Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is battery venting a requirement

I never rally thought about having to vent batteries, all of the ones I have owned in the past have good air circulation around them. But I see that the battery in my 376TH has an enclosed box and connects to a hose that is vented outside.

Our boondocking trip challenged the type 27 battery. I may have damaged it. So I am hunting a better battery solution. Of course for me that is a steep learning curve. My goal is to be able to run the 12v side of the 376 overnight in chilly (mid 30's) weather without damaging the battery and being able to recharge it/them the next day with a combination of solar and generator.

I read and article that said AGM batteries do not produce any vapor and do not spill.

So todays question is this: If I replace the battery that came with the 376 with a deep cycle AGM battery do I need to put it in a vented box?

Thanks in advance!
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AGM batteries do not require any venting. I have a pair of Concord 305 AH 6 volt batteries that I bought 4-1/2 years ago and have been in two different RVs. Pricey, but truly maintenance free and don't get messy. I will most likely put a new set of the same batteries in my new 297RSTS.

How much space do you have? A single 8D 12 volt 255 Amp-Hour battery is an easy solution if you have the room for it.

https://www.solar-electric.com/lifel...d-battery.html

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True back in the day the batteries were in a box or compartment that was well ventilated... now they have them in enclosed area to protect them from extreme cold. Cold temperatures drastically reduces the power you can use!

The AGM you speak of 99.99999% of the time is rated for Aircraft use... which is good thing!!!! BUT they come with a price tag!!!
    Now you speak of running all night... define running all night?? what do you plan on running?
    Sounds like the heater... they tend to use a lot of energy and depending how much you use it, you will need a minimum of 2 AGM batteries possible 3 of them, as with a wet cell you do not want to pull them too low!

Dale!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by N6ZCM1 View Post
    define running all night?? what do you plan on running? Dale!
    Drive to boondock, temps about 60. Water heater set to propane, refrigerator set to propane. Water pump on. Maybe open an awning.

Around 6 fire up the generator, make dinner, etc. 9pm turn generator off, sit by fire. Lights are off.

Temps are going down we will call the forecast 38 for the low. Come inside, turn on lights, prepare for bed, set thermostat to 62. Go to bed, turn all lights out.

7:30 am, Evil Rat Dog wakes us up to go potty. Turn thermostat up to 70 so DW isn't cold and cranky when she get up. Around 8 am crank generator to make breakfast and charge battery.

Things that go:
    Lights
    Water Heater/Propane side
    Monitors
    MyRv system
    Regrigerator
    Ceiling fans
    Awning motors
    Dallas

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like my routine with the DW!!!!! except the DW will set the thermostat to 65, and as I follow her to bed I set it for 55... always the last to crawl into bed!!

I think you can get away with 2 AGM batteries then, get the largest ah you can! Larger the AH comes with weight, so depending on your back is to lift and install!
    AGM's are good investment... a well taken care AGM can last years more than wet cells!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klenger View Post
    AGM batteries do not require any venting. I have a pair of Concord 305 AH 6 volt batteries that I bought 4-1/2 years ago and have been in two different RVs. Pricey, but truly maintenance free and don't get messy. I will most likely put a new set of the same batteries in my new 297RSTS.

How much space do you have? A single 8D 12 volt 255 Amp-Hour battery is an easy solution if you have the room for it.

https://www.solar-electric.com/lifel...d-battery.html
    I have the space. Front compartment, total left of the generator only has the one battery in it. But 156 pounds, I may not be strong enough to lift it into it's new home.

I was thinking more along this line, 2 VMAX deep cycle trolling batteries.
    Dallas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with AGM for my solar and do not have them in a box. And maintenance free is a huge bonus.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	9774
    Devin & Roberta & Bizee (Border Collie)
    2015 Ram Laramie Cummins w/Aisin 4.10 CC LB 4x4
    Titan 55 Gal midship fuel tank
    2018 384GK Solitude
    B & W Companion Hitch
    4 - 165 watt solar panels, 2800 watt Magnum inverter
    Blue Sky 30/24il controller, 4 FullRiver 6V 250AH Batts

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 4 6volt AGM batteries in my 398M , never had any luck with the 12 volt batteries !!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    If I replace the battery that came with the 376 with a deep cycle AGM battery do I need to put it in a vented box
    This is a very common "sales pitch" that AGM batteries do not need to be vented. They are still lead/acid batteries and will under the wrong set of charging circumstances vent hydrogen gas. They still should be in properly vented boxes. http://www.boats.com/how-to/sealed-b.../#.Wb8rPq2ZNsM

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    They are still lead/acid batteries and will under the wrong set of charging circumstances vent hydrogen gas. Rob
    Really good information Rob, thanks!

The verdict is in, I need to put AGM in a battery box. It's another one of those risk management studies. I feel the risk is rather low that there will a hydrogen bomb in my galley, but the prevention is so cheap and easy why wouldn't I take the precaution.

Thanks for all the responses.
    Dallas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast