User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    newreflect

Spare Tire Release

How does the spare tire come down on the 303RL Reflection? Thank you. Betsy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Spare Tire Release

I was wondering the same thing. It's too wet and cold for me to climb under it right now.
    Floyd - Lake Tenkiller, OK (and occasionally Okla City)
    2014 Reflection 303RLS #9
    2020 Transend Xplor 221RB
    2016 F150 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/HDPP and MaxTow

gary.l

When we were doing the tour of the GD plant tour we were shown how this is done. You use the same handle that you are furnished for moving the slides in an out manually. There is a hole in the side of the trailer to put the handle in and crank the spare down. I believe it is on the door side but not positive about that. As it is only 16 degrees out and snowy I will pass on going out to look at this time. I checked the manual which told how to change the tire but nothing on how to get it down. This may be something they might want to add.

newreflect

Thank you, Gary. All dealers might want to add that to their walkthrough. Thanks again. Betsy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recall seeing the extra crank hole now. Thanks.
    Floyd - Lake Tenkiller, OK (and occasionally Okla City)
    2014 Reflection 303RLS #9
    2020 Transend Xplor 221RB
    2016 F150 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/HDPP and MaxTow

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gary is correct. We exercised this when we swapped our 16" LT tires/wheels from our old trailer just after our PDI.

Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we were under the trailer adjusting the brakes, I noticed the spare was dangling and loose and had come off center on the bracket. This didn't sit right with me that this is normal. Always wondered what the hole was for. Now I know. This info does need to be made more known. Our pdi didn't cover this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gary.l View Post
    When we were doing the tour of the GD plant tour we were shown how this is done. You use the same handle that you are furnished for moving the slides in an out manually. There is a hole in the side of the trailer to put the handle in and crank the spare down. I believe it is on the door side but not positive about that. As it is only 16 degrees out and snowy I will pass on going out to look at this time. I checked the manual which told how to change the tire but nothing on how to get it down. This may be something they might want to add.
    That's interesting. They must have re-engineered it because in our 2015 there are 2 very different crank handles. One for the slides and one for the spare tire.

Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to crawl under the RV to get it, or to check air pressure. And while on my back, remove the holder from the center of the wheel, and muscle the tire out if I need to use it.......and with Chinese tires, I probably will. Someone had a carrier with a tire mount on it for the receiver hitch. I'll look into something like that. It would be much easier to deal with.
    2016 303RLS
    2010 Dodge 3500 SRW 4X4 Crew Cab, 3.73 axle ratio (now pushing 20,000 miles)
    Pullrite Superglide 16K
    Six five gallon fuel cans, converted away from CARB compliance, which reside, as needed, under my BAKflip G2

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After the first few miles with our 303, I noticed that the spare was dangling loose. This was when I next discovered that the hole in the fender skirt did not line up with the drive that lowers the spare .

But, the drive at the frame rail (that the handle would engage if the skirt hole lined up) is a 3/4" hex. A socket on my cordless drill works better than the manual handle anyway.

I decided that I would lower the spare and turn it over so I can access the valve stem without lowering the tire. (From Grand Design it was loaded with valve stem up . . . don't know if all are like that). The tire only came down about 2/3 of the way because the cable was tangled. I was certainly glad that I was doing this in my driveway in no rush . . . rather than beside a busy highway in the rain ! I was able to set the tire on a furniture dolly and extract it from the cable. I sorted out the tangled cable and raised the tire snug to the underbody. I have checked it a few times and it has remained in place for many thousands of miles.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast