User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny Conversation with a couple of Georgia State Troopers (No I wasn't pulled over)

I am copying this from a post I made to a truck forum this morning. Topic was weigh stations for RVs. Just an interesting conversation I had with a couple of State Troopers at breakfast last week.

This topic is always discussed ad-nauseum on truck and RV Forums. Funny timing this time though. Last weekend we were camping and had pulled into a diner to grab some breakfast on the way home. There were two Georgia State Troopers sitting at the table next to us and as I occasionally do for police and veterans I offered to pick up their tab and thanked them for their service. They were very grateful and we got to talking while the spouse was on the phone with her daughter. They asked me if I was local and said no, we were on way home from camping and they remarked on how they liked both the Titan and my fifth wheeler. So I brought the subject up about weights, weigh stations, and tow vehicles. I asked them if they ever pulled anyone over for being of being over weight.

They both laughed. The senior one said. "Look, there are so many trucks out there and so many different types of RV's that are ultra-lites, etc that there is no way we can keep up with what is in specification and what is not. You can look at the Georgia laws on RV's and trailers. No where does it talk about a maximum weight. (I listed that example below.) As long as you are not exceeding 10K an axle you are good anywhere in the country unless we see you swaying all over the road or having difficulty controlling your vehicle. You are not even required to go through weigh stations. Now if you are driving a small pickup and it is sitting on its rear axle with its nose in the air and you are pulling one of those monster three axle toy haulers you might get to talk to us." He nodded at my truck. "Your rig there would not even get my attention if it wasn't for liking your truck." Don't you look at the weight stickers on the trailers and the trucks if you pull them over, I asked. "Nope. Law says manufacturer has to put them there but no law says they can't be removed. How do I know if you had some body work or a paint job. Them stickers don't get replaced if they are removed." The junior trooper laughed. "I guess I exceed that sticker weight every time I go to the feed store and buy chicken feed every couple of weeks." The senior one laughed and agreed. As long as you have control of your vehicle don't worry about it."

That was just a casual conversation with two state troopers but I imagine that is the common mindset across the country.

As they said, below is the Georgia requirements for trailers...no mention of weight, tongue weight or anything.

Size Limitations: Height, 13'6"; Width, 8'6"; Trailer length, not stated; Motorhome length, not stated; Combined length, 60'. Triple towing is not allowed.
    Required Equipment: Safety chain, fire extinguisher in RV, flares or reflective signs, brakes required on trailers over 1500 pounds unladen weight. Wipers on/headlights on when conditions require. Headlights must be used when visibility is less than 500 feet.
    Riding in pickup camper only if riders have free access to drive compartment.
    Overnight parking is not permitted in state rest areas.

I just noticed I am in violation because I do not have flares or reflective signs.......
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS
    TV 2017 Nissan Titan XD CC Diesel 4x4

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The flares/signs thing caught my eye too. Another thing to add to the to-do list...

Dave

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife found these little LED disk lights that supposedly meets the requirements of flares and signs. I will try to remember to post a picture.

As far as regular law enforcement actually enforcing weight, or for that matter size restrictions, I don't see that ever happening. That is a DOT specialty type thing, and as we all know they don't care if it's not commercial. But, I do know a couple of ambulance chasing type attorneys in this area that are paying attention to the RV world. They see a whole new untapped income stream, and you know that those types don't let an income steam just flow by.
    Take care,
    Chris
    2017 Momentum 350M
    2016 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD Dually w/ B&W Companion Hitch

Seasoned Camper keywestparrothead's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to hear your story Jeff.

I added a set of these to the truck and found them to be very bright, can be attached to the back of the RV or sit on the ground in any weather.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2016 Momentum 376TH "The Beauty"
    2015 Ford F450 King Ranch Crew Cab "The Beast"
    2016 Indian Roadmaster "Our Toy"
    2013 BMW R1200GS Adventure "My Toy"
    ------------------------
    Previous addictions...
    2008 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    2008 Ford F350 6.4 KR CC
    2010 Montana 3750FL
    2008 CC Silverback 32LFGBS TT
    2004 Coleman/Fleetwood PU

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah but if you get in a wreck you can get sued and lose everything. At least that's what I read on the net. Of course you can get sued if you're at fault regardless of what your driving or towing. Pick your poison.

If LEO's really wanted to bust people for towing over weight all they'd have to do is sit outside the enterance to any RV park of CG and wait for RV'ers to leave. Sorta like sitting outside a bar and waiting for drunks to leave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keywestparrothead View Post

I added a set of these to the truck and found them to be very bright, can be attached to the back of the RV or sit on the ground in any weather.

Thanks...just ordered me a set!
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS
    TV 2017 Nissan Titan XD CC Diesel 4x4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keywestparrothead View Post

That's the things we got. Now I don't have to take a picture!
    Take care,
    Chris
    2017 Momentum 350M
    2016 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD Dually w/ B&W Companion Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Yeah but if you get in a wreck you can get sued and lose everything. At least that's what I read on the net. Of course you can get sued if you're at fault regardless of what your driving or towing. Pick your poison.

If LEO's really wanted to bust people for towing over weight all they'd have to do is sit outside the enterance to any RV park of CG and wait for RV'ers to leave. Sorta like sitting outside a bar and waiting for drunks to leave.
    Everyone gets sued if in accident... they sue the Insurance company, that is why you have insurance! I have never heard of anyone losing all their personal wealth over an accident(unless you had NO insurance) and of course everything you read on the internet is true!
    California is a NO-Fault state as with others. regardless what happens your insurance company takes care of you and then they fight with the other party to recover any money. As we all know and any LEO will tell you 99% of accidents are speed related, regardless what other factors. So if you worry about weight then slow down your speed to, if it 55mph drive 50.

Down south of Los Angeles, east of San Diego, there is a off road area where tons of Toy haulers go with families and ride their dirt bikes..... The CHP sits out on the highway waiting for them to leave the area and pull them over, NOT for weight... BUT do they have a RV endorsement on their driver's license, any 3 axle trailer or RV or over 10,000 lbs or triple's must have a RV endorsement.... they get all the 3 axle rv's, they do not carry portable scales around!! PLUS they check them to see if they had a beer or two!!!!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was pulled over tonight for no taillight or brake light on the left rear , received a warning , as the cop was pulling away I noticed no right rear taillight or brake light on his car

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought these. We also bought a larger fire extinguisher and put it in place of the OEM smaller one just inside and left of the door. I placed the smaller OEM one down inside the cubby hole of our 2950.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails reflector.jpg  
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast