User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie & A Bit Concerned

First - This forum is wonderful. We have been searching and learning so much in the last month. We are new this year - to ALLLLL of this. We picked up our 2018 Reflection 29RS on Monday in Green Bay. So beautiful, so fun! Thanks to the forum info, the walk went great. Last item was the roof walk. There was a ripple or wrinkle that ran from one side to the other towards the front half of the vehicle. The gentleman giving us the walk said this was for expansion/contraction. I just thought if this were the case, it would be a little cleaner in appearance, and we both thought this was a fully adhered system. We double checked with the service manager and a sales associate had the same story. This dealer has not the greatest reviews, but was closest to us by 4 hours. (pic below).
    Second, the walk-thru man opened and closed our slides, we did not physically control the buttons. But after we got home, leveled, set up and opened. The LR slide (Schwintek) at/when fully extended made a pretty loud knocking noise. Since the other two slides are of different design, did not know if this sound was normal for the Schwintek?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29RS Taken at Dealership on Delivery Date.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	9866
    Mike & Megan Nelson
    Sturgeon Bay, WI
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2017 GMC 2500
    Pullrite ISR Superglide 16k

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike and Megan, Welcome! Glad you chose GD, and you will be happy I’m sure. Regarding the roof wrinkle, I don’t think that’s the norm, but I will let other members more knowledgeable give you advise on that. Expansion/contraction sounds like a bunch of hooey to me.

My slides are the rack and pinion type, not sure if that means it’s a Schwintek, but they also make the loud knocking or clicking noise when fully extended or contracted until you take your finger off the switch. My manual stated not to prolong the pressing of the switch once opened or closed. I’ll usually get a couple clicks before I release it.

I know some brands tell you to hold it for a few seconds once extended or closed. Mine is not one of those.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    Mike and Megan, Welcome! Glad you chose GD, and you will be happy I’m sure. Regarding the roof wrinkle, I don’t think that’s the norm, but I will let other members more knowledgeable give you advise on that. Expansion/contraction sounds like a bunch of hooey to me.

My slides are the rack and pinion type, not sure if that means it’s a Schwintek, but they also make the loud knocking or clicking noise when fully extended or contracted until you take your finger off the switch. My manual stated not to prolong the pressing of the switch once opened or closed. I’ll usually get a couple clicks before I release it.
    We have a roof wrinkle. It appears that whatever adhesive used to attach the rubber roof to the plywood underneath had a gap (bubble) in it. After several hot weeks in the sun, it appears to have minimized, but it's still there.

We were told to hold all slide switches for 3-5 seconds after fully opening (or closing) to sync them. Both the Lippart and Schwintek ones.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, congratulations on getting your Reflection! I have a 2016 29RS, but I believe that it has the same slides as your 2018 model. If I'm correct about that, the living room slide is not a schwintek, it's a rack and pinion style. The living room is deeper (heavier) so it requires a heavier support than the closet or the kitchen areas (which do use the schwintek slides). The "knocking" noise you hear when the living room is fully extended, and you're still holding the switch down, is normal. The slide is at full extension, and there's a ratchet stop (like an electric drill that's set to only drive screws to a certain torque) that prevents the slides from damage by over extending. The two schwintek slides you have should be fully extended until they stop, and then continue holding down the switch for 3-5 seconds as the directions say to keep the two motors in sync. I hope that makes sense and helps.

As for your roof, I've seen others that have a ripple as well, but can't say one way or the other if that will be a problem in the future. It's doubtful that it will, but for piece of mind you may want to contact the factory on that if your dealer won't help. Have fun!
    Mike & Marta
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    2020 Silverado 3500HD CC standard bed Duramax/Allison
    Comfort Ride 184 hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a few bubbles in our roof when we picked it up in early May. Weather was cold at the time. After taking it on a few trips in early summer, the bubbles disappeared. Our dealer said that would happen after it baked in the sun for awhile.

Looks like you live in the Door County area. Which GD dealer did you go to?
    Barb and Blair, retired and loving it
    2017 F250 Lariat Super Cab, Short bed, 4x4, diesel, Tow Technology Bundle, Pullrite 16K Autoslide
    2017 Reflection 307MKS, 3/17 Build
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2017 29RS, and it does not have that bubble on the seam. However, we live in Phoenix, and certainly endure hotter weather than you, which may explain differences if they are temperature related.
    2017 Reflection 29RS, towed by 2013 F-350 Diesel King Ranch, Crew Cab, short Bed, with Andersen Ultimate 2 Hitch
    540w Solar, 4x6 Trojan T105's, MS2812 Magnum Energy inverter, Bogart Engineering TM-2030-RV and SC-2030
    WeBoost 4G-M cell booster, DirecTV portable