User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering factory visit

What's a person to do, while waiting through the winter for a spring Solitude delivery?

The search function couldn't find any posts about factory visits in the past several years, so I thought I should renew the topic.

We're considering going to the factory from Maine, specifically for a visit before our unit is built, or at least before it is delivered. Has anyone gone recently, and if so is it still recommended? (Several years ago, the reviews of the visit were quite positive.) Suggestions of hotel/inn/B&B in the area, as well as for other things to do while there, would be very helpful as well.

Thanks!
    Al and Kathe
    House: Bass Harbor, Maine
    Home: Wherever we're parked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Highlighted states are those we have camped in for at least one night in our Solitude.
    2018 Solitude 310GK 110463 (Rhett) / 2018 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat (Scarlett)
    Follow us: http://lobstersontheloose.com

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always have a blast. They have awesome facilities and great guides. Depends on on the mile radius you'd like to stay. What types of activities or hobbies are you interested in? I grew up in the area.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We went last April and found it very informative. For us it was a quick overnight trip, so we weren't in the area long enough to do anything other than the factory tour. We did see an RV Museum just off the highway that I would have gone to if we had more time.
    Barb and Blair, retired and loving it
    2017 F250 Lariat Super Cab, Short bed, 4x4, diesel, Tow Technology Bundle, Pullrite 16K Autoslide
    2017 Reflection 307MKS, 3/17 Build
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    since we're considering a change from current RV to a Solitude we visited the factory - twice. Once for the Reflection, and again with current Solitude owners. They don't offer both visits on the same day/time so it took 2 visits; so check on the timing of those visits if you go. The Solitude visit was great. The Reflection visit was so-so. But the Solitude visit was a special tour for the couple we went with as they were current owners who couldn't make the normal visit for the Solitude tour. So I think we got some extra time and, therefore, extra info; and we were able to wander a bit and ask a lot of questions as there were only 2 couples rather than a group.

If you have the time and desire I think it's worth it. You can visit other manufacturers wheel in the area. You can take in the flea market (on Tuesdays and Wednesdays). You can find some good food in and around the area. You can visit the RV Hall of Fame / museum. There is a nice interpretive center in Shipshewana explains the origins of Amish/Mennonites/Quakers.

Sorry - no help from me on hotels/BBs, etc. We stayed at campgrounds.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We stayed at the Hampton inn just outside Sturgis MI. Just off the interstate. Not a bad breakfast. If you have time visit the RV Hall of Fame.
    We had the Reflection tour. The tour took place after the line was done for the day. I like seeing the units being built but with no one working you got to be right down on the floor and being able to look up close to the units under construction. The guides were great and did not rush us. We were the only ones on the tour. There were a few couples doing the Solitude tour at the same time.
    D & J
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2014 F350, 6.7, Anderson Ultimate

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies! Not sure about visiting other manufacturers, but the RV Hall of Fame and museum sounds like fun. Radius for places to stay, probably about 1/2 hour. Thanks for the recommendation of the Hampton Inn. I didn't realize that each of the lines had their own tour! We'll have to check with the factory about that; we appreciate the heads-up.

Clint asked about what kinds of things we enjoy... probably the most interesting would be photography opportunities, and anything having to do with fiber; Kathe is a fan of spinning, knitting, weaving, ...

Again, thanks to all! This is a great community.
    Al and Kathe
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Highlighted states are those we have camped in for at least one night in our Solitude.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tour is definitely worth it, you will gain allot of knowledge on how it's built and meet some of the people involved in Grand Design. Shipshewana, IN is not far away (8 miles), The Blue Gate garden Inn is a good place to stay. This is Amish country so lots of good food (the Town is dry, no alcohol).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Chuck and Glenda! You're speaking our language--"good food"...
    Al and Kathe
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went last April... was a quick 5 day trip from California. Great tour and my wife, who was reluctant to go, really enjoyed it. We traveled around the area, with a drive down to Indianapolis Speedway. Great museum and track tour. Also enjoyed RV museum a few miles from the factory.
    Dale & Penny Kennedy
    Central California

2016 Grand Design Solitude 321 RL #5754
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax/Allison
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]