Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roof top Satellite

Anyone done or have any suggestions on where would be the best location to mount a automatic satellite dish on the roof?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We mounted ours at the rear. Maybe 2' from the rear edge? I wouldn't say that's the best location necessarily. I just wanted it closer to the ladder because initially I didn't have the cables routed down through the roof vent. Because of that, each time we set up the rig I had to go on the roof to plug the cables in. We're thinking about getting a new Solitude 373FB and if we do, I will see if I can locate it closer to the new roof access panel that comes on the Solitudes now. Much shorter cable run. The key is to just make sure it can rotate 360 degrees without hitting anything.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We mounted a Winegard traveler on our 337. The instruction said the mounting location can't be more then 5 degrees from level. The only location was at the front curb side. It took longer to check the clearance and double check the clearance then it did to mount it. I did get the optional mounting plate. Running the wires was another story. Using, string with weight, sash chain, fiber fish tape, nothing seamed to want to travel down the vent. So I took a chance and picked one of the pipe that looked to have the best chance of being a vent line, and drilled a hole in it. With my DW pushing the fish tape and me on the roof listing and looking, I could hear it but it just wouldn't come out. I tried wire on the end of the fish tape, weed wacker string, and all the 4 letter words, even made up some new ones. Finally called it a night and packed up the tools and headed to my shop. Where I stumbled across a roll of plastic banding, the type that is used to strap items for shipping. Tuff plastic 1/2" wide about 1/32" thick. I cut a taper on the end then rounded it. Shoved it up the pipe and went to the roof, sure enough I could see it at the bottom of the elbow. Using a long set of forceps I grabbed it and pulled it out. Using wire and tape I fastened the control and coax to the strapping, got my DW to pull as I fed the wires. The rest of the hook up was easy. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170819_094957.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	9809
    2022 Soitude 390RK-R GMC Denali
    Haoview camera system; Traxx automatic Water softer; RVLock V4.0 Keyless Entry; RV; Comfort System "Cheap Heat"; Dometic 510 Toilet; Eurgeen Small Dehumidifier; Bluonics RO water filter; AP 24-1002 Propane Tank Gas Level Indicator

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on the model that you have. I didn't want a bunch of cables running across my roof and I have the 376TH (forward living room) plus considering the issue when parked in the trees. After consulting with the installer, I decided as far forward (right behind the front cap) as possible would generally leave it out of the trees (few RV parks have trees at the front of the space, along the driveway) as well as the ability to drop the cables right down in to the TV cabinet upper. No wires show inside and a very short run on the roof and so far, no interference from trees in regards to reception.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5690 RV roof.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	9813

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5694 RV roof.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	9814
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So many people now use portable automatic dishes. If you camp where there aremtrees over the camper, a permanent mounted dish may not work. It is nice to have a long coax cable where the dish can escape the trees.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use DirecTV and HD is a must.
    Thus, Winegard Traveler SWM model.

As far as mounting, we've had issues with trees and permanently mounted dishes. So now you purchased the super auto aiming dish and the trees block it and you're backup solution is a tripod manual HD dish. Now you're carrying 2 dishes.

I'm going to build a base for the Winegard Traveler for ground setup. Pull it out, level, cable lock it, and push a button. This way we can move it to clear trees.
    May setup a quick release base for usage on the roof.
    Note: I should mention that I'm pretty handy with custom stuff like this.

If roof mounting, position as far forward as possible. Tree coverage is usually to the rear.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    So many people now use portable automatic dishes. If you camp where there aremtrees over the camper, a permanent mounted dish may not work. It is nice to have a long coax cable where the dish can escape the trees.
    IF only they'd come out with a portable Direct TV HD version. I've gotten so spoiled with HD it hurts going back to SD.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PWRSTROKE View Post

As far as mounting, we've had issues with trees and permanently mounted dishes. So now you purchased the super auto aiming dish and the trees block it and you're backup solution is a tripod manual HD dish. Now you're carrying 2 dishes.

I'm going to build a base for the Winegard Traveler for ground setup. Pull it out, level, cable lock it, and push a button. This way we can move it to clear trees.

If roof mounting, position as far forward as possible. Tree coverage is usually to the rear.
    In Arizona, except in the northern mountain area (GCNP), trees are seldom a problem. I prefer the Traveler mounted on the roof. If we have to stay in a spot that we can't get reception, then we resort to other viewing options (iTunes media on a Apple TV). We almost never have local TV reception where we camp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PWRSTROKE View Post

You need to get on the wait list for the upgraded version, that has a laser to cut thru the trees.
    2022 Soitude 390RK-R GMC Denali
    Haoview camera system; Traxx automatic Water softer; RVLock V4.0 Keyless Entry; RV; Comfort System "Cheap Heat"; Dometic 510 Toilet; Eurgeen Small Dehumidifier; Bluonics RO water filter; AP 24-1002 Propane Tank Gas Level Indicator

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Winegard trav'ler on mine. I mounted it between the front and rear AC's. I used the vent pipe to get the wires down from the roof. Haven't had any issues with trees yet, but if I do, it's really not a deal breaker as I do have other options for TV. I went with the current setup because I wanted HD. I have been the route with a manual aim dish and a tailgater automatic before. Manual was always a chore to get on the HD birds and of course the other had no HD for DirecTV. When given site choices, I try to look at Google Maps and see what sites will work for the dish as well. Again, if I have a few days without due to trees, it's not a huge deal.
    John and Denise; Houma, LA
    2017 Momentum 395M
    2016 Chevrolet K3500 DRW Diesel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast