User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Circuit Breaker for Slide Outs

I have had my Solitude for 1 1/2 years. About the last 4 months when running the slides in, the circuit breaker cuts off the hydraulic pump. After 15 seconds it resets and I can finish the job.I read somewhere that Lippert is advising to replace 50 amp breaker with an 80 amp breaker. Is this good advice??
    Dale & Penny Kennedy
    Central California

2016 Grand Design Solitude 321 RL #5754
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax/Allison
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had this same issue on my last toy hauler (Raptor). After about four years it started acting like yours. Half way in the slide would stop. Wait a few seconds and it would go again.

I can't remember what size amp relay it was but I replaced it with the same size. It continued working until we traded it. I would not recommend replacing it with a larger size. I know it seems like an easy way to make it better, but that is not the way it works. There is reason for for the way it was designed. Relays do wear out over time and by cutting out on you is the first warning sign that it needs replaced.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LCI replaced my 50 amp resettable with a 80 amp
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine was starting to do it more frequently so changed out for the same size. Hasn't done it since.

Edit: Mine started doing it again later so now have switched to 80 amp. (the one shown below)
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't want to have troubles and replaced mine right at the first sign of troubles with a quality relay. I read that LCI recommended to GD to put in a 80 A, but GD chose to put in the 50 A. Someone on Facebook recommended the quality relay. The slides and jacks do what they are supposed to do without hesitation.

I cut the wire and had ends put on. Then installed the relay.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made this change about a month ago when the Level Up system started hesitating. A couple feet of 6ga. wire, a few terminals and an 80 amp breaker (as recommended by LCI) was around 40 bucks at NAPA. Do it just like Orbiker shows above.

Safe TYravels.

Jim
    Jim & Gwen
    2015 Solitude 379fl, VIN 573FS4324F1102454
    2011 F-350 SC, DRW, 6.7 PSD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, Pull-Rite 20.5 K
    "You can't get lost if you don't care where you're going"

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My question is "Where is the OLD one?"

I don't see it in my Momentum 397TH. I see where I can install the new 80 AMP just as shown by Orbiker but I should be removing an old one shouldn't I? Where the heck is that thing located? Does anyone have any idea? I keep pulling of plastic covers but I just find battery disconnect or the bus bar. I don't really know much about what I am looking at but I don't see another breaker in there. Help!

Thanks all!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follow the power cable from the Hyd. pump back to it's breaker. Probably (usually) under a black cover and on mine was the bottom of four breakers. In my case, I was able to move the power cable to the battery side of the existing beaker thus eliminating it from the circuit, cut the power cable to the pump in about the middle, add two ring terminals and mount the new 80 amp to the wall under the Hyd. pump. with a couple of self tappers. Really a quick and easy job.
    If you are uncomfortable at all with this type of task, I would encourage you the get help.

Safe Travels.

Jim
    Jim & Gwen

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Thanks so much for that almost instant response. I have now completed the work doing exactly what you describe. I had all the components I was just having a brain fart on the old breaker. It is when you said "I was able to move the power cable to the battery side of the existing breaker..." that finally caused my brain to jumpstart and say "You are looking right at it dummy!" lol

I guess since I was holding this 80AMP in my hand I expected to see something similar instead of that tiny little breaker. Anyway I go it all installed and mounted and tested. I am so excited to have this tiny component in place as it was very frustrating waiting on the landing gear and slide-outs to stop and start 40 times while trying to get the camper set up so everyone could start going in and out!

Thanks so much!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has been covered quite a few times before, but I know it can be frustrating using the search function on this forum (no offense, Chris. It just is). These pumps are wired with either 8 or 6 ga. wire, mine was 6 ga. Either of these is capable of handling over 100 amps at this short run. Plus it seems everybody else follows LCI's recommendation except for GD, and installs an 80 amp breaker.
    By the way, you are quite welcome.

Safe Travels.

Jim
    Jim & Gwen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast