User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black tank valve

Is anyone else having problems with their black tank valve not holding? I have a 2016 308BHTS and just had it replaced under warranty but the problem is still occurring. I have waste at the cap when I go to attach my sewer hose. I have been using my backflush valve as another termination valve and with the clear fitting on it I can see the leakage during travel.
    Dan, Marcia, Emilee, Tanner, Zac
    2020 Chevy 3500 HD Crew 6.6L Duramax
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, it's the angle of the discharge pipe connection to the tank. It's fairly level instead of a downward slope which does not allow complete drainage. Lot of owners install a twist-on gate valve which eliminates the surprises when removing the cap.
    Marvin & Marion
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    2008 Ram 2500HD

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Marvin that is my plan.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After sitting for 3 weeks with the blue deoderizer treatment in the black tank and the valve closed I now see it at my clear fitting on the sewer discharge outlet. That pretty much proves to me the black tank dump valve does not hold and is letting it leak by, so it really has nothing to do with the angle of the discharge pipe.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirsea View Post
    Yep, it's the angle of the discharge pipe connection to the tank. It's fairly level instead of a downward slope which does not allow complete drainage. Lot of owners install a twist-on gate valve which eliminates the surprises when removing the cap.
    Thanks Sirsea! Just took care of the same issue today by purchasing a twist-on gate valve. Problem solved!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I did too.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan the man View Post
    After sitting for 3 weeks with the blue deoderizer treatment in the black tank and the valve closed I now see it at my clear fitting on the sewer discharge outlet. That pretty much proves to me the black tank dump valve does not hold and is letting it leak by, so it really has nothing to do with the angle of the discharge pipe.
    Congrats on proving this issue on your trailer, but for others who may find this thread later I want to give a nod to the advice above from @Sirsea that waste might be trapped in the outlet system.

I've proved that the black tank valve on our Solitude is NOT leaking as yours is, yet each time we move the trailer we have roughly a half-gallon or so of waste water collected at the discharge cap. It's obviously getting trapped somewhere AFTER the valves on our trailer. Tipping the trailer up and down with the hydraulics while dumping doesn't release that waste, so apparently the side-to-side rolling that occurs as we drive around does that.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have suspected that my gate valve on my black tank was not always closing all the way. There have been times when I check the light on the panel and it reads 3/4 or full. I go out the next day to drain it and very little comes out. I flush it good and try to push the valve closed as much as I can. I emptied the tank in April at the last RV park we stayed at on the way home from Florida. When we got home I put the sanitizer and 5 gallons of water in the tank. Today I went out to sanitize the water lines and water tank and when I pulled the cap off of the pipe, all of the blue sanitizer and water came out all over the ground. I flushed the water lines and let the gray (sanitized) water run out. I will be calling GD tomorrow morning and find out what to do. I am not sure if it is still covered being 18 months old but it is something I will probably do myself. Do any of you know how involved this is ?