Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Air bags?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Air bags?

My plan is to get a small 12v compressor and tank. Mount it in one of the front compartments, maybe with the genset and that way I won't need 120v to run my pancake compressor that I have. I know I have a genset, but it's silly to fire it up just for a few minutes to pump up my air bags. It would be a simular system that would be used for an onboard air supension system.
    Korey SE WI
    2014 Denali 3500HD LML DRW 4wd FS Airbags 20k Reese
    2014 Momentum 385TH #1396
    2013 Manitou SES VP 150hp Mercury 4 stroke
    Volunteer Firefighter Since 1997

proptwister

Re: Air bags?

I mounted a 12 volt Viair system in the front of mine (my 355), just to the left of the generator. Ran the line thru the wall to the font compartment and hung a retractable hose reel from the top. On/off switch mounted handy there too. Works great for airing up tires, the bags on the truck, running an impact, whatever. And like you say, I don't have to drag my pancake compressor around.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone used the Roadmaster Active Suspension system? It's in place of airbags. Lots of info on other forums, none bad. I want to do something because of the sag with the Solitude hooked up, I pull with a F250 diesel. Let me know, thanks.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went to their site.
    How can hey claim improved fuel mileage, and better tire wear?
    I understand the concept of how they are leveling, but air bags are so much easier.

Kelton
    I went with the Airlift Loadlifter 5000 #57398 bags due to my F-250 having a B&W turnoverball hitch. Got them from SuspensionConnection.com. Best price I could find for the bags that fit my situation, $287. I had the local Ford dealership put them on while I was having the %#*@ diesel emission system fixed, they charged me $200 to put them on. they installed the schrader valves thru the license plate, pretty cool. I did order the Airlift Wireless One #72000 with the bags which includes the compressor and wireless controller from SuspensionConnection.com as well for $410, have not installed that part yet. I'm not sure I need the compressor and wireless option. I've found that I need about 25# in the bags to level the truck/trailer and when disconnected, the truck rides fine. I may install the compressor and wireless option with an air tank mounted to the frame rails on the truck so I wouldn't have to stop for air if I needed it.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    I had the local Ford dealership put them on while I was having the %#*@ diesel emission system fixed
    DPF Delete!!!!!!!!

DennisK
    I too went with the Airlift Loadlifter 5000 bags. Got them on Amazon for $275.00 and they have a $50.00 rebate going on now. Contemplating the on board compressor... Right now I have the valves installed near my license plate.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I often carry a small air tank and a high quality air gauge whenever I'm trailering. It takes about 55 lbs. to air up a set of air bladders on an RV. Either the Airlift or the Firestones will be just fine, but make sure they're good for 5000 lbs. (They make lighter air suspensions that are not up to a fifth wheel use.)

And remember the air suspension is just to level your tow vehicle and make it handle better--without bright lighting everyone you come up on. It does not make your tow weight capacity increase. After you drop off your fifth wheel, bleed the air pressure off to maybe 2-5 lbs.

Will & Dodie
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamu View Post
    No compressor
    [quote author=Justaguy link=topic=370.msg2457#msg2457 date=1392306745]
    Hunter.....x2. But I went old school. No onboard compresser. Valves out the back near license plate and digital tire gauge works for me..
    I have a compact compressor I carry.
    I prefer to keep both bags isolated with their own valve stems.
    Some people put a "T" in the air line and have only 1 valve stem.[/QUOTE]

I have the same truck with a 2015 385 on the way. Was the back end squatting enough to need the airbags or was it a comfort preference reason for putting them on? Curious to see if I need to plan on adding them. Thanks.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed the Airlift 5000 Ultimate bags (jounce bumper inside . . . just in case) and the Wireless One on board compressor and control system. I run 10 psi empty and 30 with the 5th wheel. I tried many different pressures since this is as easy as a touch of a button (literally). Another advantage is that the Wireless One system is constantly monitoring and adjusting for temperature and ride height changes that will change the effective pressure in the bags. When I first installed the system, I had a small leak at a fitting. The system told me this by the compressor coming on each morning. An easy problem to solve, once I knew it was there. All in all . . . I'm pretty happy with the total Airlift system.

I do have a valve stem plumbed in to the back bumper for checking system pressure calibration and for emergency use if the Airlift compressor should fail. BTW, this valve stem also allows me to to top up tire pressures, if needed, using the Airlift compressor.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast