User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hitch types

Rizzles

Re: Hitch types

[quote author=Kordog link=topic=369.msg3185#msg3185 date=1393740198]
    Rizzles, if you bought a Cummins you wouldn't need a spread sheet!! I saw them at the RV show today and they have a 29,000 lb tow capacity, that is some crazy numbers!!! Nice trucks though. Congrats o the new rig, I have been looking for a new one myself.. Happy camping!
    [/quote]

I was very surprised to see how many prospective trucks would be overweight once we loaded it and hooked up the loaded trailer. Many had remaining cargo capacity, but would be over the GCWR and I did not want to worry about being restricted and continually wondering if we were over or not. This is piece of mind in the event something ever happened and an insurance claim had to be filed. Not sure if the insurance company would investigate to see if the truck or trailer was overweight, but I'm not going to roll the dice on that one.
    The spreadsheet helped paint that picture not only for me, but the wife. I also think our dealer learned a few things about towing and that the advertised weights of their product don't take a lot of things into consideration. Engine, gear ratio, transmission, DRW vs. SRW, and bed size are all things we looked at.
    We wanted to give the new 2015 Chevy 3500 a look, but none of the dealers here have them in yet, so we went with the Dodge and I think we will be very happy with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it has like a 7000 lb payload also. I just can't believe the numbers these trucks have now. Just curious how did your spreadsheet place the GM trucks? Thanks..
    Korey SE WI
    2014 Denali 3500HD LML DRW 4wd FS Airbags 20k Reese
    2014 Momentum 385TH #1396
    2013 Manitou SES VP 150hp Mercury 4 stroke
    Volunteer Firefighter Since 1997

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

towing with a F250 short bed 4x4 Lariat srw-369RL. Went with a Cort 20 k roller unit. Used roller the first time I hooked up.
    Paul and Jacque-Naperville IL
    2014 Solitude 369RL #1240
    2014 F250 Platinum 6.7 SRW
    Curt 20K slider

DennisK
    Quote Originally Posted by cgoodnight View Post
    Welcome to the forum SGTABN82,

There are a few people who tow Solitudes with F250's, they can tell you their experiences.

Generally, an F250 can pull a Solitude, but their cargo capacity is not sufficient. My F250, short bed, 4X4 has a cargo capacity of 2193, as indicated on a plate inside the driver's door.
    That includes the hitch, weight of occupants, weight of aux. fuel tank, weight of fuel in the tank, and anything else carried in the truck.

The hitch weight of the Solitude 305 is 2500 pounds. Your truck may have more capacity than mine, but I don't think it has enough for a Solitude and the other stuff you will carry.

People with short bed trucks really like the auto-sliders such as a Pull Rite. Your fuel tank should not be a problem since it does not stick up above the bed. Your Reese hitch may have a maximum towing weight sticker on it. If not, go to the Reese web site and find your hitch and that towing weight maximum.
    We have a 2013 Ram with the Cummins engine and have the B&W Turnover ball with the companion hitch. Sweet!

Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Hi Jay and Bobbie,
    We have a 13 Ram 3500 Mega Cab with the 6'4" bed. I talked to, and researched until I was blue in the face! Then a co worker of my wife's gave me the best advice I could have received. He said "Chris, there was one time that I needed a slider, but didn't have it. My wife and I got into an argument about how to get the camper in the spot. It wasn't pleasant. Shortly after that I bought my slider. Happy wife, happy life!" I've never regretted spending the money on my slider hitch for that piece of mind. Getting out to "Let it slide" isn't a big deal, and when I'm making the back up U-Turn into my driveway, or backing into a tough camp site, I thank God for my decision.

BTW, the hitch weight is crap. Empty, it's probably right. But loaded, my 369RL comes in at roughly 3500 lbs pin weight. I'll weigh it again in July when we're heading on our big trip and post those weights, but just to be sure...weigh yourself!
    Ct..
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
    2019 Grand Design 385GK
    2014 Grand Design 369RL - Sold
    Class A CDL, Doubles/Triples, Hazmat and Tanker endorsements

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are plenty of people with short bed 3/4 ton trucks pulling fifth wheel trailers, but they have either the front cap designed for short beds or purchase a slider fifth wheel hitch.

I too have a 3/4 ton short bed diesel truck, however I now realize that my towing capabilities don't match many fifth wheels I prefer. But the Grand Design Reflection line comes in at the weight point I am comfortable towing without having to trade for a larger truck.

Fifth wheel trailers that get into 12K-13K dry weight really need a dual rear wheel truck, as their loaded weights will be substantially higher. I'm just unwilling to deal with the 1 ton dually trucks as they're so wide in the rear.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I moved into a 3500HD DRW long bed from my 2500HD SRW short bed. As part of the deal, I had the dealership move my RBW slider into the new truck. I never needed the slider with my Sandpiper and will probably never need it with my GD, but, it was less expensive than buying a new hitch. I do like the knowledge that if I need it it is there.
    David & Linda - Plainview, VA
    2008 3500HD CrewCab DRW
    2014 369RL #258
    2007 Solstice
    2008 TrailBlazer
    2016 Kia Sorento
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rizzles
    We went with a 2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, DRW, long box and opted for the factory fifthwheel prep kit. As for the hitch we went with a Companion made by B&W that drops into the factory prep allowing easy removal. I'm extremely happy with the entire setup and have already racked up 2300 towing miles on our Solitude and we have only owned it a month and a half. We just returned from a two week 1300 mile trip from Hampton, VA to Niagara Falls, NY and back. Again, very happy with our choices.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Solitude models post their hitch weights @ 2500, 2600, 2600 and 3000 lbs. And that's asking a lot out of most 3/4 ton trucks, even diesels. They do best with F350/3500's with Dual Rear Wheels.

The Reflection trailers are more moderate in weight, and a single rear wheel 3/4 ton diesel would be perfect for them. The new model Reflection 27RL with 1500 hitch weight lbs. and 8000 dry weight lbs. would work even for a 1/2 ton with the heaviest payload package.

Some of us with 3/4 ton trucks have a hard enough time parking our crewcab trucks--much less with dual rear wheels. I don't consider myself roughing it too much dropping back to a Reflection model from a Solitude model.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Bamaman;14796]The Solitude models post their hitch weights @ 2500, 2600, 2600 and 3000 lbs. And that's asking a lot out of most 3/4 ton trucks, even diesels. They do best with F350/3500's with Dual Rear Wheels.The Reflection trailers are more moderate in weight, and a single rear wheel 3/4 ton diesel would be perfect for them. The new model Reflection 27RL with 1500 hitch weight lbs. and 8000 dry weight lbs. would work even for a 1/2 ton with the heaviest payload package.

Some of us with 3/4 ton trucks have a hard enough time parking our crewcab trucks--much less with dual rear wheels. I don't consider myself roughing it too much dropping back to a Reflection model from a Solitude model.[/QUOTE]

DWR is best?? Maybe. Is it necessary? No. There are 4 of us with Solitude 369RL's within 30 miles of each other. 3 of us tow with 1 ton SWR diesels. One has a SWR long bed. The extra expense and extra width of the dually could not be justified. If we ever decide to upgrade to a 379FL or something of similar pin weights, there would be no other practical choice than to go with a dually. Don't see it happening any time soon.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast