Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RV skirting for Winter insulation

We are approaching our 5th year of winter RV'ing. Skiing has become one of our major retirement pursuits. As a result we are spending 3-4 months in sub-freezing weather. This is not normal for people who lived in Florida for over 20 years. Or is it? Digressing from the norm seems to an occupation of the retired. Folks from up north flock to Florida for a warm winter, so why not Floridians flocking to ski resorts for wintering.

There is a steep learning curve when it comes to living in an RV during extreme cold (-18F). These things just aren't built for that kind of cold. Fortunately for us it only lasted a couple of days and then went back to the norm of 23F. At 28F we managed to keep the average internal temp of the RV at 65F at a cost of about $500 a month. I recognize this is not "normal" behavior. One of the factors I have found that makes a difference in utility cost and comfort factor is RV skirting. Not only does it help the RV stay warmer, reduce energy cost, it helps to keep the plumbing from freezing up. I certainty wouldn't recommend this for someone headed to Florida or Arizona for the Winter. But for us weird people who can't help ourselves RV skirting is a good thing.

We took delivery for skirting for our new Momentum 376TH from Custom Skirting in Rapid City, SD. After shopping and considering for several years we decided to spend the extra bucks for their product. We made our own skirt for our old 5th wheel for a third of the cost. Took us about 10 days. So don't think this is the only way to go. The tracking system they use is more robust than anything else we have found. I picked up my home made skirt on more than one occasion after a winter blow.

The other factor is acceptance at some RV parks. This professional version is more acceptable than some other insulation that we have seen.

This picture does not represent the final product, it's and installation shot. Once it's on you tighten it up to look cool.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7280025.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	9214
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being our first winter in IN vs GA we opted for an insulated tarp skirting from a local company rvskirtingpros in akron IN. The end r value is around 7 equaling 1 1/2 to 2 in ridgid board but at a fraction of that thickness. In our case they were close enough to do the install fortunately. I have to say after several below freezing nights the difference was night and day. Their insulated system is very impressive from watching the install. The tarps are mostly connected using a bead that slides into a slot similar to slide out awning attachment channel which doesn't look bad at all with the tarps removed and seals more effectively. There are still some snaps but they are kept to an absolute minimum. Each 8 ft section of channel has 3m permanate body tape under and need only 3 screws to reinforce during cure. Install and removal after initial install is 30 mins. All side seams are heavy velcro and rivet reinforced. Talking with the owner they also provide DIY kits and extensive instructions and tools to handle yourself. The hardest part for me was setting weight on the outside corners and long straight runs as there's plenty of material rolled or flipped under for various heights you might encounter. Its very easy to access under by sliding the tarps to the sides.. All in all I can't speak highly enough for the company and product. For the record I dont have any affiliation or get any compensation. Just wanted to put it out there for others here to see and consider if they are looking for skirting. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211031_155717.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	37640Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211031_105918.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	37641
    Last edited by maxdixdragon; 11-11-2021 at 10:19 AM.
    2019 Solitude 377MBSR
    2018 RAM 3500 LB dually CC 4x4 deisel