Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question 230RL with slide in?

Hello all;

I am interested in the 230RL and actually saw one at our local dealer. This model has a lot of potential for what my husband and I would like in a fiver.

The one thing I did not think to notice, measure, or ask about is if you can get to the bath and bedroom with the slide closed. Looking at the floor plan at the GD site, it looks iffy to me...

Is anyone able to answer this with direct knowledge?

I would love to hear!

My thanks,

Lindsay

PS: A word of caution; we did the math and believe that this model in the real world is not really safe to pull with a 150 or 1500 even with the heavy-duty tow package and 3.92 ratio. There simply is not enough tow vehicle cargo capacity to allow for the hitch weight, me, my husband, our dogs, a tank of gas, a cooler, the weight of the hitch recepticle, etc. Though technically the marketing is correct, it is really pushing the envelope with little to no wiggle room. This is just what we decided...

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RayandLin View Post
    Hello all;

I am interested in the 230RL and actually saw one at our local dealer. This model has a lot of potential for what my husband and I would like in a fiver.

The one thing I did not think to notice, measure, or ask about is if you can get to the bath and bedroom with the slide closed. Looking at the floor plan at the GD site, it looks iffy to me...

Is anyone able to answer this with direct knowledge?

I would love to hear!

My thanks,

Lindsay

PS: A word of caution; we did the math and believe that this model in the real world is not really safe to pull with a 150 or 1500 even with the heavy-duty tow package and 3.92 ratio. There simply is not enough tow vehicle cargo capacity to allow for the hitch weight, me, my husband, our dogs, a tank of gas, a cooler, the weight of the hitch recepticle, etc. Though technically the marketing is correct, it is really pushing the envelope with little to no wiggle room. This is just what we decided...
    Not with direct knowledge, but we have a 26RL (with the bedroom steps on that side of the rig) and you can't get to the bathroom with the slide in.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    Not with direct knowledge, but we have a 26RL (with the bedroom steps on that side of the rig) and you can't get to the bathroom with the slide in.
    Good to know! Thanks for your answer! Do you now or have ever wished it wasn't so?

Just curious,

Lindsay
    Ray, Lindsay and the puppies; Chloe, the Dachshund & Sassy, the Bichon
    Still shopping... Still researching...

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to know! Thanks for your answer! Do you now or have ever wished it wasn't so?

Just curious,

Lindsay
    Yes, we've thought about it since buying the rig we got. It is our first fifth wheel (well, first RV) and we didn't know enough to look for that. While we've not had to pull over in an emergency situation to use the toilet, we'd have to put the slide out a bit to do so. Hopefully, we'll not be in that position.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to admit, I would like to see that unit again and ask them to retract the slide, but as we are not yet ready to buy I just don't want to go there. If we can squeeze through, I think it would be alright but entirely blocked might just be a deal-breaker.

Thanks for your reply!

Lindsay

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 230 is not accessible to the bedroom of bathroom with the slide in.

The 150 series is not meant for all 1/2 tons....it still needs the right truck. Others need to stay with bumper pulls.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is disappointing news. Have you seen this in person?

Thanks,

Lindsay

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We own a 230RL and the passage is completely blocked. However, we found it not to be as big of an issue as we thought (as we accept the process of using restrooms when we stop for fuel or food). On the rare occasion we needed to go up stairs, we simply ran the slide out enough to pass thru. (In our 18K miles of travel, that happened maybe 5 times.)

While it would be ideal to have it open, there is only so much they can do with something this compact. And that is what we bought it for, a luxury compact fifth wheel. In particular I like the fact that it is only 24 feet from the back bumper of my truck to the back bumper of the trailer. We can pull into most any gas station and then easily pull out.
    2017 Ford F250 Diesel (3.55 axle: 18.8 hwy, 11.0 towing); 2018 Grand Design 230RL (28' Fifth Wheel).

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just curious,

Lindsay
    Yes. Our last two RVs had access to the bathroom and bed while the slide(s) were in. We pulled over and used our own bathroom more times than we could count. And we have overnighted at: truck stops, Walmarts, Cracker Barrel, Gander Outdoors (like bass pro shop) and other places when our travel destination was just too far for a long one day drive. It was nice to be able to sleep in our own bed/rv without having to put the slide out.

Just my 2¢
    Mike

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We love our 27RL for the reason we can access the bath without moving a slide and can access the living area by sliding 1 slide out about 10 inches.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper