Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Equal-i-zer 4-point WDH question

I have a question for those of you running the Equal-i-zer 4-point WDH. We have the 10K setup on our Chevy 1500 pulling our 2800BH. Now that it is setup correctly, it does a nice job with weight distribution and sway control for sure. No complaints there. My question is noises from this setup. I have never used a WDH before, so no past experience, but is it "normal" for them to make goaning and creaking noises when turning? This this is quite noisy on any turns at pretty much any speed, especially lower speeds, which most turns are with the TT hooked up. And I know not to lube the L brackets since that friction is part of the sway control and don't want to take that away. I do need to lube the bar receivers in the hitch head - per Equal-i-zer recommended procedure, but other than that, will there still be noise? That just part of the design. Seems even louder when get to campgrounds and getting backed in to camp spot.

Thoughts or input? Anything I should be checking or just go with it as being normal?
    Eric & Andrea
    2016 Silverado 1500 LT 4x4
    2017 Imagine 2800BH

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be getting the exact setup you have and have researched the EQ WDH. Everything I have read states this is very normal. Check this out and read the reviews! Hope it helps http://amzn.to/2dxdsvm

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I read the reviews on the Equalizer hitch and the noise is the one common complaint. Otherwise, they are a great hitch. My son has one on his trailer and it also makes noise, but it is rock solid when towing. We elected to go with the Blue Ox Sway Pro which is another highly rated hitch, but doesn't have the noise issue. We should get the new trailer in a week or two and I'll try it out.

Jim

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinger51 View Post
    I will be getting the exact setup you have and have researched the EQ WDH. Everything I have read states this is very normal. Check this out and read the reviews! Hope it helps http://amzn.to/2dxdsvm
    Thanks for that link. I had not seen those before! Just ordered a set to be delivered tomorrow so will get to try them out this weekend. Will see if that helps without hurting sway control, although not going very far this weekend, but has been pretty windy around here lately and traveling section of high semi traffic bit of interstate. So hopefully get ok test of them.
    Eric & Andrea
    2017 Imagine 2800BH

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I towed a 8,000 boat with the Equal-I-zer and it did make noise, but it was a small price to pay for knowing that the trailer is staying behind me. I have a husky centerline (i think that's what they call it) and it is a similar design, but seems to make less noise.
    Greg & Mary - Rhode Island
    2017 Imagine 2800BH
    2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 Z-71 5.3L 4x4 AME HD transmission

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric91Z View Post
    Thanks for that link. I had not seen those before! Just ordered a set to be delivered tomorrow so will get to try them out this weekend. Will see if that helps without hurting sway control, although not going very far this weekend, but has been pretty windy around here lately and traveling section of high semi traffic bit of interstate. So hopefully get ok test of them.
    No problem..Let us know how it works!!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been pleased with the Equal-I-zer overall, just the noise is annoying. Guess that is what metal, under tension, sliding on metal will do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eric & Andrea
    2017 Imagine 2800BH

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, got the pads on there. 10 mile trip and still pretty noisy. I have the Equal-I-see grease and hadn't used any for couple months. Got some on the ball and top and bottom of the bar sockets. That, with the pads, REALLY quieted things down!

Weird thing found when greasing the hitch head parts: the driver's side bar "socket" has some gouging in the top of it. Not sure why that is happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eric & Andrea
    2017 Imagine 2800BH

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 12k version and I transferred it from my toy hauler down to our Imagine 2150. I noticed that over time a few thousand miles of towing, it quieted down. I don't have the pads for the "L" brackets and I make sure to check all the bolts with a torque wrench on a regular basis. I had a period of noise once, and that was when I went from old trailer to new. In a hurry to get on the road and out of the dealer I did not use a speed square to make sure the brackets that clamp to the tongue and hold the "L" brackets were perpendicular to the tongue. I think this caused the torsion bars to not rid flat in the "L" brackets. I know the instructions did not mention this, but I know I did this when I had set the system up on my toy hauler. I hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was surprised by the noises the 1400 pound equalizer made, until I did some research and found suggestions to lube the top and bottom where the WD bars go into the draw bar. Pretty quiet since. I lube before each trip using slide lubricant

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Dave & Becky
    Always camping with the K9s. The boys are grown and rarely join us anymore.
    Colorado Springs, CO
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS
    2012 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB 6.7L PSD
    (now retired) Mildly massaged 2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L PSD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast