User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SGTABN82

Just retired from the Army after 24 years

Hello everyone.

I just retired from the Army after 24 years and multiple deployments around the globe. The wife and I decided that we no longer wanted to stay in one place and the 3000sqft house with 2 acres of grass to mow in Fort Bragg NC was no longer appealing to us. So we packed up and had one big garage sale!!! Can you imagine how much stuff we collected over the last 24 years???!!! We moved to Spring Texas and purchased a used 5th wheel to test the waters.

Waters tested for 4 months and a 35 foot with 2 slides is not large enough for full time. We made a list of "must haves" and went shopping.

We recently attended the Houston RV Show and after putting many miles in on the show floor, somehow we always ended up back at the Solitude display. For the quality that was presented in the Solitude and the price.......we could not find another 5th wheel that compared.

We fell in love with the 379 Front Living and would have purchased it on the spot if the bedroom would have been just a little bit large. That was the show stopper for us.

We finally decided on the 369RL as this model had all the features that we were looking for and the bedroom was large enough for us.

My son recently purchased the 369RL and is currently awaiting delivery. Once he has it in hand and we get to play with it for a little bit, maybe he will let me take it out on a test run,, If all goes a planned we will be purchasing either the 369RL or the 305RE in the next few months.

I'm holding out to see if GD is going to be making any changes to the 379FL before I pull the trigger. (If the bedroom was just a hair larger with a king bed) Hint Hint

We are defiantly sold on being full timers and we don't miss our house or the grass one bit!!!! I appreciate all the post and comments here on this forum as this is one of the places we used to research the Solitude prior to purchasing. There is so much information and it seems like GD is very customer friendly even after the sale.

Cant wait to get our Solitude and start the next chapter of our lives.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Just retired from the Army after 24 years

Welcome SGT.
    I thank you for your service.
    Thanks to all Vets that may read this.
    I salute you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your retirement. Thank you for your many years of military service. I have the Solitude 369RL and love it. I retired a year ago and have enjoyed every minute of it. Have done lots of traveling and plan on doing a lot more.

Debby - Stafford, Virginia
    2017 Grand Design Solitude ST374TH
    2012 GMC Denali 3500HD DRW

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Enjoy your new life Sgt. You've earned a break after faithfully serving our country for so long. Although full timing has it's appeal, I don't think it's for us (yet). I retired from a large defense contractor in January, so you may have even used some of our gadgets in your career. We're thinking about doing extended travel vs. full timing.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Welcome to the forum SGTABN82 and thank you for your service!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the forum SGTABN82! and congratulations on your retirement. Thank you so much for your many years of military service. My son too is in the military and currently overseas.

I do agree with you, the 379FL is really appealing. I have the Solitude 305RE, and love it. It's about 3ft shorter than the 369RL and about 5 shorter than the 379, which is why we purchased it, but the 305 does have the same bedroom size as the 369.

Anyway good luck with your decision and purchase, for the quality and price you really can not find a better RV.
    Renee & Bill -- Central Louisiana
    2014 Solitude 305RE #404
    2007 F250

cuttinchief

Welcome,
    I purchased the 379FL it had a king bed in it but It's an option I decided to order on with the Queen and swap out my Queen set in my old 5th wheel. That mattress is like a brick. I really like the solitudes they are well built and the guys that started Keystone RV. Are part of the owner group. Tha OLD keystone was known for quality and service. Can't say that now but the minds behind it are here now so you will be getting a quality rig. Good Luck in the future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome!!
    Korey SE WI
    2014 Denali 3500HD LML DRW 4wd FS Airbags 20k Reese
    2014 Momentum 385TH #1396
    2013 Manitou SES VP 150hp Mercury 4 stroke
    Volunteer Firefighter Since 1997

BennyJR

[quote author=SGTABN82 link=topic=400.msg2705#msg2705 date=1392908288]
    Hello everyone.

I just retired from the Army after 24 years and multiple deployments around the globe. The wife and I decided that we no longer wanted to stay in one place and the 3000sqft house with 2 acres of grass to mow in Fort Bragg NC was no longer appealing to us. So we packed up and had one big garage sale!!! Can you imagine how much stuff we collected over the last 24 years???!!! We moved to Spring Texas and purchased a used 5th wheel to test the waters.

Waters tested for 4 months and a 35 foot with 2 slides is not large enough for full time. We made a list of "must haves" and went shopping.

We recently attended the Houston RV Show and after putting many miles in on the show floor, somehow we always ended up back at the Solitude display. For the quality that was presented in the Solitude and the price.......we could not find another 5th wheel that compared.

We fell in love with the 379 Front Living and would have purchased it on the spot if the bedroom would have been just a little bit large. That was the show stopper for us.

We finally decided on the 369RL as this model had all the features that we were looking for and the bedroom was large enough for us.

My son recently purchased the 369RL and is currently awaiting delivery. Once he has it in hand and we get to play with it for a little bit, maybe he will let me take it out on a test run,, If all goes a planned we will be purchasing either the 369RL or the 305RE in the next few months.

I'm holding out to see if GD is going to be making any changes to the 379FL before I pull the trigger. (If the bedroom was just a hair larger with a king bed) Hint Hint

We are defiantly sold on being full timers and we don't miss our house or the grass one bit!!!! I appreciate all the post and comments here on this forum as this is one of the places we used to research the Solitude prior to purchasing. There is so much information and it seems like GD is very customer friendly even after the sale.

Cant wait to get our Solitude and start the next chapter of our lives.
    [/quote]

Well everyone,

Looks like you have all met my dad (Big Ben). This is Benny Jr just so you all know. I just changed my screen name. We both look forward to being apart of the Grand Design family for a very long time! You all have been amazing in just the few short days since we have been on the forums.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations on your retirement. I retired back in '05 after 26 years of CG service. My wife and I have enjoyed our GD after moving up from a Sandpiper 5er. We hope to do a bit more traveling this summer, but am still constrained by the fact that we both still work.
    David & Linda - Plainview, VA
    2008 3500HD CrewCab DRW
    2014 369RL #258
    2007 Solstice
    2008 TrailBlazer
    2016 Kia Sorento
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast