User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool The Original Vertical RV Kayak Racks ™ - YAKUPS® Brand

I am looking for feedback on the Vertical RV Kayak Rack sold by RVKR Development, LLC out of Queensbury, NY (near Lake George, NY). I was informed by the owner of this RV kayak rack company that he has sold racks to 20 Grand Design RV Owners! So I am looking for feedback from Grand Design owners on how the rack has withstood their travels and faired over the time they have used it.

- Do you have a Solitude, Reflection or other RV type?
    - When did you purchase your rack?
    - What rack model & accessories did you purchase?
    - What do you carry on your rack?
    - Has the rack lived up to your expectations?
    - Has the rack lived up to the company's claims?
    - Do you recommend buying or not buying specific accessories?
    - Does the rack swing back and forth?
    - Have you had to load more items up-front to offset the additional rear load?
    - What is your maximum height now?
    - What is your clearance from your kayaks to the ground?
    - Do you ever bottom out at the rear?
    - Anyone use bags to protect their kayaks, bikes, Stand Up Paddle board (SUP), etc? Where did you buy it?
    - Is the rack rusting or corroding?
    - Have anyone had to secure their rack to their RV wall or Ladder? Why?
    - If you secured your rack to the RV, has the rack been re-engineered or stabilizers built to address that?
    - Have you had any problems with your rack & if so, was it repaired by you or under warranty?
    - Do you recommend buying this rack?

Also I'm curious if the Grand Design Owners used the hitch receiver that came with their RV or did you have a hitch with a 2" receiver welded to your frame? Did you have a RV service center or Lippert weld the Rame to your RV?

I am purchasing model KR2B56 with the Bike Rack Assembly & the SUP & Surfboard Attachments for my Solitude and any reinforcing parts recommended by the company. I had a custom hitch with 2"receiver welded onto my Solitude with gussets to provide additional support (to hopefully compensate for the loaded vertical RV kayak rack to prevent or reduce the movement of the rack during transit). I will be carrying; two 12FT kayaks, two bicycles, and one SUP totaling 188 Lbs + the vertical rack. I will have 15" clearance from the road to the bottom of my kayaks and the height at the tip of my kayak will be 13ft-3". I'm hoping the calculations for the bottom clearance and height are correct. I'm not sure if I will need an extended to provide additional ground clearance (I will be loosing 2-3" of ground clearance to the bumper and a lot more to my Swagman bike rack which was about 8" higher than the bumper.

I hopefully prepared my trailer for this vertical rack and expect to shift some equipment upfront to offset the additional weight of the rack.

I would love to hear from other Grand Design RV owners on their individual experience with their Vertical RV kayak rack. This will help me and others! This vertical rack seems a much safer way to carry kayaks than having to climb up onto my truck roof as I have been doing to secure them.

thanks to all who participate.

Aaron
    Last edited by ACDW-Ottawa; 09-22-2017 at 09:58 PM. Reason: editorial mistake
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPS® Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    subscribing to this thread.....
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vertical Kayak Rack for RV

I now have the YAKUPS® Vertical Kayak Rack from RVKR Development installed on my Solitude and loaded up with 2 kayaks, 2 bikes, and one SUP. I had no problems driving 500 miles back home with it and even accidentally running over a tire on the highway, the rack was unaffected. Although the monitor showed the kayak and SUP bouncing wildly around, it was totally exaggerated by the rear camera's optics. By observing the loaded YAKUPS® rack from a chase car while my wife was driving the rig, I confirmed the rack base does not wobble or bounce independently of the trailer and the rack cage on top moves only minimally. Even when going over bumps the rack was stable.

Because Lippert installed the 2" receiver below the 4" bumper, I needed a 2" riser to increase the ground clearance to a total of 14". This extended the rack another 10” out. I would have preferred my Solitude's frame came with an integrated receiver as on other Solitude and Reflection trailers. RKVR is working with me to address this issue; however, I will explore changing my receiver Lippert welded to the Solitude’s frame. Ideally, it should be raised to the level of the bumper.

Lippert built the hitch from thick gauge steel, reinforced where necessary, added a skid plate under the receiver tube where it was welded to the square steel tube, and a safety chain bracket at the receiver. The hitch was welded to my Solitude's frame along with gussets to provide additional strength for the top heavy payload on the YAKUPS® vertical kayak rack. Lippert welded the 2" receiver to the bumper to prevent knocking from vibrations. They used an angle grinder and paint to finish the hitch for a very professional job.

The YAKUPS® rack is customized to each RV. Although, the hitch is only connected to the RV using the receiver, RKVR uses a solid 2" square steel bar running from the end of the rack's base into the full length of the receiver tube for added strength. A steel clamp is bolted at the receiver’s mouth to lock the hitch bar inside the receiver’s tube to ensure the hitch and receiver are solid to prevent flexing. The rack base (similar to a cargo rack) sits on the 2” solid bar and is fabricated out of thick gauge steel tubes. A vertical steel bar holds the upper cage to secure the bike’s and kayak’s vertically. Stainless steel is used in several places including the protective pans for the kayaks, SUP’s, and bike rails. Everything has been thought of such as a modified pad lock with a tension ring to prevent the upper cage locking bar form vibrating. All bungees, straps, locks, etc. are included with the rack to secure the payload. As I found out, RKVR has a many accessories than advertised on their website so ask the owner, Larry, if you don't find what you're looking for. RKVR carries bike covers, locks to prevent theft of your SUP/kayak/bike, 7 pin plug adapters, light kit for rack, as well as additional brackets and parts to further customize your rack.

Once I have more experience driving with the YAKUPS® rack on the back of my Solitude, I will decide if it need modifications to further customize it to my RV. I'm sure Lippert and RKVR will be able to modify their respective products to my requirements.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rear View.jpg   Side View.jpg   Bikes Vertical.jpg   Bike n Trays.jpg   SUP n Kayak at Pan.jpg  

Last edited by ACDW-Ottawa; 11-11-2017 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Editorial corections
    Aaron & Donna
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPS® Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adding Bracket where Receiver Welded To Bumper

I ordered a stainless steel bracket from RKVR to provide additional strength where the receiver is welded to the bumper. It may be unfounded but I'm worried the welds may break from too much force when going over bumps at bridges and especially rough roads through road construction areas. See pictures of this new bracket and my Lippert RV hitch receiver.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bracket Reciever Bumper.JPG   Hitch Riser.jpg   Rear Trailer With Receiver.jpg   Receiver Hitch Below.jpg  
    Aaron & Donna

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow - That certainly is impressive and offers a different solution to those who don't want them on the roof of their truck. It looks so much taller than 13'3", but I'm sure the picture is probably a little deceiving.

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are 12ft kayaks with a ground clearance of 14" making it 13ft-2" at its max height. The roof slopes down near the back giving to that appearance.
    Its approximately the same height as the RV with the MaxxAir hoods.

If it was using a frame integrated receiver, the receiver would be at the same height as the receiver riser and subsequently the max kayak height.

I noticed during a web search there are several Solitudes and Reflections using the YAKUPS(TM) rack with similar height kayaks. Many have fishing and sit-upon kayaks which are which are much heavier (20Lbs or more) than my kayaks at 49Lbs.
    Aaron & Donna

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I didn’t see your request for info in September.
    I purchased mine last December, have put 10,000 miles on my rig.
    No complaints, no problems.
    I am interested in the bike covers. We have been trying to figure out something for them.
    My kayak is 10’, and my wife’s is 9’ .
    It is the best thing we ever purchased for our fiver.
    Many people commented on this rack during our travels last winter .
    So easy for us to load and unload toys.
    All the best,
    Paul
    2016 Ram 3500 SWD 3:73 Turbo Diesel 6'4"" box
    OEM puck Pro 16K
    2021 Reflection 311BHS
    Previous:
    2017 Reflection 29RS
    Reese Sidewinder Hitch
    Platte Lake MN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bike cover and YAKUPS rack info

Hi!

Can you post a picture showing: (1) the rack on your RV and (2) showing how it plugs into your receiver?
    Are you using a riser?

I purchased the cover from Amazon with ASIN # B01MR4WA4Q. Its a "Ohuhu Motorcycle Cover, Waterproof DTY & 300D Oxford". I used a large bungee cord to wrap around the cover to hold it on as well as some clamp on hooks similar to what RKVR is providing. I didn't order the BUDGE bike cover sold by RKVR because it did not fit the over the wide handlebars of my 2 bicycles (Trek Pure Low Step) with a combined width of 3ft. RKVR supplies BUDGE bike covers with clips and bungees all set up for the bikes on their kayak rack.

BUDGE covers are made of a very thick material and has a corded hem (it might be elastic too) which allows the hooks to grab on. The BUDGE cover should easily fit over the 2 handlebars with of 2ft or a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by pnoetzel View Post
    Sorry I didn’t see your request for info in September.
    I purchased mine last December, have put 10,000 miles on my rig.
    No complaints, no problems.
    I am interested in the bike covers. We have been trying to figure out something for them.
    My kayak is 10’, and my wife’s is 9’ .
    It is the best thing we ever purchased for our fiver.
    Many people commented on this rack during our travels last winter .
    So easy for us to load and unload toys.
    All the best,
    Paul
    Aaron & Donna

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My rack and coach are in Storage now. I will be getting the rack on soon. We are heading out for the winter December 5th.
    Spend most of the winter near Lake Havasu AZ. And the Colorado river.
    I will take a photo when I get it together.
    2016 Ram 3500 SWD 3:73 Turbo Diesel 6'4"" box
    OEM puck Pro 16K
    2021 Reflection 311BHS
    Previous:
    2017 Reflection 29RS
    Reese Sidewinder Hitch
    Platte Lake MN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok. I'm trying to figure out if I can adjust my rack so I'm trying to get real life experience from others. Could you answer few questions? Does your Reflection have an integrated hitch on your OEM frame or did you add a hitch receiver? Are you using a riser to gain ground clearance? How much ground clearance is below your kayak pans? Do you ever have any issues with the rack touching the ground? How tall and heavy are your kayaks?

I have 2 Wilderness Pungo Kayaks weighing in at 49Lbs each and 12ft long. The bikes are Trek Pure Low Step weighing 29Lbs, and a 11.5ft SUP weighing 27.5Lbs.

Thanks
    ... Aaron

rack
    Quote Originally Posted by pnoetzel View Post
    My rack and coach are in Storage now. I will be getting the rack on soon. We are heading out for the winter December 5th.
    Spend most of the winter near Lake Havasu AZ. And the Colorado river.
    I will take a photo when I get it together.
    Aaron & Donna

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast