User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hitch types

Rizzles

Hitch types

Hello all, we ordered a 369RL this past weekend after a long search and are excited to get back into the RV scene. This is our first fifth wheel and so many questions are running through my mind.
    I'd like to get an idea on the type of hitches being used with your tow vehicle and if cab to cap clearance is an issue with a those who are towing a 369RL and a short bed?
    Thanks!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Hitch types

What kind of truck do you have?
    Steve and Schlonda- Virgie, Kentucky
    2017 Momentum 328M
    Morryde 8K Independent Suspension, Disk Brakes
    2021 GMC Denali 3500 SRW
    Airlift Wireless Air
    B&W Companion Slider

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Welcome to the forum Jay and Bobbie!

We have the Pullrite Superglide and we love it.

Rizzles

We don't have a truck yet and are out shopping. I like the Dodge 3500, however would like to see the 2015 Chevy 3500 in person before making a decision. Not sure to go for a long bed or short bed and am looking for some feedback from those of you currently towing with both.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOVE those new 2015 GM trucks!! Wish one was in the budget, would trade the Dodge in a heartbeat.
    Korey SE WI
    2014 Denali 3500HD LML DRW 4wd FS Airbags 20k Reese
    2014 Momentum 385TH #1396
    2013 Manitou SES VP 150hp Mercury 4 stroke
    Volunteer Firefighter Since 1997

Salty Dog

We have a short bed and are looking at the 369RL. I emailed Grand Design and Ryan responded and said that the front cap designs allows for a 77 degree turn using a standard hitch in a short bed.
    FYI We are looking at the Reese Goose Box option. It is approved by the chassis manufacturer.

Rizzles

[quote author=Salty Dog link=topic=369.msg2599#msg2599 date=1392687425]
    We have a short bed and are looking at the 369RL. I emailed Grand Design and Ryan responded and said that the front cap designs allows for a 77 degree turn using a standard hitch in a short bed.
    FYI We are looking at the Reese Goose Box option. It is approved by the chassis manufacturer.
    [/quote]

Thanks, didn't know the cap allows for a 77 degree turn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a 2012 GMC 3500HD with a long bed and I like it a lot better than the previous truck I had with a short bed. I like having more space to carry stuff as well as having more turning room especially in some campgrounds where the spots are tight. I had a slider hitch in the other truck but did not find it to be an awful lot of help especially because I had to manually release the lever.
    I had a HUSKY slider hitch in the old truck, have a Pull-Rite in the new truck and really like it a lot. I also heard they are not going to make long beds anymore in some trucks, not sure why that is because I love my long bed.

Debby - Stafford, Virginia
    2017 Grand Design Solitude ST374TH
    2012 GMC Denali 3500HD DRW

SGTABN82

I am planning on purchasing a 305RE. Can someone tell me if my current hitch set up is going to work? I have a 2013 Ford F250 6.7 Power Stroke diesel with a short wheel base. (4X4). The Reese hitch is rated for 16K. My question is about the distance from the center of the 5th wheel hitch (pin) to the back of the cab is 46 inches.

Can someone tell me the distance from the center of the kingpin to the front edge of the front cap? Then I can figure out the distance I have t play with.

Or even easier................if anyone is pulling their Solitude with an F250 SWB please let me know how its working out for you.

Also note the external fuel tank in the bed.........is this going to be a problem? I think it will be fine as it is mounted below the top edge of the bed. any thoughts?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo 1.JPG   photo 2.JPG   photo 3.JPG  

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the forum SGTABN82,

There are a few people who tow Solitudes with F250's, they can tell you their experiences.

Generally, an F250 can pull a Solitude, but their cargo capacity is not sufficient. My F250, short bed, 4X4 has a cargo capacity of 2193, as indicated on a plate inside the driver's door.
    That includes the hitch, weight of occupants, weight of aux. fuel tank, weight of fuel in the tank, and anything else carried in the truck.

The hitch weight of the Solitude 305 is 2500 pounds. Your truck may have more capacity than mine, but I don't think it has enough for a Solitude and the other stuff you will carry.

People with short bed trucks really like the auto-sliders such as a Pull Rite. Your fuel tank should not be a problem since it does not stick up above the bed. Your Reese hitch may have a maximum towing weight sticker on it. If not, go to the Reese web site and find your hitch and that towing weight maximum.

Robert & Sheila, Amarillo, TX
    2013 F250 short bed crew cab, diesel, 4X4, Firestone air bags
    2014 Reflection 337, Michelin XPS Ribs, Anderson Ultimate Fifth wheel hitch

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast