Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Fire Escape Window - Yikes

I'm going to be hosting a discussion on disaster planning at the Elkhart Rally. While preparing for the topic, I decided to actually practice going out the escape window in our 2017 297RSTS. Holy $#@^!!! It might just be easier to go charging into the flames and get it over with.

First of all, the window frame is designed like a French Revolution guillotine. Which body part falls off depends on whether you go feet first or head first. Next, I'd suggest you keep a cast iron skillet available to strap to your buttocks. That metal arm thingy on the window frame has a tendency to do some splendid goosing. Then, If you are lucky enough to not be dismembered or impaled, you'll need to have a trampoline on the ground to land on or you'll break every bone in your body.

Seriously, it was VERY difficult to get out of that window. It took me a full minute to do it as quickly as I could. And there was no smoke and flame obscuring my vision.

If you can't make it our of the main door and have to use the window exit, close the bedroom door to buy yourself some more time. You might want to practice opening that window and removing the screen before you need to do it in an emergency. Figure out who is going out first ahead of time. Put the bedspread over the window frame to provide some padding and go feet first. It's a long way to the ground from my travel trailer, and even farther from a fifth wheel. Make sure you don't leave items like bicycles under the window when you go to bed.

Hopefully, you'll never have to do this in a true emergency, because it's very, very tough.

Jim

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeez Jim, that window frame scraped most of your hair off. Seriously we've looked at this and hats off to you for actually trying it. I always figured if the joint caught on fire I'd dive out the window head first and deal with the consequences later. I was just out in the garage sharpening a small ax. Wonder if keeping one in the bedroom would help in making a larger hole in the wall. In any case a fire extinguisher in the bedroom is probably a good idea. We had one stored there in our boat just in case.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, I just looked at our 337, it would have to be front door for us. No way we can get through that window!

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim and Bonnie View Post
    Jim, I just looked at our 337, it would have to be front door for us. No way we can get through that window!
    If that's the case, I'd keep at least one five pound dry chemical extinguisher handy to try and fight your way out.

Jim

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uncanny timing on your post Jim. My wife & I were laying in bed in our 303 the other night and she asked me about that. We discussed our plan but in the end she said that window exit, in her words "its gonna hurt"
    Bob & Donna - Maryland
    2017 303 RLS
    2023 Ford F350 CCLB 6.7 Diesel w/B & W Companion 3300 hitch

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, a heavy hammer or something to break out the UPPER window forcing the lower to drop away would allow more room and might be a better idea. If a real fire ever starts, a broken window would be the least of the loss worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jim . . . funny how thoughts occur on one thread that end up being applicable to another. I just posted this on another thread where someone mentioned the OE fire extinguisher beside the door.

. . . Speaking of fire extinguishers . . . the one by the door is totally inadequate for putting out much more than a candle.
    I keep larger ones inside the tailgate of the truck, in the curb side propane locker and in the bedside table.
    In the event of a night time fire, I would prefer to take one shot at knocking down the flames long enough to get out the main door rather than figuring out how to get us out that "escape window" and the following 7 ft drop to the ground.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Jim . . . funny how thoughts occur on one thread that end up being applicable to another. I just posted this on another thread where someone mentioned the OE fire extinguisher beside the door.

. . . Speaking of fire extinguishers . . . the one by the door is totally inadequate for putting out much more than a candle.
    I keep larger ones inside the tailgate of the truck, in the curb side propane locker and in the bedside table.
    In the event of a night time fire, I would prefer to take one shot at knocking down the flames long enough to get out the main door rather than figuring out how to get us out that "escape window" and the following 7 ft drop to the ground.

Rob
    And lemme tell ya... That piddly little fire extinguisher that comes with the unit is like a fart in a hurricane when it comes to putting out a burning truck fire. Just saying...

I have three five dry chemical extinguishers too. One in the bed of the truck, one in the outside entertainment center which is always unlocked, and one in the bedroom closet. I agree wholeheartedly about trying to get out the door. That escape window is absolutely the last chance to save yourself.

It would be fun to challenge the GD management team to have a relay race at the rally. First one out gets a six pack of beer. But if they leave a body part in the window, they get a ten second penalty.

Jim

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    It would be fun to challenge the GD management team to have a relay race at the rally. First one out gets a six pack of beer. But if they leave a body part in the window, they get a ten second penalty.

Jim
    I REALLY LIKE this idea !!!

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're killing me Jim. It took me 10 minutes to read the first post to Pam out loud. When you see me at the rally I'll probably still be laughing. This is going to be a fun rally.

I have installed a smoke detector in the basement behind the "wall". It's next to the floor vent in the kitchen, I hope we can hear it if needed.

I would also like to find a remote temperature sensor with an temperature adjustable alarm say at 140 degrees. Alerting us of potential issues.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast