User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    dlevens

Question Buying and Service Experience in Southern California?

I am reaching out to Grand Design owners in southern California. My wife and I just recently discovered Grand Design, after shopping around countless bunk house travel trailers we love the Grand Design Imagine 2400bh. I have no concerns around product quality or Grand Design as a company...but unfortunately you cannot purchase from Grand Design, you have to go through a dealer. In southern CA that means you have to purchase from Mike Thompson RV and with 3 locations in southern CA and every one of them loaded with horror stories (yelp, google etc) we are very concerned with giving Mike Thompson our money and even more concerned should we have a need for service.

I would love to hear from Grand Design owners who purchased in southern California...how was your experience with Mike Thompson? Sales experience? Finance experience? Most importantly, how was your service experience?

And for any Imagine 2400bh owners, how do you like your trailer?

Thank you for reading my post and for any info you can share.

God Bless your travels

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We live in NorCal and bought down at Trailer Hitch RV in Nipomo, CA. We knew we would not be having it serviced there....... so it was worth the drive for the savings. The sale was easy and they seemed like great people back in 2015. So I have no idea about their service. We have our rig worked on at an independent (45 miles away) shop that just does repairs and some rentals. They have done all out warranty work and upgrades we have had put in. They do things in a timely manner and always impressed with their work, so maybe you can find a local repair shop that works with GD.
    Brian and Paula- Truckee, CA
    2015 Reflection 303
    2017 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummings Turbo, Aisin HD Transmission
    B&W Companion Slider, Firestone Air Bags, Compressor with wireless remote

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Purchasing from MTRV isn't horrible. You just have to know what you're doing remind them who the customer is. It's the Service that is horrid. Your best bet is work a great deal through MTRV and work with GDRV on a mobile tech or having some other RV service center authorized to do the work.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    As Curtis said, we have purchased 2 5th wheels new, including our Reflection, from MT off the 405.

Happy with the purchase in both cases.

I've also had to take each trailer in for service and they were terrible situations. I now do all my own work or have a mobile tech come to the house.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buying and Service Experience in Southern California?

Purchased from them just a couple months ago. Would not recommend.

Sales was OK. Finance was a runaround. PDI was non-existent. Do NOT take delivery without going over it with a fine tooth comb.

Service is a joke. Had a massive hydraulic leak the second time we used our landing gear - had it only one-two weeks. Called for service... quoted a 12 week repair time. 6 to get it in. 6 for delivery of parts and repair.

This was dealing between the Fountain Valley and Colton location.

If I were to recommend a place, I'd say use Costco buying service and try Blue Dog in Nevada. Or maybe one of the NorCal dealers.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, glad to help.

Oh and as for the repair, I ended up paying out of pocket to get a local repair shop to fix our trailer. Lippert shipped me the part and reimbursed me for the labor from the shop.
    2022 F450 Lariat
    2018 Solitude 377MBS

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still dealing with the service dept. at MTRV in Fountain Valley and I travel 80 miles one way. From what I've read on Yelp and other places it's their service depts that drop the ball badly on the most simple tasks. And slow, very, very slow.....you will not get your rig back when promised or it will not be complete. I'm taking it back today for them to try to fix their last screw up but I've already posted my reviews on yelp.

Holland RV (three locations in So Cal) also sells and service Grand Design. I haven't researched their reviews but the location in San Marcos has a new service center after their old building burned down in a fire a couple of years ago. And, it's directly across the street from Camping World. I've ordered some parts from them and bought a few things on sale in CW so two birds with one stone....so to speak. They do have a lot of rigs on their lot. The Santee location isn't near as large, fewer rigs. Haven't been by the Palm Desert location.

The last time I talked to them, their service dept. in San Marcos was only servicing RVs that were bought from them, due to their back log (from when they didn't have their new service center built yet). I think it's been open about 6-9 months now so maybe they're willing to work on Grand Design products that aren't bought there. I'm picking up some parts their today.....I will ask.

It would be nice if the dealerships were required to maintain a minimum level of standard/customer satisfaction.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Similar to most other reports, no real issues when PURCHASING through Mike Thompson, but SERVICE - that's a misnomer.

We did have one item that was discovered on the PDI (awning support arm bent) that they fixed with not a lot of problem. Except it took over 4 months to "get the part". While we had it in, a couple of other things had cropped up in the meantime, that they were able to address while our fifth wheel was in for the awning thing. One thing on the list they didn't get to. When we tried to set up another service appointment for that (and the axle/grease issue/inspection once we learned about that) - yeah, their attitude was "who are you, again?" Told we couldn't get an appointment for 4 weeks. And that "appointment" was just to drop off the rig to sit on the lot for up to 5 days before they would even get it into a service bay.

Yeah, that didn't happen. We found our own service place (actually part of our storage place), contacted Grand Design directly and got the OK to use them. Great service (a bit pricier than we'd like, but we weren't paying for it) and they could get to it immediately.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

dlevens
    Thank you so much everyone, a lot of good suggestions. I will look into Costco and other sources to purchase from. Does not make sense to give MTRV my money if I know I will not use them for service. Very curious about mobile tech that was mentioned a few times. Is this a service direct from Grand Design and is it just for small fixes?

I emailed Grand Design as well and told them our concerns. Grand Design stood out so much to us while shopping and when I found their website, watched their videos, read about their story, it was so refreshing. Unfortunately the RV business is completely opposite when you get to the dealerships. They are all about volume and because most have exclusive rights to certain brands they have no incentive to care about the customer. I realize RVs are not like car dealerships, where you can sell enough to have your own dealership, like Ford selling Ford, but seems like a missed opportunity. I wish Grand Design would change up this industry and open their own dealerships and sell direct. They should realize they are selling travel vehicles...we are willing to drive a long distance for great service.

How has Grand Design held up quality wise for most of you? Has there been a need for a lot of service trips?

Dennis

dlevens
    It seems Costco is out, when I search for travel trailer it sends me to Giant RV and they do not carry Grand Design

dlevens
    Trailer Hitch is out as well, their reviews are no better than MTRV...similar theme, service was horrendous and sales was hit and miss. Reading some of these stories is shocking, how can you run a business like this?
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/trailer-hitch-rv-center-nipomo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast