User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Rob,

Do you mean raising the rear gear and/or lowering the front gear? Raising the front gear would unload the tripod...

Rob
    Hi Rob,

I meant lifting the landing gear legs to put more weight on the tripod. But, I guess "raising the landing gear" could be interpreted either way . . . raising the legs or raising the front of the trailer.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find this thread interesting. I'm a member on the Forest River forum; it's much more active than the Dutchmen one....... (see my sig) and almost every time there is a thread on kingpin tripods, there is a litany of answers that say no no no for various reasons. Some say Lippert will void your frame warranty. So, that leaves me thinking huh? Would like to see some more input on this.
    David and Vicki and 21 month old Springer Spaniel Sadie
    2019 Silverado LTZ 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed Duramax/Allison stock
    2023 Reflection 150 series 226RK
    B&W Companion 16K on rails EezTire TPMS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
    I find this thread interesting. I'm a member on the Forest River forum; it's much more active than the Dutchmen one....... (see my sig) and almost every time there is a thread on kingpin tripods, there is a litany of answers that say no no no for various reasons. Some say Lippert will void your frame warranty. So, that leaves me thinking huh? Would like to see some more input on this.
    Has anybody on those other forums offered a reason why using a pin tripod would void your frame warranty . This sounds like a real "stretch" to me .

You can easily demonstrate to yourself how well this works by setting up the tripod and pushing the front of the 5th wheel sideways with your hand. Now, raise the landing gear slightly and try pushing the trailer again. (It will be much more solid) If you raise the landing gear too far, all the weight will be on the tripod and it will get wobbly again.

Maybe you can borrow a tripod from someone (who has one but thinks they are useless) and give it a try.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
    Sometimes I think you have to be really careful with what you read on the internet.LOL
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Has anybody on those other forums offered a reason why using a pin tripod would void your frame warranty . This sounds like a real "stretch" to me .

You can easily demonstrate to yourself how well this works by setting up the tripod and pushing the front of the 5th wheel sideways with your hand. Now, raise the landing gear slightly and try pushing the trailer again. (It will be much more solid) If you raise the landing gear too far, all the weight will be on the tripod and it will get wobbly again.

Maybe you can borrow a tripod from someone (who has one but thinks they are useless) and give it a try.

Rob
    It's like all of these forums........... some are truly knowledgeable, and some are just throwing unfounded things out there.
    Borrowing a tripod is a great idea. Thanks for that thought. I guess we will need to spend a few nights in her to find out what our tolerance level is for 'jiggle'

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by warsw1 View Post
    Sometimes I think you have to be really careful with what you read on the internet.LOL
    But, if it's on the Internet, it must be true, right? LOL.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Rob
    Don't you see the similarity to the AUH? We all *know* that voids your frame warranty.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you not concerned about crushing the tripod as I would think they can only absorb so much weigh - Thanks
    Bob and Shirley (both recently retired)
    Ontario Canada
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    2018 Ford Diesel King Ranch F350 Short Bed
    Pull Rite Super Glide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob
    I could not agree more with you. We have a 2018 GD Solitude and I purchased a B&L Full Timer Tripod and it has taken all the shake out of the fifth wheel when the dryer is operating which is in the front bedroom corner closet
    Bob and Shirley (both recently retired)
    Ontario Canada
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    2018 Ford Diesel King Ranch F350 Short Bed
    Pull Rite Super Glide

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HOWITTRO View Post
    Are you not concerned about crushing the tripod as I would think they can only absorb so much weigh - Thanks
    Hi Bob,

I think my aluminum tripod is rated for something like 5000 lbs . . . and there is probably a safety factor in that spec. My pin weight is about 2000 lbs. I have lifted the landing gear off the ground with all forward weight on the tripod with no indications of over stress in the tripod. The steel tripods would be stronger yet. If set up with the three feet relatively close together and close to vertical, the tripods would be at their strongest for vertical load.

I have even used my tripod with my Sherline scale on top, to measure pin weight, by lifting the landing gear just off the ground.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1290.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast