User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Momentum 385TH (or other long 5er) - Does this look like it would work? - Road Jct.

Here is a question for any of you that have taken a 385TH or other long 5th wheel off road. I mean really off road.

I was given some map coordinates for a place we could take the trailer and do some target shooting and ATV riding. We went out there without the trailer and I'm a bit concerned with the access road. The access road itself is compacted dirt and won't be a problem. The issue is with the transition from the paved road to the access road. I'm attaching some photos of the positioning of the truck on this. The truck doesn't bottom-out at any point, but I'm not sure about what the trailer will do.

Have any of you done anything similar, and do you have any input?

Thanks in advance!

Jim
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are the rest of the photos

2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldnt do it if i were you. We went to a state park in SC with a significant grade site, but probably less than what your pictures show; my exhaust pipe from the generator was about 2" from scraping the ground. It looks like in your photos there will be a significant angle between the truck and trailer which i think will cause your trailer to bottom out in the front.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RamGunner, I'm just spitballin' here, but based on your photos It looks like you will drag the tail going in and possibly catch the front jacks on the pavement edge coming out. Also, depending on your bed clearance, the front of the trailer is going to come perilously close to your bed rails both coming and going.
    I know you are aware of the risks. Tread lightly.

Safe Travels.

Jim
    Jim & Gwen
    2015 Solitude 379fl, VIN 573FS4324F1102454
    2011 F-350 SC, DRW, 6.7 PSD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, Pull-Rite 20.5 K
    "You can't get lost if you don't care where you're going"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ram - I've got a 2 axle 380 and I believe the major problem will be the front jacks. I have never come close to bottoming the back end, but have had the front jacks make contact with the transition coming off a fairly steep gas station.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those responses essentially confirm what I've been concerned about as well.

The funny thing is that I was offered a chance to purchase the land, in which case, I would have a chance to use a tractor and build up the end of the access road to lessen the severity of that differential - there are materials on-site to do so.

Since it's really looking like the lots in St. George are now priced outside of what we would be able to do (the cheapest is now $42K), we were considering something like this. The price is really cheap for a lot of land, but I'm not sure how much I'd have to build that up.

I appreciate everyone that responded. This is a very helpful group.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, tail will drag maybe catch front jacks but gen pipe and dump connection may be in harm's way also.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you hit that square on something will drag. There is also potential for the 5th wheel to hit the bed sides, forward going in, tailgate coming out.

I would have to be there to judge, but if you hit it at a 45 degree angle you will reduce the front/back roll of the trailer, then you have to deal with the side to side roll. Because the trailer is narrower than axle to axle distance your tilt will be less. Of course if the slope is too great you will roll the trailer. Looking at the pictures I don't think it is, but I would really want to put the Mark II ball on it.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The big problem is the drop frame. That being said, I echo what Alan said, I've had the front jacks bottom out in gas stations. If we had traditional frames, you probably would be ok.

Big Mike.
    Mike and Mary Beth, Hopatcong, NJ
    2015 Momentum 385th with MorRyde Independent Suspension and Disc Brakes
    2014 Dodge Dually
    2014 Harley Ultra Limited (Big Mike's)
    2015 Indian Chieftain (Mary Beth's)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree. You do not appear to have the necessary clearance.
    We manage a nonprofit hunting club with campground. I construct, grade, and repair roads, etc.
    If you can gain access to a tractor with front end loader, offer to make the improvement. We build relationships and gain access to land by improving such things. I would estimate you need nearly 2 triple axle dump trucks of material. Larger rocks would resist washing away.
    Looks like awesome terrain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast