User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tumbleweed's Maiden Voyage

We picked up our Reflection 303 on Saturday and have been staying in Tumbleweed since then. Plan to be out until Thursday or Friday. Have tested all of the systems and so far so good. I really like "dry" mode for the AC system since it has been damp and cool here. The electric fireplace has been more than enough to take off the chill, except for a couple of hours Saturday night, Sunday morning. It dropped to 47, so we used the furnace and boy did it warm up fast. Ran it for maybe an hour and then used the fireplace, off and on the rest of the day. Our "vast" (being sarcastic) experience so far has been great. One thing we changed immediately was the mattress. We tried that out before we bought it, just sitting on it, and I knew it was made for Marines who are used to sleeping on the ground. I love everything abut this rig, but that mattress is terrible. We ordered a memory foam mattress, 8", from Costco as soon as we decided to buy Tumbleweed and took it with us when we picked up the rig on Saturday. It's as good as sleeping in our bed at home. I still haven't quite figured out how to control the volume of the TV when playing through the Furrion system. It became the Infurrion System on Sunday, after trying a dozen things. The sound is either off or too loud. I plan to follow up with that company today to see what I'm doing wrong. So far we have found nothing wrong. We did a thorough walk around and walk through, with my own checklist, on Saturday and the only thing we found was a loose light bulb in one of the many overhead fixtures. The salesman, Carl Nelson, at General RV in Orange Park, FL was great to work with. He treated us fair and did everything we asked. I would recommend anyone in the area, who is looking at Grand Design to go see Carl. Okay, enough of the advertising. Also, this was my first time pulling a fifth wheel. I've pulled pop ups, a 33' trailer, a 27' boat and a hybrid camper. None were as easy to pull as this rig. My wife's level of tension was at 20, on a scale of 1 to 10 when we got in the truck to leave. It was somewhere around 2 or 3 when we got to the camp ground an hour later. We haven't encountered any challenging situations, except narrow lanes at one point, so we'll see how that goes as we gain more experience. Just thought I would share some of our experience so far, especially since this seems like one of the friendliest owner's forums I've been on. Hope some of this is helpful. Happy travels to you all.
    Mike and Suzanne with Smokey and Bandit
    Travel in Tumbleweed
    Reflection 303
    2013 Ram 2500 (Black Pearl), 4 x 4, Crew Cab, Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel. 6 Speed Auto
    PullRite 15K SuperGlide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Tumbleweed's Maiden Voyage

Really glad you are enjoying your new Reflection and have found no problems. I only had a few minor problems with mine. I have had my Solitude for a year and still love it as much as the day I bought it. Those entertainment systems can be tricky, I followed step by step in the instruction manual and after much trail and error I for the most part figured it out. Sometimes when switching from one mode to another I loose the sound. Oh well maybe by the end of this year I will figure it out. Well have a great camping, I only have another three weeks before I go camping again.

Debby - Stafford, Virginia
    2017 Grand Design Solitude ST374TH
    2012 GMC Denali 3500HD DRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Tumbleweed's Maiden Voyage

Sounds like the voyage is going well. May all your journeys go smoothly!
    We're still waiting for ours but have spent time in it and have not figured out the TV sound yet either.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

cuttinchief
    So far on the sound system I haven't figured out how to get all the remotes into my DirectTV remote but will after a little studying. At present we use the furrion controller for the TV. The aux button needs to be on and A-B-C speaker switches on. That's how I control the sound right one more to follow.

AmandaEthan
    Glad your trip went smoothly. We have the reflection 303 also and LOVE it. Haven't had any major problems, just trying to figure everything out. We went from a 1977 Nomad pull behind to the Reflection so it's a new world! I can relate to the entertainment system difficulties, one Saturday morning of camping I was watching cartoons with my little guy and thought I had it all figured out then my husband goes outside and comes back in to inform me that the whole campground is hearing the cartoons too! I guess I had somehow turned the outside speakers on too and didn't realize it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL. I had a similar experience, or my camp ground neighbors did. I learned you have to pay attention to which set of speakers you select and watch the "A, B or C" lights on the sound system to make sure the wrong speakers are NOT on. I'm glad to see we weren't the only ones to make that mistake. Happy Camping to you.
    Mike and Suzanne with Smokey and Bandit
    Travel in Tumbleweed
    Reflection 303
    2013 Ram 2500 (Black Pearl), 4 x 4, Crew Cab, Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel. 6 Speed Auto
    PullRite 15K SuperGlide