Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conflicting Labels, Why the Difference?

Okay truck capacity Gurus...

Looking at the labels on my truck, there is conflicting information and the weights do not match. See pics.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Truck Weight.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	5515

Name:	Label1.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	5516

Name:	Tire.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	5517

Name:	Label2.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	5518

Okay, looking at the Federal label, my RAWR is 7,050 lbs. Minus the trucks rear axle weight from the weight ticket (3,040 lbs), gives me 4,010 lbs of capacity remaining. If I look at the weight rating on the tires themselves, I also come up with 7,050 lbs, which to me confirms the Federal label and gives me the same remaining capacity of 4,010. I understand that weight is variable depending on fuel, passengers, etc. But if I look at the other label, it states "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 3,677 lbs. Note, it says "should", not "shall", and there is a difference. Also note that the GVWR is 11,600 lbs, minus the trucks weight of 7,720 lbs leaves me with 3,880 lbs remaining, which is under the 4,010 lbs (this is the actual capacity I'm looking at to determine what I can safely tow, just to clarify, and not the 4,010). But it is still over the other weight rating. Can anyone enlighten me why there is conflicting information?

To illustrate the point for argument sake, lets say I'm fully loaded and ready to camp. I pull on the scales and weigh the rig. With me, wife, and dogs, full fuel and fluids, and camper on the back. My FAW is now 4,935, my RAW is now 3,295 lbs, and my pin weight is 3,200 lbs. This gives me a RAW of 6,495 + FAW of 4,935 = GVW of 11,430 lbs. This makes me under (barely I know) all weights on the Federal label, but over (cargo weight) on the other label.

John
    Last edited by LV Naturist; 09-13-2016 at 12:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John--first of all I am no guru but have played one on TV while having a refreshment with the most interesting man in the world !

Was the truck full of fuel and were you in the truck?......as I recall GM payload includes factoring in full fuel, actual truck options, and 180 lb driver. Having a scale truck weight reflecting 203 lbs greater payload v.s. door sticker is puzzling. Ours and most others trucks were/are heavier due to options and accessories added after the factory build weight and thus reduce payload further.

Technically the 3677 payload is what counts but rear spring and tire ratings are commonly used as you know.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toes in the water View Post
    John--first of all I am no guru but have played one on TV while having a refreshment with the most interesting man in the world !
    I've actually met him!

Name:	Interesting Man.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	5522

Was the truck full of fuel and were you in the truck?......as I recall GM payload includes factoring in full fuel, actual truck options, and 180 lb driver. Having a scale truck weight reflecting 203 lbs greater payload v.s. door sticker is puzzling. Ours and most others trucks were/are heavier due to options and accessories added after the factory build weight and thus reduce payload further.

Technically the 3677 payload is what counts but rear spring and tire ratings are commonly used as you know.

Dan
    The truck had just over 1/2 tank of diesel, and in my calculations I compensated for that. All other fluids were full (including my bladder LOL). It is puzzling because (and I tend to over-analyze stuff) no matter how I look at the numbers, I can not account for that 203 lb difference. I do realize in the big picture that much of a weight difference is insignificant, but my inquiring minds want to know... Thanks for your reply.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=LV Naturist;80406]I've actually met him!

Name:	Interesting Man.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	5522

John--now how funny is that......which one is cardboard ? LOL !!!
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide