Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hitch types

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Hitch types

[quote author=SGTABN82 link=topic=369.msg2719#msg2719 date=1392913900]
    Or even easier................if anyone is pulling their Solitude with an F250 SWB please let me know how its working out for you.

Also note the external fuel tank in the bed.........is this going to be a problem? I think it will be fine as it is mounted below the top edge of the bed. any thoughts?
    [/quote]

SGTABN82, we pull our Solitude 305RE with our F250 SWB truck with a tool box in the back also. We are using a Reese 16K hitch. We have no problems.

We do however mostly camp in Louisiana, east Texas, Mississippi, and southern Arkansas. Having only purchased in Aug 2013, we've only made local camping trips so far. According to my dealer, we should have no problems pulling our Solitude and so far we've had none. She pulls easy over interstate and local Louisiana roads. We do not boondock camp, so we travel with empty tanks and since our trips are usually weekend or 4 days at the most so far we do not pack a fully stocked pantry or fridge, or have a loaded camper.

I guess the real test will come this summer when we do a 6-8 week extended-stay trip to Pahrump, NV. We plan on traveling Route 66 (for part of the way) and I 40 (even seeing the Grand Canyon!). We also plan on going to Branson, Mo. I'll let you know how it goes as we move up in elevation!
    Renee & Bill -- Central Louisiana
    2014 Solitude 305RE #404
    2007 F250

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The biggest thing to watch is in tight maneuvers.

The Solitude is 101" wide, and you don't have a slider hitch. How much space is between the pin hole on your hitch and the cab of your truck?

You said it is 46", so you won't be able to do tight turns if needed, as half of 101 is 50 1/2"....

Be careful with backing into tight sites, and if you need to maneuver at fuel pumps.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

SGTABN82

Renee

Thanks for the info. Makes me feel a lot better now. We plan on sticking to the flat lands between New Mexico and Florida.

SGTABN82

[quote author=huntr70 link=topic=369.msg2777#msg2777 date=1392982543]
    The biggest thing to watch is in tight maneuvers.

The Solitude is 101" wide, and you don't have a slider hitch. How much space is between the pin hole on your hitch and the cab of your truck?

You said it is 46", so you won't be able to do tight turns if needed, as half of 101 is 50 1/2"....

Be careful with backing into tight sites, and if you need to maneuver at fuel pumps.
    [/quote]

Thanks for the info.........

gary.l

Hello, I had inquired from e-trailer for instructions on making these measurements and this was their response. This is the link to it. http://www.etrailer.com/question-65941.html?fb=yes

Salty Dog

I have a short bed GMC. Below is the answer I got directly from the factory.

John

Good Morning.

Unfortunately we do not have the specifications you are looking for. We can tell you that the unit does have a 77 degree turning radius with the design that is on the unit when they are produced from the factory using a short bed truck. Hope this helps. If you have any further questions please feel free to contact our service dept.

Thank You

Ryan Prough

Warranty Manager

RVIA/RVDA Certified Tech

(Ph) 574 825 8000

(Fax) 574 825 9700

SGTABN82

Thanks Salty Dog

Cruisin Camper

We have a B&W goose neck with companion and really like it. Nice to take it out and use my cabover too.

Rizzles

Thanks for the info in this thread. We decided to go with a DRW Ram 3500 long bed for towing our 369RL. After we ordered the truck last week I contacted the RV dealer and he mentioned that the 2014 Ram 3500 with the fifth wheel prep was limited to a few hitches. This was news to me, so we did some research and confirmed it. The problem is that Ram redesigned the under rail system in the 2014 model and the prep didn't line up with many hitches currently on the market. After some searching around I found that B&W recently developed a hitch to fit the new Ram setup and they are expected to hit the streets soon. So we went ahead and had our dealer get one on order because I'm sure they will go fast.
    We were very meticulous when shopping for a tow vehicle. I developed spreadsheets to calculate GCWR, GVRW, cargo capacity, and towing capacity of prospective trucks to ensure we would not be over any weight rating or be restricted in payload or towing capacity. I just assumed that the fifth wheel prep would accommodate any hitch out there and did not research this. So, those of you searching for a tow vehicle might want to consider what hitches will fit if you go with a factory fifth wheel prep option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rizzles, if you bought a Cummins you wouldn't need a spread sheet!! I saw them at the RV show today and they have a 29,000 lb tow capacity, that is some crazy numbers!!! Nice trucks though. Congrats on the new rig, I have been looking for a new one myself.. Happy camping!
    Korey SE WI
    2014 Denali 3500HD LML DRW 4wd FS Airbags 20k Reese
    2014 Momentum 385TH #1396
    2013 Manitou SES VP 150hp Mercury 4 stroke
    Volunteer Firefighter Since 1997

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast