Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper keywestparrothead's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heat Pump working?

Hi all, looked thur all the hits from a search on "heat pump" and none really confirm how to validate its proper function I have mine set to about 80 (started at 72, then played with 68, 78, 90, etc) and running for almost a day and temp not moving up much at all. Outside temp here today started around 34 and is now in the mid 50's. I hear the "compressor" kick on, before the fan starts, but never does there feel anything like a warm air flow from any of the vents.

I believe the thermostat works fine, as I was able to drop the HP temp setting below the interior temp and the unit shuts off just fine. I've had the unit for about 8 months now and this is the first time I fired up the HP to use (I have tested and used the furnace with no issue, it was always just too warm to test the HP). So I guess my questions are;

1. Should I feel any heat from the vents, at any temp setting above what the interior temp is already?
    2. How long should it take to stabilize the temp in the unit, from say a 20-30 deg starting difference? (It's 45 outside, 50 inside the unit and I set the HP to 72)
    3. All breakers and fuses look good in the main compartment, is there another fuse in the actual A/C unit? Although with the compressor cycling I'm not sure this is the issue, but wanted to be thorough :-)

Many thanks in advance!

Craig
    2016 Momentum 376TH "The Beauty"
    2015 Ford F450 King Ranch Crew Cab "The Beast"
    2016 Indian Roadmaster "Our Toy"
    2013 BMW R1200GS Adventure "My Toy"
    ------------------------
    Previous addictions...
    2008 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    2008 Ford F350 6.4 KR CC
    2010 Montana 3750FL
    2008 CC Silverback 32LFGBS TT
    2004 Coleman/Fleetwood PU

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found that my heat pump does not work well below 40*. The heat appears almost instantly when the fan starts. I feel the heat in the bedroom better than in the living room. I generally run the HP at night but if it drops below 40* I use the furnace. If I run the HP during the day I supplement it with the fireplace heater.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used mine a couple of times. i set the thermostat to "Heat Elect" and warm air comes out the AC vents. I have never tried to warm up the 5er but I have set it with the inside temp at about 70 degrees and that night it got down to 42 degrees and keep the 5er at 70 degrees.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you both. What I am hearing so far is that you feel heat right off the bat, I'm not getting that...

CSWWine - I brought the temp up it 72 with the furnace, and then switched to HP on 72, guess we will see what the morning brings.

Anyone else?
    ------------------------
    Previous addictions...
    2008 Ford F350 6.4 KR CC
    2010 Montana 3750FL

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Craig,
    well hopefully you don't have the same issue I had (actually still getting it corrected). I had the unit built with the HP as an added option. When it came time to use it, it would not work. After some emails and going back and forth with GD Customer service, they decided I had the wrong t-stat (not a HP t-stat). I installed the new t-stat, unit still did not work, sent pics to GD, come to find out the unit was not built with the HP. They sent me a new one a few weeks ago and just last week got it installed. Now I found out the control box is not a HP control box, so they are sending me the right one next week. Bottom line, I'd check to make sure you even have a Heat Pump installed in your unit. On the 390 it is part of the AC unit in the main living room.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rabuntjer View Post
    Hello Craig,
    well hopefully you don't have the same issue I had (actually still getting it corrected). I had the unit built with the HP as an added option. When it came time to use it, it would not work. After some emails and going back and forth with GD Customer service, they decided I had the wrong t-stat (not a HP t-stat). I installed the new t-stat, unit still did not work, sent pics to GD, come to find out the unit was not built with the HP. They sent me a new one a few weeks ago and just last week got it installed. Now I found out the control box is not a HP control box, so they are sending me the right one next week. Bottom line, I'd check to make sure you even have a Heat Pump installed in your unit. On the 390 it is part of the AC unit in the main living room.
    Hi rabuntjer. Thanks for the update. I am going to head back out over Christmas and will pull the cover off and check for the module (GD support said to look for a grey box) to confirm if the HP module was even there. I have the correct controller, I think, as it has the HP mode...

Good luck with yours!
    ------------------------
    Previous addictions...
    2008 Ford F350 6.4 KR CC
    2010 Montana 3750FL