Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Searching for protective storage for the winter

Hello,

We got a new 27RL 5th wheel this June and I do not want it to sit outside during the winter months here in south west Pennsylvania. My current storage location is great as it has 24 / 7 monitoring and is very close to my house. It just does not have covered storage nor can I erect a carport type myself there.

I have been looking for a place to safely store it over the winter and have not found a 100% suitable option. We have no plans to use the RV during the winter but things do happen.

Here is what I have found so far:

1. Purchase a high end cover and cover it leaving it in current location.
    While it would still be close to home and receive some protection I am concerned about the cover rubbing and damaging the exterior of my RV. I believe that I would have to check on it frequently to insure that all straps are snug and cover is not blowing around. It would require that I have help to cover it as I am disabled and getting up on the roof would not work for me, The other negative is cost versus longevity of cover. From my research the covers seem only to last 3 to 5 years. I could be wrong on this.

2. Underground Limestone Mine
    There are 3 separate facilities within an hours drive of me that store your RV underground in a closed limestone mine. The cost is actually the same or a few dollars less than what I pay now. The temperature remains at a constant 52 degrees so no need to winterize. I would still empty tanks and blow out my water lines. The drawback for these mines is the humidity levels. The humidity is at 65% give or take constantly. I worry about mold and mildew and any other issues the humidity level could cause. I would still have access to inspect my RV as long as I notify the site I am coming. I can even get RV out early if I needed to.

3. Local County Fairgrounds rent under roof space
    Several of the county fairgrounds rent space in their buildings for winter storage. The cost for this is more money than the mine storage. Cost is aa factor somewhat as I am on a fixed income. Also once your RV is stored you have no access to it until April 1st. You cannot check on it and certainly can't get it out if you needed to. The RV would still need to be winterized which is no problem. I read mixed reviews about storing at these locations with the negatives being rodent infestation roof leaks onto RV and damage occurred while storing. From what I understand the RV's are packed into the buildings as tight as possible to make the most of the space.

4. Find a local garage, barn, or building to rent space from
    I have been looking for a space to rent but so far have come up empty. I have been searching Craigslist, Google, local papers and riding around the area but have only found space for automobiles. If anyone knows of a website or another method for this approach please let me know.

5. Winterize and leave as is
    I really do not want to do this as we get lots of snow and rain along with constant freezing and thawing all winter long. I did do this with my old 5th wheel and the weather took a toll on it.

What solution makes the most sense to you and why? Is there another solution that I have not thought about? I really want to make a decision soon as places like the mines require a reservation and they fill up every year.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Dave
    Me my dear wife and three cocker spaniels
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
    2013 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD LTZ Diesel Extended Cab Long Bed

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Living in Minnesota and being a weekender, we store our Solitude 10 miles away at a secure outdoor facility. We purchased an Elements cover from Camping World and have covered it the past two winters without any issues of damage to the coach. We did the same with the previous TT and it was quick to remove the cover from the TT after the season for the trade to the Solitude.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0429.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	9332
    Barb, Lyle and the 3 four-legged kids
    2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go with the limestone mine deal. Put some dry-eze or something similar for the moisture.
    Robert/Sandy/Lily (mini Yorkie)
    2015 Grand Design 313RLTS
    2008 Dodge 2500 Cummins (modified)
    Past units: 85 Holiday Rambler TT, 88 Jayco 5th wheel, 91 Avion 5th wheel, 94 Hitchhiker 5th wheel, 2000 Discovery motorhome, 2001 Mountain Aire motorhome, 2005 42' Travel Supreme motorhome, 2014 Outback TT

http://i.imgur.com/cie9h38.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have been using covers for the past three RV's and never an issue...one exception. Last year one of my tennis balls fell off a gutter spout and it rubbed a hole in the cover before I noticed it. An iron on patch fixed the cover as good as new. A $500-$600 cover should last you at least three years. If you can find storage for $16 a month the covers cost then go for it. I prefer to have the RV at the house where I can keep an eye on it.
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS
    TV 2017 Nissan Titan XD CC Diesel 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dave,

We store our RV at the Wampum underground storage. http://wampumunderground.com/ We have had no problems with moisture, however, we do put damp rid in the camper when in storage. It is a little over an hour from Washington PA. Good luck with you solution.
    323 Reflection BHS
    3500 Sierra Duramax[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Life is Good, talk to me about that kayak rack. I have been looking for some way to carry Kayaks since not practical on top of truck. I was even looking at a modular two person Kayak but I really like what you have done. Does the slipstream catch the top of the Kayaks and cause any problems?
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS
    TV 2017 Nissan Titan XD CC Diesel 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, we got our rack from https://www.rvkayakracks.com/ You give them precise measurements of your RV and Larry will make you a rack that fits perfect. Our rack also carries two bikes. Tell Larry that Bob and Bunny LaGamba referred you. We have cockpit covers on the kayaks and have had no problems with transporting them. Take care and happy traveling!
    323 Reflection BHS
    3500 Sierra Duramax[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]