User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AMSolar Solar Panel Tilt Brackets vs N AZ Wind & Sun Universal Tilt Brackets

Anyone famaliar with both of these: The tilt solar panel brackets from AMSolar and the tilt brackets from Arizona Wind & Sun??

The AMSolar look like the cats meow, but the price is a little hard to swallow.http://amsolar.com/rv-mounting-accessories/91m-35ms
    http://amsolar.com/rv-mounting-accessories/91m-tbs155

The Az W & S are less than half the price. https://www.solar-electric.com/solar...t-bracket.html

Thoughts?? Or perhaps someone has made some nifty homemade ones, that would be even better....

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's interesting. I ran an experiment last year with my panels tilted directly at the sun vs. laying flat at about 9am while in Northern Oregon. When the panels were flat, the measured current flow was about 95% of the current when pointed directly at the sun. Instead of charging my batteries in about three hours while pointed directly at the sun, it took an extra 15-20 minutes. So I mounted my current panels with non-tilt brackets and I don't see any significant time increases in charging the batteries.

But those brackets from AM Solar sure look nice....

Jim

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought of that, but most of my boondocking will be in Oct and Nov, Thought I might need all the extra help I can get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post
    I thought of that, but most of my boondocking will be in Oct and Nov, Thought I might need all the extra help I can get.
    Dagwood_55,
    I bit the bullet and purchased the AM Solar ones. I plan on making my own tilting bars so I can tilt at a couple of levels, maybe 15%, 30% and 65% so that I can account for the time of year, camping location etc.... I need to revisit the NASA site and determine the correct angles for Northern Nevada and California.

Ben
    Ben & Camille
    2022 Ford F450 King Ranch
    B&W Factory Puck 5th Wheel Hitch
    2016 Reflection 303RLS 4/2015

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I went with 3 sets of the AmSolar tilt mounts too. They are very pricey. Let's see, I have had my solar now for just 1 year and have used my tilt mounts not even half the time when we are out but I'm glad I sprung for them. I camped at the beach last winter and I left them flat the first day and then tilted for the second day and my batteries got to full charge a couple hours quicker.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered the N Ariz ones today. In a week or so after mounting them I'll post up about them. Also order 3-160 panels, 40A Mppt controller, fuses, wire and all the good stuff to make, hopefully, a good solar system for my 303.

Seeing the low priced panels advertised is a little misleading. I think I paid more for the controller, fuses, wiring, etc than the panels....