User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our first 600 miles with our new to us 397

As some of you have read, we have never towed anything this large, this is our maiden voyage from Savannah Georgia to New Brunswick Canada. For our last night in Georgia, we dry camped. We woke to find no power in the trailer even though we do have a modest solar set up. We figured that while driving and with the sun, the batteries would be recharged.

We decided to stop after about 60 miles for a snack at a rest stop. When we opened to door, we found the kitchen tap on and water splashing off the sink covers everywhere... Some dumb ********** (me) left the pump on and the cheap faucet came on over the bumpy roads I am sure. Opened both main slides and moped up the water mess with all of our towels. And, still no power. Called a friend and together we found the power switch on the shunt (again why did I not find it earlier, jitters?) and reset it, our problem went away.

We get to Asheville and my wife loses one of her favorite rings I purchased for her years ago.

Sitting here in Shaunton VA having our coffee, we are both chuckling now as the mess has been cleaned up with no apparent lasting damage and her ring was found (yes I even went thru the garbage). We still need to figure out the solar issue but we have decided to do that once we get home.

Oh and yesterday when we left Asheville, within 2 minutes I took a wrong turn. My dear wife had to get out and stop traffic so I could back out onto a busy road so we could turn around

I hope you enjoyed our story, it is a first trip we will not forget.

Oldcow
    2023 F450
    2021 397THR
    2018 DR650
    2004 Kawasaki ZRX 1224R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds about normal!

It’s good to have a checklist to use before you hit the road for things like the pump, water heater, vents etc..

We visited New Brunswick and Novia Scotia last fall. Very nice places!
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Sounds about normal!

It’s good to have a checklist to use before you hit the road for things like the pump, water heater, vents etc..

We visited New Brunswick and Novia Scotia last fall. Very nice places!
    Checklist is on the list of things to get

Oldcow
    2023 F450
    2021 397THR
    2018 DR650
    2004 Kawasaki ZRX 1224R

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldcow View Post
    Checklist is on the list of things to get

Oldcow
    I made a checklist unique for our 310. And it's different depending upon whether we dry camp, hook up, hook up partially, dump tanks or not, leave TV connected or not, etc. To get around the faucet opening I bought a velcro strap and put that around the faucet and handle to make sure it stays closed because even though pump is off, we still had water everywhere at each stop - residual in the faucet which always turned to point anywhere but in the sink.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As some of you have read, we have never towed anything this large, this is our maiden voyage from Savannah Georgia to New Brunswick Canada. For our last night in Georgia, we dry camped. We woke to find no power in the trailer even though we do have a modest solar set up. We figured that while driving and with the sun, the batteries would be recharged.

We decided to stop after about 60 miles for a snack at a rest stop. When we opened to door, we found the kitchen tap on and water splashing off the sink covers everywhere... Some dumb ********** (me) left the pump on and the cheap faucet came on over the bumpy roads I am sure. Opened both main slides and moped up the water mess with all of our towels. And, still no power. Called a friend and together we found the power switch on the shunt (again why did I not find it earlier, jitters?) and reset it, our problem went away.

We get to Asheville and my wife loses one of her favorite rings I purchased for her years ago.

Sitting here in Shaunton VA having our coffee, we are both chuckling now as the mess has been cleaned up with no apparent lasting damage and her ring was found (yes I even went thru the garbage). We still need to figure out the solar issue but we have decided to do that once we get home.

Oh and yesterday when we left Asheville, within 2 minutes I took a wrong turn. My dear wife had to get out and stop traffic so I could back out onto a busy road so we could turn around

Oldcow
    Just remember this.....EVERY SINGLE ONE of us were rookies and have made our first trip, at some time or another in our camping life. The checklist(s) are invaluable, especially if they are specific to your own rig. Keep in mind, they may need to be amended/corrected as time and trips continue. You may also add some things that you had originally not had, and maybe remove something that is not needed. Another thing we always do is a thorough walk-around when we are ready to leave. In fact, we both do the walk-around.....two sets of eyes vs. one set of eyes.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My solution to the kitchen faucet staying closed is one of those fat rubber bands that you get around celery at the store. It fits nicely around the faucet and handle. And we stow the sink covers during travel, since rough roads can cause them to bounce out of the sink and fly/bounce around causing other damage. This also allows any water leaking to go down the drain.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    My solution to the kitchen faucet staying closed is one of those fat rubber bands that you get around celery at the store. It fits nicely around the faucet and handle. And we stow the sink covers during travel, since rough roads can cause them to bounce out of the sink and fly/bounce around causing other damage. This also allows any water leaking to go down the drain.
    Good idea on the band, but we will replace it with a residential faucet. Good advice on the covers.

Oldcow
    2023 F450
    2021 397THR
    2018 DR650
    2004 Kawasaki ZRX 1224R

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oldcow
    I often forget to turn the pump off as well. This is problematic with the large number of plumbing leaks reported. So I installed a timer on the pump power line. I chose a one hour mechanical one. That is enough time to have a meal and cleanup, yet will assure that any time the coach is not occupied that the pump will not have power for long. With 150 gallons of FW on board it could be a huge mess. I mounted the switch inside the pantry. It is easy to get to when preparing a meal, which tends to be when we need the pump most often. And this would have prevented your misadventure.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Checklist is on the list of things to get[/COLOR]

Oldcow
    Checklists only work if you remember to look at it. Our 1st time out I posted a list on the inside of the door of the power center. Did either of us remember..nooooo. pulling out we hear a loud deep sproinging noise. Stop, look and the antenna was crooked and not sitting exactly straight up and down... Not the first time we had an antenna on a trailer to put down either... things will happen from time to tome.

Sounds like you're rolling wiith the punches pretty well. We use a velcro strap on our sink handle, had that same thing happen early on...add it to your check list
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/