Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Generator Usage

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generator Usage

I have a Honda 3000 Generator and would like to know if I can run my Solitude 385GK-R with it. It has a 30 amp plug connection and I have heard you can run everything except one of the AC units. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of this?

Thanks,

George

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgenbaxter View Post
    I have a Honda 3000 Generator and would like to know if I can run my Solitude 385GK-R with it. It has a 30 amp plug connection and I have heard you can run everything except one of the AC units. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of this?

Thanks,

George
    All I know is that, using 30 amp service, we can only run 1 of our air conditioners (we have 2).

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with trying to run 2 A/C with 30amp gen is the start up AMP required for the A/C unit. Around 22amp, double would hit 44 amp and the gen wouldn't like it. I have heard claims that some do run 2 A/C units, you can probably get away with it for a while. This is because the A/C compressors don't usually start up at the same time. But there is nothing to prevent them from doing that. When the A/C doesn't get sufficient juice to start the compressor it bogs down. This causes damage to it. I don't enough about it to scientifically explain it, but I do know it's bad for the A/C units and they quit working. A similar condition occurs when there is a voltage drop at the RV park, aka brown out.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3000 watts at 120v is 25 amps max. That is fine for what you're using it for OP. If you run 1 AC and keep the other major stuff off or on propane the rest is pretty inconsequential. You should have plenty. Swap the Air for big things like convection oven or hair dryer and after you're done start the air back up.

Anytime you want to run systems like that you're better off with the fridge and water heater on propane. Limit the other draws and realize when your charger starts bulk charging batteries it can draw some juice so if you're tight you need to let that top off first and go to float before pushing your limit.

As for 30 amps and 2 airs.

30 amps is plenty enough to run 2 Airs but the trick is all the other large draws have to be off and they both can't start at the same time. Running a 15k btu will draw around 12.5 amps. You can run 2 Airs and some other small stuff like your charger or your tv and such you just have to time them come on at the right time.

If you show up with partially drained batteries (slides and level) and your charger goes to bulk, fridge fires up on electric because it is on auto and both airs fire up because it is 85 in the RV naturally it won't work. You have to force other loads to propane or off and then get one air started, let it run a few minutes to settle in and then fire up the second. Once they are both on set them for 55 or something so you don't have to screw with it and then you can add small loads like a TV /DVR and interior lights from there. As mentioned above, when you first connect and your charger is in bulk charge mode it draws a good amount of power as well so you need to wait until its in float charge mode or you'll be over on amps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could also try using a Soft Start to reduce the initial start-up draw, as long as both compressors were cycling at different times, it should be able to run after that. I am installing one of these on my Reflection to be able to run the AC on a 2K generator when dry camping.

https://www.microair.net/collections...nt=30176048267
    Greg & Lisa (and the Yorkies - Rocky & Adrian)
    Winnipeg, MB
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 29RS
    2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ Duramax

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G&LinWPG View Post
    You could also try using a Soft Start to reduce the initial start-up draw, as long as both compressors were cycling at different times, it should be able to run after that. I am installing one of these on my Reflection to be able to run the AC on a 2K generator when dry camping.

https://www.microair.net/collections...nt=30176048267
    What brand of generator are you planning to use? I tried a Champion 2000w and it wouldn't start the compressor on my 15k AC even with the Microair. Microair tech support - which is excellent - said they had tested their unit successfully with a Honda 2000w generator. They couldn't understand why the Champion unit wouldn't work so they went out and bought one to test. Their test equipment showed that the Champion generator just couldn't handle the inrush current load that the Honda could.

They offered to buy back my Microair unit, but the AC worked so much better - no clunk on start up - that I kept it even though I couldn't use the Champion 2000w generator to run it.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2k Watts is just over 15 amps. Is that surge rating or full load? Either way that is really pushing it the numbers are tight but it wouldn't be impossible if everything else is off and your had a hard start capacitor.

The problem is the starting load and the ability for a tiny generator at capacity to give it in time before the compressor says "sorry not fast enough or enough juice I'm out"

Everything else would have to be off. Charger, TV DVR, everything if you wanted a shot at it working.

That is really pushing it though.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    2k Watts is just over 15 amps. Is that surge rating or full load? Either way that is really pushing it the numbers are tight but it wouldn't be impossible if everything else is off and your had a hard start capacitor.

The problem is the starting load and the ability for a tiny generator at capacity to give it in time before the compressor says "sorry not fast enough or enough juice I'm out"

Everything else would have to be off. Charger, TV DVR, everything if you wanted a shot at it working.

That is really pushing it though.
    I couldn't agree more about that pushing it. The Microair unit is pretty impressive, though, and they claim to have tested it successfully on the Honda 2000w.

There is a very interesting thread about the Microair on the Airstream forum and there is a discount code, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    What brand of generator are you planning to use?
    I am using a Hyundai HY2000si that peaks out at 2200 watts.
    Greg & Lisa (and the Yorkies - Rocky & Adrian)
    Winnipeg, MB
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 29RS
    2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ Duramax

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G&LinWPG View Post
    I am using a Hyundai HY2000si that peaks out at 2200 watts.
    I think the Champion was close, but came up just a little short. It will be interesting to see if the Hyundai has the little bit extra that's needed to start the AC. Make sure your batteries are fully charged and there are no other loads.

If you haven't yet purchased the Microair unit, there are two versions. One is nicely packaged in a box and the other (less expensive) one is just a circuit board. The circuit board version fits well - in many cases better - in an RV AC unit. The only problem I had was mounting it in the rather close quarters - even with an angle drill it is tight. There is a mounting template, but it is hard to hit the holes precisely. A simpler way to do it is get some "figure 8" washers and use self-drilling machine screws. Attach the figure 8 washers to the circuit board standoffs and use the self-drilling screws to attach the unit to the AC.

Let us know how it works.