Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sidewinder Pin

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sidewinder Pin

Is anybody here using the Sidewinder pin box on their 303RLS? If so do you have the standard Sidewinder or do you use either the 5th Airborne or the Reese Elite with air bag in it? If you are using the air ride pin box do you feel that it is worth the extra cost over the regular Sidewinder to control some of the chucking and bounce transmitted to the truck?

For folks that don't need a sidewinder but have installed an air type pin box do you feel it helped your ride?

Thanks for any info you may have.

Butch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use the Reese Elite (Fifth Airborne) Sidewinder on our Reflection 337 and for the most part we do not have chucking. The only exception is certain cement highway expansion joints seem to make it pronounced in the cab. We have been very happy with it and if I had to do it over I would again get the air bag version - however this is our first 5th wheel so I can't compare to without.

One thing to note is it cannot ride as high in the frame as a regular pin box because when it pivots it will catch the bottom of the frame where the pin box connects. On our 337 this causes the front to ride higher than normal. Great for bed clearance but not ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply.

What brand of truck and model do you have?

I have a Ram 3500 Mega Dually and I have had the rear dropped. Where my rear bed height was 59" it is 57" now. So I figure with the pin weight there will be some squat and this might help with the pin box having to be lower to allow it to turn and keeping the 5th level or near it.

I think there are certain highways that no matter what you do or have it will produce a rough ride.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a Ram 2500 with the rear air suspension. Other than the 1" lower trailer in height adjustment the only squat we get is from the tire sidewall which is minimal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk