Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Dang! Broken Wheel

Man, I am so glad for routines but I wish I had found it sooner.

We are headed out in an hour to take our kids and grandkids camping at the beach and I was checking tire pressures and found a broken wheel! Crap!!

I put the spare on and contacted Lionshead. They immediately sent me a claim form and I have sent it back with the required photos. I don't remember the warranty period on these but my trailer is 1 1/2 years old so I hope it's not an issue and they can get me a wheel quickly.

We take off on August 5th for 2 months including the Rally so if they won't replace under warranty, I need to find a vendor for a new set of wheels very, very quickly.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170724_120033.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	9134Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170724_112857.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	9135
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do think may have caused that? Do you remember hitting a curb or something in the road?

Bummer, hope all works out in your favor.

Jim
    Jim and Cal
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    Ram 3500 5.9

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Paul! Glad you caught it before you were on the highway
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That must have been some curb!
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Paul - Rob (Cate & Rob) is the mechanical engineer and can probably provide information on possible causes. But my understanding is that these are cast wheels which can have manufacturing defects that can show many miles and years down the road. Items like foreign inclusions, porosity and other defects can happen to a casting. So you may or may not have had an impact that caused this.

Jim

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We thought we had a flat tire a while back and it turned out to be a 2 1/2" long hairline crack in our rim. It had to be immersed in a water tank to finally find it as it was so slow it'd take a day and a half to deflate the tire. Doubt it was from a strike of some type as it on the inside of the rim in the direction of rotation. I guess defects happen and it took 3 years and 25,000 miles at 125psi to show itself.
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Paul,

Glad you saw that before it turned into an on-the-road wheel failure ! I agree with Jim that this looks like a casting stress relief fracture rather than something you could do with a driving impact. I have seen pictures of this type of failure on Lionshead wheels before. We should certainly plan to discuss this at the Rally Lionshead Tech Session.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy cow!!! Guess I need to start closing looking at my wheels now when I check my tires. Sheesh!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! So glad you caught it in time. I too will certainly be watching mine even closer than I already do.
    2015 Ram SRW 3500 4x4 Cummins
    B&W Patriot 16K
    2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHX (Traded)
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Scott & Jennifer
    Newnan GA

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Paul,

Glad you saw that before it turned into an on-the-road wheel failure ! I agree with Jim that this looks like a casting stress relief fracture rather than something you could do with a driving impact. I have seen pictures of this type of failure on Lionshead wheels before. We should certainly plan to discuss this at the Rally Lionshead Tech Session.

Rob
    Jeepers creepers - that is one ugly fracture!!

+1 The uniformity of the crack suggests it was caused during the casting process. Normal car rims don't see anywhere NEAR the torque loads an RV wheel sees and therefore a "cast" wheel is more than adequate. But when an RV rim/tire is being "scrubbed" and/or "dragged" in a turning maneuver, there's torque or twisting loads that the tires/rims see that car rims don't see. It's more costly, but a forged aluminum wheel would be an excellent solution since the forging process almost eliminates the possibility of these types of grain structure cracks. Honestly......with today's high-speed machining technology, manufacturers can hog out rims from forged aluminum billets like crazy. Additionally.....when stress engineers need certain grain directions, there a process called net forging where the part is forged almost complete and then it's "cleaned-up" on a CNC to yield the final product as designed.

And next week boys and girls, Uncle Tom will dispel the myth of "aircraft grade aluminum".

Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast