Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dealer Recommendations - East Coast & Tow Vehicle

Greetings all,

My family and I are full-time (stationary, at the moment) RVers. We bought an ultra-budget-model travel trailer (Prowler Lynx) as our first rig; when we bought it we weren't necessarily planning on becoming full-timers.

Now that we have decided to fully embrace this lifestyle, its time for an upgrade.

We've narrowed our decision down to the Reflection 312BHTS travel trailer, the problem is, we need to go look at one in person. We're in northern Virginia, and there is only one GD dealer in this Commonwealth, and they're a solid 3+ hours drive from my location.

Since we're going to have to make a long drive regardless, I just wanted to solicit opinions on any GD dealers folks have had good (or bad) experiences with in any of the following states:

VA - WV - MD - PA - DE - KY - NC

We're more than likely going to be custom ordering a rig rather than buying one off the lot, so I really want to make sure we find a good dealer.

Also, we're going to need a new tow vehicle. the GVWR on the trailer is 10,995 lbs.

I'm thinking a F-250 (or similar) series with a diesel 6.0 or 6.7 L engine would be acceptable in most cases, but if we can afford it, we may consider F-350 DRW, which should have no problems whatsoever. Curious to know what folks recommend for towing large travel trailers. We will be hauling quite a bit of equipment in the bed of the truck, as well.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heard good things about Beckleys in MD and Ansley in PA
    Dan, Marcia, Emilee, Tanner, Zac
    2020 Chevy 3500 HD Crew 6.6L Duramax
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought our first Reflection from Bill Plemmons RV, they have locations in Raleigh and Rural Hall (Winston-Salem) NC. Ptetty good deal, no complaints and they did some warranty work witout any hassles. Bought our second Reflection from my brother at Lazydays in FL.
    Marvin & Marion
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    2008 Ram 2500HD

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smart move on your part.....willing to travel a bit for a better deal. I would suggest identifying the model and all the options you want and then emailing all the dealerships on your list of search area telling them exactly what you want, what options and ask them for a bottom line, tax and fees included, out the door cost is? You might also work on getting pre-approved for an RV loan where ever you can get the best rates. The dealership will be able to finance you but it will most likely not be the best rate. Be sure to check your local credit unions.....even if you have to join one.

Truck......the one ton (F-350) isn't that much more than the 3/4 ton. I would suggest going with the dually for a couple of reasons. You mention that you're going to be hauling quite a bit in the truck (I assume inside a camper shell, so you can lock it when you're not around) and.....then you'll always have the truck to pull what ever trailer or 5th wheel you move up to, a few years from now. Better to have to much truck and not need it than to need it and not have it. and, having said that......no such thing as "to much truck".. LOL
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks; it looks like Ansley's is actually the closest dealer to us that has the model we want to look at in-stock, so we may be making a trip soon!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can easily fly into Atlanta. Pickup a truck at Atkins Ford in Winder or Jackie Jones Ford in Cleveland and head to the Grand Design dealer in Ringgold, GA we hear such nice things about. Unfortunately I forget!the RV dealer's name. It should be.easy to find online.

My F250 came from Akins and.my.323BHS came from another great.dealer in Knoxville, Tennessee RV. Those dealers.should have any truck/RV you need without having to make a special order.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am fairly certain Ansley has an overnight area to camp b4 or after your pickup date if you choose to buy there. As far as the tow vehicle I would definitely recommend a diesel especially if your going to be fulltimers. I had pulled my 308 with a 2500 gasser and it was ok till I encountered a hill. I upgraded to a diesel now and won't ever look back. Towed the 308 to Maine in July and it worked great.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep me informed on Ansley. They are a dealer I also was looking to reach out to. do not like games, 1st dealer has not been back in touch with us in over a week so far......the prices on the unit across the board were higher 5 to 10 percent then the Grand Designs build and price. I called them on that and they were supposed to get back to us......i can hear crickets.....unreal right.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An F350 will cost $1000 more than a F250. You get an additional almost 1500 lbs of payload with the F350. Then you can not ever be concerned about being overweight. A typical equipped F250 diesel will have a payload of 2000-2200 lbs, where a F350 will be between 3300-3600 lbs.

A 10,995 trailer will have a tongue weight around 1500 lbs. by the time you put 2 people and stuff in the truck you will be at or above the payload of a diesel F250. With the F350 you can put a cap on the bed and store over 1000 lbs of stuff in the bed and still be below the trucks payload.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree Jim, when I was looking the MSRP's were different across the board for the same unit and options. I questioned that and was told that the dealers can make the MSRP whatever they want to it is not set at the factory. With that in mind the best thing I did was just to focus on the out the door price when comparing the different dealers whether a trade is involved or not. There was $3,000 difference between the MSRP's of the 2 dealers I compared when I was looking.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast