User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Momentum/Solitude TSB 24-001 for upper deck flex 2021-2023

Confirmed with GD that it exists but they are keeping it internal at this point since there is a lot of personnel activity still on-going at Grand Design. I was made aware when I asked about any tests I could perform prior to heading out to Elkhart for factory appointment with flex one of the items to ensure the coach was safe to tow 1,000 miles.
    Last edited by ajg617; 03-15-2024 at 11:12 AM.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder what they changed in their frame speccs/ engineering to lippert for thosse years. Nice to see them finally owning up to the flex some are having.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    I wonder what they changed in their frame speccs/ engineering to lippert for thosse years. Nice to see them finally owning up to the flex some are having.
    Very good question.
    Robin & John
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May be back as far as 2016 now is the latest I've hear - all rumor. Seems some folks have a copy of it but not allowed to share. People who have the TSB indicate that if there are any signs of abnormal flex even if the measurements don't show it, there are lag bolt replacements (larger and more of them) holding the walls to the frame. This has a potential for a huge hit on the Momentum/Solitude lines and I don't think most dealerships are technically up to doing the work.
    Last edited by ajg617; 03-16-2024 at 05:48 PM.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    I've now seen it and it is 2021, 2022, 2023 Solitudes and Momentums. Pretty extensive remedy options. I think we'll be in Elkhart longer than one or two days.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Confirmed with GD that it exists but they are keeping it internal at this point since there is a lot of personnel activity still on-going at Grand Design. I was made aware when I asked about any tests I could perform prior to heading out to Elkhart for factory appointment with flex one of the items to ensure the coach was safe to tow 1,000 miles.
    May I ask what issues you are seeing on your 310? I need to check mine carefully this spring, but I have had a few if the screws break attaching the filon to the lower edge of the front cap. I believe this was one of the telltale signs of over flex.

Thanks,

Brian
    Brian and Lisa - Longmont, CO
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    2022 F350 Lariat DRW Powerstroke
    Firestone airbags - WirelessOne Airlift
    B&W Companion 20K
    Tireminder TPMS

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brandtb1919 View Post
    May I ask what issues you are seeing on your 310? I need to check mine carefully this spring, but I have had a few if the screws break attaching the filon to the lower edge of the front cap. I believe this was one of the telltale signs of over flex.

Thanks,

Brian
    Brian,
    1) Within 1500 miles all door side lower filon trim screws suddenly snapped letting the filon flap in the breeze
    2) Shower soap dish screws snapped at approximately 2500 miles
    3) Master control panel shattered in 4 locations in three months of delivery
    4) Goosebox pressure relieve valve (new design) exploded pulling out of a fuel stop at about 11,000 miles
    5) Goosebox pressure relief valve (original design) exploded pulling into a site at 18,000 miles
    6) Decal wrinkles at dropdown frame site on off-door side at 19,000 miles
    7) Suspension failures may or may not be related
    8) Screws holding the passenger side propane tank strap continue to snap
    9) Screws appearing on floor between closet and bed on a recurring basis - not sure but think they are coming from the closet door channels
    10) Impossible to keep closet doors sliding smoothly - adjusted multiple time a year because I can't close them
    11) Pass thru door no longer aligned properly allowing water onto the level-up controller
    12) Replaced front cargo door warped again and difficult to lock
    13) Despite W/D being mounted to the floor, it continually moves during travel and I have to push the units back into the closet
    14) Filon trim seal detaching on door off-side
    15) Bulge from frame in filon at drop down of off-door side where the silicone sealant pulled away.

I don't see some of the more obvious signs such as trim moving as coach is lowered onto hitch or even falling off but I also haven't been in the rig when it was hitched to watch. Interestingly, we lost our filon screws all at once somewhere in OH, IL, or MO. Noticed it flapping in my rear view mirror. Went to a dealer in Sioux Falls, SD and we walked out to a just delivered 310GK. All the screws on the same side were snapped and the filon dropping down.
    Last edited by ajg617; 03-18-2024 at 05:33 PM.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian,
    1) Within 1500 miles all door side lower filon trim screws suddenly snapped letting the filon flap in the breeze
    2) Shower soap dish screws snapped at approximately 2500 miles
    3) Master control panel shattered in 4 locations in three months of delivery
    4) Goosebox pressure relieve valve (new design) exploded pulling out of a fuel stop at about 11,000 miles
    5) Goosebox pressure relief valve (original design) exploded pulling into a site at 18,000 miles
    6) Decal wrinkles at dropdown frame site on off-door side at 19,000 miles
    7) Suspension failures may or may not be related
    8) Screws holding the passenger side propane tank strap continue to snap
    9) Screws appearing on floor between closet and bed on a recurring basis - not sure but think they are coming from the closet door channels
    10) Impossible to keep closet doors sliding smoothly - adjusted multiple time a year because I can't close them
    11) Pass thru door no longer aligned properly allowing water onto the level-up controller
    12) Replaced front cargo door warped again and difficult to lock
    13) Despite W/D being mounted to the floor, it continually moves during travel and I have to push the units back into the closet
    14) Filon trim seal detaching on door side

I don't see some of the more obvious signs such as trim moving as coach is lowered onto hitch or even falling off but I also haven't been in the rig when it was hitched to watch. Interestingly, we lost our filon screws all at once somewhere in OH, IL, or MO. Noticed it flapping in my rear view mirror. Went to a dealer in Sioux Falls, SD and we walked out to a just delivered 310GK. All the screws on the same side were snapped and the filon dropping down.
    Geeze, that sounds like most of the signs people ae mentioning. Are you seeing excessive measurements between the pinbox and the frame? Or does that even mean anything?

I feel as though I have excessive flex to some degree, perhaps not as bad as we only use it seasonally. I was planning to do the pinbox measurement just to see.

I just made an appointment with Morryde to have IS and disc upgrade, now I'm wondering if I will have to get the frame fixed first.
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    B&W Companion 20K
    Tireminder TPMS

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brandtb1919 View Post
    Geeze, that sounds like most of the signs people ae mentioning. Are you seeing excessive measurements between the pinbox and the frame? Or does that even mean anything?

I feel as though I have excessive flex to some degree, perhaps not as bad as we only use it seasonally. I was planning to do the pinbox measurement just to see.

I just made an appointment with Morryde to have IS and disc upgrade, now I'm wondering if I will have to get the frame fixed first.
    Unfortunately, have to drop the filon to measure properly according to Lippert and GD and I believe there might be an aluminum cage that also has to be removed. I just went out and looked the nose over again and where the filon trim silicone pulled away from the drop down corner (it was actually on the off-door side) I noticed metal frame protruding down into the off-door corner of filon at the drop location causing hard bulge in filon. I hadn't noticed that before but that seems like a problem. Just edited the list above. It's funny but my son and I both looked at the goosebox and took measurements when we brought it home because it looked like the pinbox was not level. It was lower on the off-door side mounting holes by 1/8" or more - lowest pinbox holes being nearly invisible on door side, but very visible on off-door side.

I intended to put IS on it when it was being built but because of COVID, MORryde was backed up for over a year. The primary reason I ordered the 8K axles and disc brakes was at the recommendation of MORryde. I am holding off on making an appointment until I see what the factory finds with the frame. But I sure don't want to go through the massive suspension issues we experienced 2,000 miles from home again. We put 20K miles on it the first two seasons and we are very heavy up front and very light in the rear and on the door side. So I'll be interested in what they do find. If I'm confident in the repairs I'll make an appointment for IS unless they have to replace a good portion of the suspension parts again - maybe more cost effective to just put the IS in for them.
    Last edited by ajg617; 03-18-2024 at 05:35 PM.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, have to drop the filon to measure properly according to Lippert and GD and I believe there might be an aluminum cage that also has to be removed. I just went out and looked the nose over again and where the filon trim silicone pulled away from the drop down corner (it was actually on the off-door side) I noticed metal frame protruding down into the off-door corner of filon at the drop location causing hard bulge in filon. I hadn't noticed that before but that seems like a problem. Just edited the list above. It's funny but my son and I both looked at the goosebox and took measurements when we brought it home because it looked like the pinbox was not level. It was lower on the off-door side mounting holes by 1/8" or more.

I intended to put IS on it when it was being built but because of COVID, MORryde was backed up for over a year. The primary reason I ordered the 8K axles and disc brakes was at the recommendation of MORryde. I am holding off on making an appointment until I see what the factory finds with the frame. But I sure don't want to go through the massive suspension issues we experienced 2,000 miles from home again. We put 20K miles on it the first two seasons and we are very heavy up front and very light in the rear and on the door side. So I'll be interested in what they do find. If I'm confident in the repairs I'll make an appointment for IS.
    I'm horrified by all this. JD on BTBRV mentioned a possibility of being limited to "larger" fivers and toy-haulers. Apparently even one as "small" as a 310 is not immune. I have been paranoid about the suspension on ours, the springs are nearly flat and we only have about 12,000 miles on it. That is why I made the appointment for the IS. They are so booked out I couldn't get in until September, but I'll hold onto my appointment until I figure out the frame.

Were you given the choice of having a dealer look at this or the factory? I agree with a past comment that I wouldn't feel great about a dealer addressing this. In your personal opinion is GD pretty willing to offer an inspection if you get the rig to them?

Sorry for all of the questions, but that's the great thing about these forums!

Brian
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    B&W Companion 20K
    Tireminder TPMS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast