Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EMS surge protector.

Hi Bill or Janice

Can you tell me where I can install this? http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_hw50c.htm

I have #218 Solitude 369RL which is pre-wired for a generator.

This is a PSA for our readers. The quoted text came from a RV-Dreams thread and I thought the GD owners should be aware of this type of situation.

" The campground did electrical work today and crossed some wires which has burnt out some of our electrical, cable box, Wii, washer and central vac. The adjuster can't come until Monday so we don't want to cause any more damage until they can look at it.

We're going to stay in a hotel so we don't cause more damage until it can be inspected.

Anyone dealt with this situation?

The worst part is he's not licensed He thinks (hopes?) it is just a panel that's damaged not the actual appliance. He offered to pay to replace the damage but I'm sure it's more than he's prepared to pay!"
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

cuttinchief

Re: EMS surge protector.

Most of my friends who own 5vers go into the panel area from your storage area. Where your main power 50amp ties into your breaker panel somewhere in there you will mount the progressive box( it has pictures and directions). Disconnect power cord from panel and connect that to the input side(it's all color coded). You will need a piece of 50 amp wire to go from the outlet side back to your panel. I've got one that the dealer is going to mount for me even though I can do it just got the install thrown in on the deal. I have pictures from friends if you need any but they are a different camper but their all pretty close. FOLKS THIS AN IMPORTANT item. It would help sales to include this or as an option. Most high end include them. Cost is 350 plus or minus.

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Red (@el Rojo),

If you are purchasing an aftermarket RV surge suppressor, we recommend using a portable style rated for 50 amps (where one end of the RV surge suppressor is plugged into the correctly rated 50 amp NEMA 14-50 RV external power source receptacle first, and then you plug your 50-amp RV shore line power cord into the other end of the RV surge suppressor). We do not recommend you hard-wire aftermarket electronics to, or modify the electrical system in your RV.

As stated in the Electrical Systems section of your owner manual, "Because the electrical equipment and associated circuitry are engineered into a dedicated system specific to your RV, we recommend you do not make unauthorized changes or add fixed appliances to it. Changes or additions made after delivery may result in a hazardous condition."

Please feel free to contact our Customer Service department directly at (574) 825-8000 if you have further questions.

Best regards,
    ~ Janice
    Mailing & shipping address: Grand Design RV, Attn: Customer Support, 13868 CR 4, Bristol IN 46507
    Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, closed holidays)

- Phones: Grand Design RV Corporate at (574) 825-8000 or Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
    - Fax: (574) 825-9249
    - Email: [email protected]

- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrandDesignRv
    - Twitter: https://twitter.com/granddesignrv
    - Google+: https://plus.google.com/113479014558069639097
    - LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/grand-design-rv-llc
    - Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/granddesignrv
    - YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHa...PuUd3J3NHNyXVQ

For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name, and phone number.

cuttinchief

The difference between the two are that you connect one outside the trailer and one is at the end of your power cord. Neither interfere with any electrical components in an RV any different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the KISS principle - I have the portable EMS.
    Floyd - Lake Tenkiller, OK (and occasionally Okla City)
    2014 Reflection 303RLS #9
    2020 Transend Xplor 221RB
    2016 F150 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/HDPP and MaxTow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the idea of the portable suppressor but maybe it's my years working in a federal prison. That is a 400 dollar item you just leaving hanging outside your rig with no fear of it walking away.
    Gary & Marie Rochester MN
    Nikki (Boston terrier)
    2014 Momentum 385TH
    2005 Ram 3500 5.9 diesel dually

cuttinchief

I'm with you country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After future research I need to revise my post. The EMS-PT50C comes with a built in lock bracket so you can secure it. I believe this is the unit I am going with.
    Gary & Marie Rochester MN
    Nikki (Boston terrier)
    2014 Momentum 385TH
    2005 Ram 3500 5.9 diesel dually

cuttinchief

It is the easiest. One comes before the power cord the other at the end of the powercords. Most dealers especially the high end rigs put the mounted one in before the sale to protect your power panel and appliances. Most folks in my other group use the installed one as well including the full timers. Never heard of it until it became a topic a few months ago. I thought the fuses would blow first but apparently not. So either one is a must investment.

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use the portable and lock it to the service post......
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS