Thread: RV Covers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RV Covers

I am thinking of using a cover when storing our Reflection for extended periods. We live in an area where almonds and walnuts are farmed, it gets very dusty when they harvest. I know the better ones are expensive but price is less of an issue than the ability of putting it on and removing it. The questions are, is it worth it? Do they do a good job? How difficult is the it to use? Thanks for the help in advance.
    Horst, Marlene & Jack, Turlock-CA.
    Reflection 303RLS,
    01 Chevy 3500, 6.0L gas, DRW, 4:10 Gears.
    One big giant (140lbs) chocolate lab Jack.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: RV Covers

The most important factor is how well the material breaths. You don't want moisture getting trapped under the cover. That's why you should never cover an RV with a plastic tarp.

I personally don't like them. To me, they're a lot of money for something that can rip easily. I've shown up at our campground in the spring and seen other campers with their covers flapping in the wind. Could be user error.
    Tim
    2014 Solitude 369RL #1195
    2015 Ford F-350 Lariat Long Bed DRW
    2010 Jeep Wrangler Islander
    1990 Jeep Wrangler Laredo
    1982 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had an RV cover for my previous 5th Wheel. Did not get one for the Solitude yet. I only store it for about 10 weeks so not sure if it is worth it. It does take two people to put this on at least mine did. You have to be sure they are tied down securely or the wind will catch them. If you RV is stored for a long period of time I think they are a great idea but for me taking it on and off every couple of weeks is to difficult. Even for the time I do store it, I usually take it in for maintenance and such and it really does not sit very long. I think it is kind of a personal preference for each person but they do provide protection from dust like you were saying and the sun and other elements that our wonderful weather gives us.

Debby - Stafford, Virginia
    2017 Grand Design Solitude ST374TH
    2012 GMC Denali 3500HD DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like using a cover, but caution....
    Get one that is vented.
    The tie points around the bottom edge will NOT hold these covers by themselves.
    I would recommend a pillow top. Saved my previous RV during a hail storm.
    The wind will move the cover constantly. This movement will wear the edge of your rubber roof.
    I take old towels and line my roof edges prior to installation.
    Notice vent flap on top edge in pic.
    I take ropes and go all the way around. Ratchet straps underneath. Pipe insulation foam on corners.
    Cover in pic is 33' purchased from Northern tool catalog. Weighed approx. 65lbs
    I installed and removed from the front nose.
    I just purchased a cover for the 385 from National Discount Stores, after receiving it I am having my doubts on the quality.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I had one, and won't consider another. For my wife and I, it was VERY difficult to put on and take off. It would keep us from taking a short trip from time to time just due to the hassle. Ours was torn by the wind less than a month after we purchased it.

My biggest problem was putting in on. I'd get on the roof of the RV, and my wife would feed the material up to me. But it would hang up on anything that had the slightest hint of a sharp edge (AC covers, antennas, etc.). So here I was standing on a 12' high RV, pulling very hard and walking backwards. I accidently stepped on a vent cover and put my foot through it. I fell backwards and came within a foot of falling off the RV! I took the cover, stuffed in in the trash can and never used another one again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the all the advice! This is the only forum that I take serious, the people give honest and up front advice and opinions, which genuinely help those of us with questions and concerns. Also I appreciate the fact that GD monitors discussions and participates.
    With regard to the cover I think, based upon what I've read I will wash and wax our Reflection by hand and wash the roof at least twice (specially after the nut harvest.
    Horst, Marlene & Jack, Turlock-CA.
    Reflection 303RLS,
    01 Chevy 3500, 6.0L gas, DRW, 4:10 Gears.
    One big giant (140lbs) chocolate lab Jack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I won't use one, too much risk of mold, wear and other possible problems for me. I have my seals and caulk checked yearly to ensure a long life and no leaks.
    Korey SE WI
    2014 Denali 3500HD LML DRW 4wd FS Airbags 20k Reese
    2014 Momentum 385TH #1396
    2013 Manitou SES VP 150hp Mercury 4 stroke
    Volunteer Firefighter Since 1997