User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suspension bolt falling out

So after purchasing a 2018 Imagine 2800bh last month and having it out for the second time this weekend, I woke up to an annoying beep in the middle of the night. I stumbled around for a while finding and pulling the batteries from the smoke and co detectors and verifying the lp detector wasn't the beep. After a while I shut a window and found the noise was outside. I shut the windows and went back to bed. In the morning I went outside and still heard it. I assumed someone else's camper but it was loudest near the outside of the furnace. I could not pin point it though so looked everywhere including on top of the trailer and under it. That's when I noticed the passenger side nut for the leaf spring shoulder bolt was about to fall off and hanging on by a thread. I turned it off by hand and looked at the end of it. The one shoulder of the bolt had fallen in and the frame was sitting on the threads. Luckily the campground had a jack and we were able to get the bolt back in and tightened up. Are these bolts supposed to have threadlock or something to prevent the nut from loosening or was it just an oversight at the factory. The beeping also immediately stopped and I never found where it came from.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The nuts are a crush nut which is supposed to retain torque. They are only good for one use. I've been trying to encourage owners to check the torque before hitting the road. Set your torque wrench to 40-45 ft/lb. If any of them are loose, I'd replace them or use red Loctite on them.

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the response, if that were the case why could I spin the nut on and off by hand? I am picturing a nylock type nut. I did check the rest before leaving.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brihark2000 View Post
    Thanks for the response, if that were the case why could I spin the nut on and off by hand? I am picturing a nylock type nut. I did check the rest before leaving.
    Brihark2000 - This is usually an indication that the nut has been used more than once. It has been removed or it backed off fore some reason and has been put back on or even just retightened. A new nut will go on about 3 threads and then "jam" in the "crunched" outer threads. This is the torque retaining feature. If the nut is moved back and forth on the bolt, these outer threads are reamed out and the torque retention ability is lost. This type of nut should be installed and tightened only once.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS