Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New-to-us 2013 F350 4x4 causes nose-high alignment

We purchased a used F350 over the weekend, to tow our 29RS, after towing for a year and a half with a F150 Ecoboost. We are using an Andersen Ultimate hitch. Even with a stock truck and the Andersen adjusted to the lowest setting, we are still a couple inches high in the nose. For pavement towing, I wouldn't really care, although there are some steep curbs in the area, coming and going from gas stations. The real worry is the forest roads, with the occasional dip and wash.

I would like to hear from the collective wisdom here. It looks like I have one bolt hole of adjustment on the pinbox, but don't know if that is wise. I could lift the RV, but again, would not prefer to do that, because my rottweiler with a bad hip already works enough to get in and out.

Thanks in advance for your good ideas.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170827_161019.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	9587Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170827_143103.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	9585Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170827_143122.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	9586
    2017 Reflection 29RS, towed by 2013 F-350 Diesel King Ranch, Crew Cab, short Bed, with Andersen Ultimate 2 Hitch
    540w Solar, 4x6 Trojan T105's, MS2812 Magnum Energy inverter, Bogart Engineering TM-2030-RV and SC-2030
    WeBoost 4G-M cell booster, DirecTV portable

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pictures don't look too bad. Have you tried reversing the UAH pin adapter? I have mine so kingpin is behind the ball cup. When I tried it as you have yours, it appeared to add a bit of height/bedside clearance into the equation... which I didn't mind, but the nose was too close to cab for me on turns.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree I think the photo shows you are in good shape. Just plan to watch close on the first few trips to see how the setup is working. You will love the 6.7L Powerstroke. Good luck!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Though I don't have a lot of miles on mine yet, I have a similar setup with my 14 F250 and 303RLS. I have the Andersen mounted on the pinbox the same way you do. Otherwise my turning was limited by the rear of the pin box hitting the sides of the bed. I still have plenty of cab clearance. I'm a little nose high too.

One thing about your install that I would change: The Andersen marred the factory bed liner in my truck just from pressure. Took it out and a day in the sun cleared it up, but I was concerned long term what it would do so I got a rubber mat as some people suggested. I got this one https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...t?cm_vc=-10005 On sale for $20 right now. I used a 3" hole saw centered on my safety chain loops and then connected the holes with a saber saw. I oriented the mat so the wider dimension was across the bed.

It will, unfortunately add a half inch to your hitch height, but it looks like you could compensate with your pin box adjustment.

I run at the low height on my Andersen as well. I figure if I need to do any off road gyrations, I can chock the trailer, unlock the hitch and lift the trailer, then move the ball up to give clearance. At low speed, bed clearance would be more important than a level trailer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Bluto View Post
    Pictures don't look too bad. Have you tried reversing the UAH pin adapter? I have mine so kingpin is behind the ball cup. When I tried it as you have yours, it appeared to add a bit of height/bedside clearance into the equation... which I didn't mind, but the nose was too close to cab for me on turns.
    I have tried both configurations of the adapter, and chose the current configuration with concern about the pinbox hitting the sides of the bed. As some folks have mentioned here, I will make a couple runs and see if we have any issues. This may only be a problem in my own mind, compared to how level the trailer was with my lower F150.

I will report back on this thread in the coming weeks, to close the loop on this issue.
    2017 Reflection 29RS, towed by 2013 F-350 Diesel King Ranch, Crew Cab, short Bed, with Andersen Ultimate 2 Hitch
    540w Solar, 4x6 Trojan T105's, MS2812 Magnum Energy inverter, Bogart Engineering TM-2030-RV and SC-2030

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We took our first trip up into the mountains over the weekend and didn't have any issues with the level of the rig, so I think we'll be OK with this configuration.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great. What did you think of the way the truck pulled? I'm guessing you liked the engine brake...
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    That's great. What did you think of the way the truck pulled? I'm guessing you liked the engine brake...
    Holy cow, you bet I liked it! It was night and day over our experience pulling up and down the 7% grades with our F-150 gasser. With the F-150, we'd get about 6.5mpg going up the mountain and with the F-350 diesel we averaged 10mpg. The mileage coming down from the mountain was obviously much higher. On most grades, I didn't need to brake at all, the engine/tranny did the work in Tow/Haul mode. On the steepest hills, I only needed to feather the brake every 10-15 seconds. Towing up the mountain, in 100 degrees, the top engine oil temp was 240 and the top tranny temp was 205. The F-150 had to work much harder, eventually having engine heating issues that had to be addressed by slowing down on the climbs.

The other pleasant experience was that the F-350, being about 1400 pounds heavier, was far less influenced by the 10k trailer. Less bouncing and bobbing. I also cannot say enough about the Andersen Ultimate hitch. Very easy hookup and disconnect, and smooth as silk on the road. It also takes up a fraction of the bed space, compared to the very heavy slider in my F-150.

I don't regret making the F-150 work for a year and a half, after we upgraded to the FW. However, I LOVE this F-350 diesel, and the insane torque and steady performance. We'll be keeping both trucks, because my wife loves her F-150 daily driver. We cannot wait to get out and camp again.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by treeofliberty View Post
    Holy cow, you bet I liked it! It was night and day over our experience pulling up and down the 7% grades with our F-150 gasser. With the F-150, we'd get about 6.5mpg going up the mountain and with the F-350 diesel we averaged 10mpg. The mileage coming down from the mountain was obviously much higher. On most grades, I didn't need to brake at all, the engine/tranny did the work in Tow/Haul mode. On the steepest hills, I only needed to feather the brake every 10-15 seconds. Towing up the mountain, in 100 degrees, the top engine oil temp was 240 and the top tranny temp was 205. The F-150 had to work much harder, eventually having engine heating issues that had to be addressed by slowing down on the climbs.

The other pleasant experience was that the F-350, being about 1400 pounds heavier, was far less influenced by the 10k trailer. Less bouncing and bobbing. I also cannot say enough about the Andersen Ultimate hitch. Very easy hookup and disconnect, and smooth as silk on the road. It also takes up a fraction of the bed space, compared to the very heavy slider in my F-150.

I don't regret making the F-150 work for a year and a half, after we upgraded to the FW. However, I LOVE this F-350 diesel, and the insane torque and steady performance. We'll be keeping both trucks, because my wife loves her F-150 daily driver. We cannot wait to get out and camp again.
    On ours, it has an engine exhaust brake button that I think actually uses the turbo for braking. I noticed you stated you used tow/haul mode, which of course is correct. Just wondering if yours also has the engine brake button and if you tried it. It really holds your speed. Like you said, having to use your brakes on downhills is awesome!
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    On ours, it has an engine exhaust brake button that I think actually uses the turbo for braking. I noticed you stated you used tow/haul mode, which of course is correct. Just wondering if yours also has the engine brake button and if you tried it. It really holds your speed. Like you said, having to use your brakes on downhills is awesome!
    I think your 2016 has a different turbo design than my 2013, and I don't believe I have the "fart button" on the dash, although I've only had the truck for a few weeks and will have to run out to the driveway to confirm. I think the 2011-14 6.7's just integrated the engine braking into tow/haul mode, without the option to activate anything else.

The funny thing is, I see lots of complaints online, with people thinking the Fords have the weakest exhaust braking. That may be true, but it was more than enough for my little Reflection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast