Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RV Driving School or Video Instruction?

Hi all,

Did a search on RV Driving Schools, and found a thread from March (recommending rvdrivingschool.com). Looking into that, but was curious if anyone had utilized Mark Polks DVD series (or any other video instruction).

I've watched a number of videos, and I have quite a few years of experience with short trailers, but this new one we ordered is a bit bigger and my first 5er.

I'm in North Carolina and I think going to an instructor would be beneficial to me and my wife...

Anything that people are familiar with in my area? Thanks in advance!

... Line
    2018 mid-year 303 RLS
    2017 Ram 2500 Diesel
    B&W slider for ram puck system

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I can't help you with RV driving schools. But if you spend some time practicing in a large empty lot with some cones or stands it will pay dividends. The hardest part of the 5th wheel is the turning point. There is a lot of tail sticking out there and that takes some getting used to. After 6 years of it I still have to go slow and think about it.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you've pulled a trailer, you have a head start. See if your selling dealer has someone to give you a short course on maneuvering your rig, then practice
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first started towing a vehicle, I went to an Interstate rest area, found an empty area, got the cones out and started practicing. A nice trucker came along and spent about 45 minutes with me showing how all the guys driving 18-wheelers do it; how to use my mirrors, where to look when backing up (watch your wheels, they're what matter most). He was a great guy who was genuinely happy to help out.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We signed up for the RV driving course. Behind the wheel. I think that was the best for us, as we'd never towed an RV before. My husband had towed a small utility trailer a few times prior, but also felt the RV training class was a good idea. It really was.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I bought the Mark Polk series. Found it very beneficial, probably more for all the tips on how to drive like a big rig - looking for traffic up ahead, how to make turns on streets, how to anticipate and deal with jerk drivers, etc. Highly recommended. His "how to back" instructions are also pretty good, but nothing beats practice. I have an 18' boat that even as of last week I jack knifed doing the 90 deg back into my driveway. Big ruts in the yard. With my 5th, I could always hit the driveway first time, even though I had to back and fill a bit to get it where I really wanted it. With the current TT, for some reason I can hit the spot first time, almost every time.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember to make wider turns with the 5er, the pivot point being above the axles instead of the bumper as wih a TT. It's easy to run over a curb or clip a post otherwise.
    Marvin & Marion
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    2008 Ram 2500HD

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1521 View Post
    A nice trucker came along and spent about 45 minutes with me showing how all the guys driving 18-wheelers do it; how to use my mirrors, where to look when backing up (watch your wheels, they're what matter most). He was a great guy who was genuinely happy to help out.
    I really love stories like this. RV vs Truck at truck stops. I was initially quite concerned about truckers having attitude toward us non-professional drivers. Over the last 6 years I have learned that truckers understand that we are non-professional drivers, but they are still willing to share the road and all of it's hazards with us. There have been a very few exceptions, but then those weren't happy with their brother professional drivers also.

I have had others approach me to point out a problem, like my drooping spare tire. I have had them come out of their cab and help me back between trucks at truck stops. I think for the most part they empathize with being a novice driver and secretly wish they could be us some day.

Practice makes perfect. I pretty much had out old 5th wheel down, now I have a new one that is a wee bit longer, totally missed backing in and easy spot, then missed again, finally nailed it on the 3rd try. I don't have to be pretty, just successful.

Safe Travels!
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nctouring View Post
    Hi all,

Did a search on RV Driving Schools, and found a thread from March (recommending rvdrivingschool.com). Looking into that, but was curious if anyone had utilized Mark Polks DVD series (or any other video instruction).

I've watched a number of videos, and I have quite a few years of experience with short trailers, but this new one we ordered is a bit bigger and my first 5er.

I'm in North Carolina and I think going to an instructor would be beneficial to me and my wife...

Anything that people are familiar with in my area? Thanks in advance!

... Line
    I did the RV Driving School lessons (8 hours of instruction spread over 2 days) in 2014 when we got our first TT. I had never towed anything before. The lessons made me a safer, more confident driver. I highly recommend it--money well spent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello guys and gals,

I am new to the forum and will be ordering a 2600RB in the next day or so. Thanks to all who participates in this forum...I've learned plenty about GD since joining.

My two cents worth on driver's ed for trailers.

I've been driving since I was 12 and pulling big boat trailers since 16. I've had several drivers ed courses over the years. Adding up millage on our vehicles, I probably have driven over 2 million miles and maybe 200k miles with trailers. No accidents and one speeding ticket over my 50+ years of driving.

Yep, I thought I was a pretty good driver. .....that is until I bought a motorcycle a few years ago. My wife bought me a 5 day bike driving safety course.

Riding a bike has nothing to do with pulling a trailer, BUT, the lesson here (for the forum) is it taught me just how much I didn't know about driving safely and what to watch out for.

I'll be searching a course for pulling trailers and take one if I find it. There is always something to learn and add to your arsenal of safety driving tips.

My recommendation is take a TT tow course with a big gulp of pride. (I know I will) The gulp might hurt but it'll pay off in the long run.

Cheers and happy motoring!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast