Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Power surge protection - non permanent install

On my current camper we use a 30Amp pedestal plug in surge protector. Works fine. I've never secured it, never really worried about it. Now that we are looking at 5th wheel campers, and 50 AMP power protection, I figured a direct wired unit would be perfect. I could install it myself and put the remote display someplace in my camper
    Then I read comments on Progressives Warranty. I had no idea they wouldn't warranty a self installed unit. Ridiculous. Fine.

I thought of 2 solutions that would let you use a pedestal unit inside the camper and would like some feedback.
    1) Purchase an extension power cable that lets you plug into the pedestal. Bring the other end into the storage area and plug in the portable unit. Then bring the original camper power cable into the storage area and plug that into the unit. If the surge fails, just run the camper power line to pedestal. Might cost $80 for a power wire.

2) Cut power line in the camper and install a power receptacle on the side going to pedestal. On the other side of the cut install a male plug. You could then install the surge protector in between. If it fails, remove and plug the 2 ends together. Might cost $40 in outlets.

Both of these ideas provide protection and are easily reversible. Thoughts? Is there even enough slack in the power line to do #2?
    Kevin
    2019 Ford F350 DRW
    2020 Solitude 380FL-R

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im not seeing the benefit here at all. The portable unit has a lock tab on it, i chain mine to the power pole or some other structure, no worries. If someone really wants to steal it they will find a way.

You should look at the cost of a 50A extension cord, they are pricey. Ive been RVing for about 7 years now and ive never heard of a surge protector/EMS being stolen. I keep mine locked up mainly to keep the honest people honest and to deter someone looking for a quick grab-n-go.

I see the concern with the loss of warranty; you could have a dealer or mobile tech do it or go with the portable, either way, im sure youll be happy your electrical system is protected.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would just mount it correctly and worry about the warranty issue if that comes up. If you read Poppy's issues, having a hard wired EMS would have caught his defective power cord and saved the components in the trailer.

YMMV

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burgpath View Post
    On my current camper we use a 30Amp pedestal plug in surge protector. Works fine. I've never secured it, never really worried about it. Now that we are looking at 5th wheel campers, and 50 AMP power protection, I figured a direct wired unit would be perfect. I could install it myself and put the remote display someplace in my camper
    Then I read comments on Progressives Warranty. I had no idea they wouldn't warranty a self installed unit. Ridiculous. Fine.

I thought of 2 solutions that would let you use a pedestal unit inside the camper and would like some feedback.
    1) Purchase an extension power cable that lets you plug into the pedestal. Bring the other end into the storage area and plug in the portable unit. Then bring the original camper power cable into the storage area and plug that into the unit. If the surge fails, just run the camper power line to pedestal. Might cost $80 for a power wire.

2) Cut power line in the camper and install a power receptacle on the side going to pedestal. On the other side of the cut install a male plug. You could then install the surge protector in between. If it fails, remove and plug the 2 ends together. Might cost $40 in outlets.

Both of these ideas provide protection and are easily reversible. Thoughts? Is there even enough slack in the power line to do #2?
    I purchased the pedestal unit and considered a version of option 2. I would just disconnect the 50 amp wires at the breaker box, put a 14-50R receptacle on it. Then buy a short piece of 50 amp cord, connect it to the breaker box and install a 50 amp plug on it and plug in the EMS in the basement. If I ever decide to install the hard wire version I could sell the pedestal version and modify the hard wired box with a plug/receptacle and just plug it in.

I have had a few situations where the EMS shut power down because of low voltage so I also purchased an Autoformer. When I have low voltage I connect the Autoformer at the pedestal and it resolves the problem.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jerry, I like the idea of that setup.
    Kevin
    2019 Ford F350 DRW
    2020 Solitude 380FL-R

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post
    I would just mount it correctly and worry about the warranty issue if that comes up. If you read Poppy's issues, having a hard wired EMS would have caught his defective power cord and saved the components in the trailer.

YMMV

Red
    I'm working to get in the rv life so there's a lot I don't know. But if you spend $400-500( maybe more?) on your hard wired EMS, it saves your rv components, but is it trashed and needs to be totally replaced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some are serviceable. Parts can be replaced. What I worry about is failure of the unit and the manufacturer blaming me.
    Kevin
    2019 Ford F350 DRW
    2020 Solitude 380FL-R

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTom52 View Post
    I'm working to get in the rv life so there's a lot I don't know. But if you spend $400-500( maybe more?) on your hard wired EMS, it saves your rv components, but is it trashed and needs to be totally replaced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not likely to be trashed, most of the power problems will be low 120V voltage from the power pedestal. Open Neutral less likely but it happens.
    Both of those the EMS will disconnect power into the RV, it won't be damaged itself.
    When the power problem clears up, the EMS would reconnect power to the RV.

Large overvoltage like from a lightning strike could damage it.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason they want a professional install is for subrogation. Not particularly fair for the handy individual, but you don't have a professional liability policy to go after should you end up with a loose neutral and 220v fries everything in the unit.

We've always used pedestal units and have had no issues with theft etc. We did have a loose neutral on the transfer switch on our newmar and our onboard ems that detects 30 or 50 amp never turned on. One outlet, which for whatever reason bypassed the system fried our splendid. Whoever didn't tie that plug in screwed up but what are you going to do.

Fortunately we lost nothing else. In that case a hardwired system would off caught it. Had the problem been at the panel inside it wouldn't if mattered and I'd likely of been looking at a total loss.

I now check that the nuts don't rattle loose from driving every so often and especially on a new unit from the factory. Not going to rely on some random guy trying to get home early to take the extra 30 seconds to tork the nuts down properly.

Anyway doing that and using a pedestal EMS should be adequate protection. Hardwire is great as well but you might end up without power of it fails and you aren't capable of removing it yourself.

Choices, consequences. They both work but regardless you should be disconnecting from power and checking the transfer switch area and power panel wires are secured tightly every so often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did have one give up the ghost after a heavy rain in Columbia, SC. Since then I have stuck with the installed version.
    Carl Breeding
    CW3 US Army Retired
    US Army Civilian Retired
    2016 F350 diesel DRW Long wheel base
    2017 Momentum 399TH
    2012 Goldwing motorcycle with a Roadsmith Trike kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast