Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Measuring hitched rig height -- I'm getting inconsistent results

I have 2014 303RLS with a factory installed Atwood 2nd AC. The rig is specified as 11'11" tall without the AC, and I'm going to assume sitting level on the hitch. I'm not quite level so I'm a little over 11'11" even without the AC. I'm assuming also that the top of the skylight is the high point on the rig without the second AC.

Is there a trick to accurately measuring the height of the trailer? I have tried eyeballing a tape from a ladder, laying a piece of PVC across the top of the AC and measuring that, laying the PVC across the roof at the rear of the AC and then measuring the AC with the tape and adding. I just don't have a lot of confidence in any of those methods.The trailer was leveled from side to side for these efforts, and I measured both sides and averaged in an attempt to get a real number.

Assuming the worst, though I know this isn't true, I have 11'11" base height, plus 1'1.6" AC height and a little more than 2" nose up height to get my absolute max height. That gives me 13'2.6" as the worst possible height. I know I'm less than that because the AC isn't mounted on the skylight and is on the down slope of the roof, but the important number for me to know first is a "for sure" safe clearance. Un-level ground and measuring errors keep me from being confident enough in my own numbers to risk peeling the AC and roof off.

I know I'm under 13'9", and I know I can't go under the famous 11'8" bridge, but I'm not sure where I end up in that range.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    I have 2014 303RLS with a factory installed Atwood 2nd AC. The rig is specified as 11'11" tall without the AC, and I'm going to assume sitting level on the hitch. I'm not quite level so I'm a little over 11'11" even without the AC. I'm assuming also that the top of the skylight is the high point on the rig without the second AC.

Is there a trick to accurately measuring the height of the trailer? I have tried eyeballing a tape from a ladder, laying a piece of PVC across the top of the AC and measuring that, laying the PVC across the roof at the rear of the AC and then measuring the AC with the tape and adding. I just don't have a lot of confidence in any of those methods.The trailer was leveled from side to side for these efforts, and I measured both sides and averaged in an attempt to get a real number.

Assuming the worst, though I know this isn't true, I have 11'11" base height, plus 1'1.6" AC height and a little more than 2" nose up height to get my absolute max height. That gives me 13'2.6" as the worst possible height. I know I'm less than that because the AC isn't mounted on the skylight and is on the down slope of the roof, but the important number for me to know first is a "for sure" safe clearance. Un-level ground and measuring errors keep me from being confident enough in my own numbers to risk peeling the AC and roof off.

I know I'm under 13'9", and I know I can't go under the famous 11'8" bridge, but I'm not sure where I end up in that range.
    We just assume we're 14'. It just makes everything easier. But we're actually around 13'6".

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take a 2x4 long enough to extend from the top of the AC located at the front of the RV to the right or left side of the RV. I then put a 4' level on top of the 2x4 to make sure the board is level. I then measure from the board to the ground. I know it sounds like you'll need three hands to do this but you don't. Of course I am hitched up and parked on level ground.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On level ground hitched-up to our 303RLS, I put a my level on the top of the front vent cover (no AC unit) and came up with 12' 6" to the ground, anything over 13' we won't get too concerned, anything less we'll careful. . . . . hope this helps. . . .
    Joe & Dee
    Ontario, Ohio
    2018 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Duramax Crew Cab SRW Short Bed Payload 3523#
    2019 Reflection 337RLS bought February 2019 Dry Pin Weight = 2,320#, UVW = 11,100#
    Hitch - PullRite Super Glide 2700 - 16K
    Bed Cover - Roll-N-Lock
    TPMS - Tire Tracker TT-500 (non flow thru)
    Rear Observation Camera - Rear View Safety model RVS-155W-FB (2400-2500MHZ)

2017 303RLS bought April 2017 / Traded February 2019

Map represents States visited with our 303RLS /337RLS

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    I take a 2x4 long enough to extend from the top of the AC located at the front of the RV to the right or left side of the RV. I then put a 4' level on top of the 2x4 to make sure the board is level. I then measure from the board to the ground. I know it sounds like you'll need three hands to do this but you don't. Of course I am hitched up and parked on level ground.
    That's what we did, but it did take two of us. My husband has a 6 foot long metal measuring stick. He went on top of the rig and put it on the top of the AC in the bedroom (highest point on our rig). We taped a tape measure to the end of it where it hung over the edge of the rig and I read the height at ground level.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used a 25' tape measure, i measured from top of roof to the ground at front, back, and middle; pick the highest number, then measure the AC top to the roof. Add the two together and there is your height. Add a few inches for buffer.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH