User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are 6 month dealer inspections mandatory?...confused regarding warranty obligations.

I posted a similar question on Facebook. It seems according to the owners manual that came with the solitude we are obligated to bring our trailer in for six months inspections through the dealer or warranty center. I feel completely comfortable doing my own winterization maintenance etc. Pagr 24 of the manual under owner obligations seems to imply the inspection is mandated to maintain 3 yr warranty. I frequently climb the roof and check seals voids add sealant etc. Our dealer wants 500$ to do this and that is unacceptable when I can do all maintenance myself. Does anyone (particularly Missy or GD rep) have any clarification about this?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6883.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	9978
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6884.jpg  
    Ryan and Alison
    2017 Solitude 377MBS-R
    Titan electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    Morryde CRE 3000, xmembers x3, WBs,4k springs
    2017 GMC 3500 Duramax Denali SRW Airlift bags with wireless control
    Pullrite 2900 autoslide hitch

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The attached image is too small to do anything with, but I've never heard of such a thing (unless it's a provision in an extended warranty you bought separately). We've never taken our rig back into a dealer for an "inspection" and have had a number of warranty issues address without any problems.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    The attached image is too small to do anything with, but I've never heard of such a thing (unless it's a provision in an extended warranty you bought separately). We've never taken our rig back into a dealer for an "inspection" and have had a number of warranty issues address without any problems.

Rob
    Sorry the attached image comes across so small and unreadable. It was taken directly from 2017 solitude owners manual page 24 addressing 3 yr structural warranty. I will be interested in seeing how GD corporate will respond. I think what they are protecting themselves from is delamination from failure to have roof inspected/ sealant repaired, but again no way im going to pay my dealer to do that. One of the most important but easiest maintenance items to perform.
    Ryan and Alison
    2017 Solitude 377MBS-R

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this the clause you are referring:

Maintain all exterior seals and sealant, which must be inspected every six (6) months by an authorized dealer or authorized repair shop to assure there are no gaps or voids, and all gaps and voids must be corrected as necessary. Documentation acceptable to Warrantor must be presented con rming completion of an annual sealant inspection by an authorized Warrantor dealer or authorized dealer repair shop for coverage consideration.

From the FTC web site

Do I have to use the dealer for repairs and maintenance to keep my warranty in effect?
    No. An independent mechanic, a retail chain shop, or even you yourself can do routine maintenance and repairs on your vehicle. In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work. The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select repair facilities if the repair services are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty.

BTW - I don't think Grand Design has bad or nefarious intent. I find the manuals while helpful to be poorly written and edited. My guess is the legal department has never read the document.
    Colan and Marilyn Arnold
    Des Moines, IA - kind of, on the road full time.
    Currently in Durango, Colorado
    Momentum 350M originally, now a 397TH

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes this is the statement I was referring to. Thanks for referencing to FTC...I have been burned by the small print in the past and wanted to make sure I wasnt shooting myself in the foot for not fulfilling my obligations per their own verbage. That section needs review/clarification by their legal dept. b/c it sounds very misleading at the expense of the consumer and benefit of their dealer network and may be against FTC law. Or GD needs to make it clear that although the inspection is required for duration of the 3yr structural warranty this will be completed at no cost to us and dealers will make arrangements to perform the inspection in a reasonable timeframe. (Good luck with that option)
    Ryan and Alison
    2017 Solitude 377MBS-R

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you let your rig TomTom dealer for a 6th month inspection, you might not see it for another 6 months.

The industry is not setup for the service volume already required--much less taking in more work.

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Morning everyone,

If you choose to do maintenance yourself, we at Grand Design recommend you keep a maintenance log. All of the owner's manuals have a Required Maintenance Schedule (Solitude manual pages 157-158). Hope this helps!

Missy
    Mailing & Shipping Address: Grand Design RV, Attn: Customer Support, 11356 CR 2, Middlebury, IN 46540
    Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, closed holidays)

Contact us:
    - Call Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
    - Send a fax to (574) 825-9249
    - Or email: [email protected]

*For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name and phone number.*

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GDRV Missy View Post
    Good Morning everyone,

If you choose to do maintenance yourself, we at Grand Design recommend you keep a maintenance log. All of the owner's manuals have a Required Maintenance Schedule (Solitude manual pages 157-158). Hope this helps!

Missy
    Thank you Missy for your reply. I will be sure to document.
    Ryan and Alison
    2017 Solitude 377MBS-R