User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My roof is blistering...

I dont mean those big bubbles that are completely under the rubber. I mean small, under an inch, blisters under the outermost layer of the rubber roof. If my rig has them so must other peoples. I found a reference to them on the Heartland Owners board. Wonder what people have done and whether this may be only cosmetic. http://i.imgur.com/cqznvwNl.jpg

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just read on the Facebook owners group that a member is getting a new roof installed for that reason.

The membrane has a 12 year warranty on it.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just up on my roof for the purpose of investigating why all of a sudden my black water tank is not venting properly; actually not venting at all ! SURPRISE ! - - My roof looks exactly like the picture in Yarrly's post. My roof has chicken-pox !! First time I have ever seen this in person; and I'm old.
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was on my roof yesterday and I have similar blisters as yours. Did you find any answers to your issue. Thanks

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tileman - Yes sir I did find some answers and a resolution. The answer as to why this occurred seems to be in the manufacturing of the product; principally in the glue and whether it was cured properly prior to laying on the outer white layer. My information came from the commercial roofing side of the industry, not the RV side.

The solution to the problem was replacement. Dicor Corp. does not make the EPDM product, they only sell/distribute it; however, they are the ones a person must deal with for resolution. The first couple of contacts with them was fruitless in that the lady I spoke with would only "authorize" a 12-yr "warranty" that covers 100% labor and materials IF the roof "fails". Dicor's contention is that just because the outer layer comes undone, that is not "failure". Failure is when water penetrates the entire membrane.

I wanted to trade my Reflection 303 for a Reflection 337 and the RV dealer told me they had to take $5k off the normal depreciated trade-in value due to the roof. A couple days after Christmas (while most employees at Dicor were on vacation) I called them once again and luckily talked to the VP, told him my story and stated that due to the Dicor EPDM roof I was suffering a $5k loss. He immediately understood the situation, asked for pictures and a replacement quote in writing from the RV dealer, and he would authorize a new roof.

That is exactly what happened and 2 weeks after the EPDM roof was replaced on the 303 the unit was traded for a new 337.

Multiply RV dealers saw the bubbled roof and all dealer/owners stated they had never seen a roof do that. When the material was cool (60 degrees F or below) the bubbles would shrink and then reappear when temps were above 70 degrees F. With each contraction/expansion cycle the condition would get worse due to bubbles combining with each other. It was the "opinion" of multiple dealers that eventually there would be 1-3 large bubbles and the layer would tear off at the most inopportune time; which could cause a MV accident.

If you are having the same condition occur, I can only offer condolences because it is a royal PIA obtaining satisfactory (to me) resolution.

R. Kaiser
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much for your reply, I will start contacting Grand Design and Dicor and start the process.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Has Grand Design changed roof vendors? Since mid 2015, they were supplying TPO roofs from Alpha Systems. Are they back to an EPDM roof from Dicor? Or are these on 2014-early 2015 units?

Jim

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure when the switch was made but ours is a early 2015 unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same situation, contacts made to both Grand Designs Service and Dicor. No response yet we will see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0439.jpg   IMG_0440.jpg   IMG_0441.jpg   IMG_0442.jpg  
    Last edited by D Hardison; 11-16-2019 at 09:53 AM.
    Dave & and; Jody
    2014 Solitude 369RL #918
    2012 Chevy 2500 Duramax SRW

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am the second owner of a 385th with the same blistering issue. Is this something that full coverage insurance would cover? It is on the main roof and slide roof also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast