technical person. She indicated NONE of the TPMS system on the market today will report a catastrophic tire failure. All of them report (4) things. Low pressure, you are losing pressure, high pressure and high temp. Seems if you get an instantaneous loss of pressure and the sensor was in the middle of sending an update, it will lock up the TPMS computer. Some must be warranty replaced to otherwise get them unlocked.

Bottom line: My year old TPMS system was useless with a blowout situation.
    2022 GD 2970RL (soon to be "released")
    2019 F350 Platinum, Shorter bed, Diesel, SRW, 3.55 rear, 55gal tank!
    2016 F150 Platinum (traded in for F350 fall 2019)
    2016 GD 2600rb (Sold)

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TPMSs will report a catastrophic failure if the sensor is still present and transmitting - I've had it happen. What the systems do not report is a missing sensor. From what you said, that seems to be the situation in your case.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So this begs the question, why not add a heart beat function to the device?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnTassi View Post
    So this begs the question, why not add a heart beat function to the device?
    This is a good question and I think the answer is the battery capacity of the pressure sensors. They immediately update the monitor if the pressure or temperature go outside the preset parameters within the individual sensor. Otherwise, they update the monitor every half hour or so. Thus, if a wheel breaks away or spins off the tread without damaging the carcass, no warning is given. With the TireMinder system, which does not have flow through sensors, removing a sensor to add air to the tire gives an opportunity to check TPMS function because you should hear the alarm go off as soon as the sensor is removed from the stem.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a bit of an expert on TPMS systems. I've installed and/or repaired and/or replaced hundreds of sensors. All TPMS sensors WILL report catastrophic failure. That said, proper installation and setup is a basic requirement. It is POSSIBLE though unlikely that the company selling the systems for trailers has them set so that for whatever reason a blowout is not reported. I cannot imagine why that would be. My gut feel is that the OP's tire was low when he left for the trip and eventually self destructed when heat got to it. With all evidence scattered along the roadside it is hard to say for sure. If I'm right then the noise they heard was the tire ripping apart and banging against the undercarriage, not an explosive depressurization.
    My advice to the OP is this: Let 10 lbs of pressure out of one tire and drive your rig. Drive a couple miles and see if you get an alert. If not, there's something amiss. Be sure to reinflate the tire to spec after your test. One last thing, if a battery dies or a tire containing a TPMS monitor disappears then the warning light will come on! Lack of signal is interpreted as a failure and the warning is lit up.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the TST 507 system. I was airing up the tires awhile back and had too much air in one. As soon as I pressed the valve stem to release air the alarm started going off. So if you have a large hole in your tire it will definitely report that to you within a half second.
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the TST 507 RV. IT most certainly should and will give a catastrophic loss of pressure alarm.

About 5 weeks ago I caught a front tire on a stone bridge while trying to squeeze into a tight place. Ruptured the tire and shattered the rim. The screaming of the monitor was the first indication I had screwed up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS
    TV 2017 Nissan Titan XD CC Diesel 4x4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am the OP. I am confident when I left home that day the tires were at 60psi; I checked. I have kinda done your test several times with prior trailer. When i put these TPMS sensors on, in April 2017, I rebuilt each sensor with o-ring and battery per the rebuild kit.

I called the manufacturer and was told in 2 languages that NONE of the TPMS systems on market today will handle a "catastrophic" pressure loss. Logic was something like "sensor checked in with acceptable readings. At next check, no readings presented." System does not know if battery failed, sensor is gone or other. As such, they go into "freeze" mode and sometimes require sending back to factory to get the firmware restarted.

Without splitting hairs, I think there are several types of catastrophic failures. Perhaps one is a sudden drop in pressure but the sensor is still attached and transmitting; that would sound alarm. Another scenario (likely mine) is the sensor is smacked off by a flying piece of tire and never gets to tell the system it bit the dust.

As for the noise we heard, I don't recall any flapping or any sounds of destruction. I really believe the tire just blew to pieces in fraction of second and rim made contact with roadway.

Either way, thanx for your inputs. I heard from manufacturer and they are sending me the newest model as soon as its released in early fall 2017. Hope I don't get to test the new one!

Quote Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
    I'm a bit of an expert on TPMS systems. I've installed and/or repaired and/or replaced hundreds of sensors. All TPMS sensors WILL report catastrophic failure. That said, proper installation and setup is a basic requirement. It is POSSIBLE though unlikely that the company selling the systems for trailers has them set so that for whatever reason a blowout is not reported. I cannot imagine why that would be. My gut feel is that the OP's tire was low when he left for the trip and eventually self destructed when heat got to it. With all evidence scattered along the roadside it is hard to say for sure. If I'm right then the noise they heard was the tire ripping apart and banging against the undercarriage, not an explosive depressurization.
    My advice to the OP is this: Let 10 lbs of pressure out of one tire and drive your rig. Drive a couple miles and see if you get an alert. If not, there's something amiss. Be sure to reinflate the tire to spec after your test. One last thing, if a battery dies or a tire containing a TPMS monitor disappears then the warning light will come on! Lack of signal is interpreted as a failure and the warning is lit up.
    2022 GD 2970RL (soon to be "released")
    2019 F350 Platinum, Shorter bed, Diesel, SRW, 3.55 rear, 55gal tank!
    2016 F150 Platinum (traded in for F350 fall 2019)
    2016 GD 2600rb (Sold)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that the Tireminder A1A will tell you if a sensor has not checked in, as well as if there is a pressure loss (major or minor). It does not freeze up. We had a couple of instances on our last trip where it failed to get a reading from a sensor and alerted us. A re-position the repeater unit was in order.
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)