User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reflection 337RLS spring/axle rating.

Just a note to inform other 337rls owners of the problems we have encountered since we purchased our unit in May 2014.
    Our first trip out & on our return the fridge did not work on A/C. Knowing a bit about rv's it was traced down to a broken (faulty) element. No problem with replacement from the dealer (after a 2 week wait for order to arrive) I replaced part & all worked well, until our 2nd trip when the fridge would not work on LP, had to run generator for 2 days to keep food. I finally cleaned the piezo igniter & the fridge has been working properly since.
    That fall we started for our winter home in AZ & on that trip we found that the Grand Design claims of extreme PDI do not include trying the black water flush system as it was pinched tight with a wire tie, the kitchen drain fell off, had to repair the TV ( it appeared someone had dropped it during installation & pulled the coax jack out of the back),the kitchen faucet cracked & needed replacement,our fireplace quit & I finally traced it to a plug-in behind the fireplace(wire loose in plug), the flexible duct to the bedroom fell off (beneath floor so no heat - but very warm in area beneath).
    Being quite familiar with repairing rv's I was able to fix all these things without going back to the dealer (1800+ miles away) but did return in the spring to have some other warranty stuff repaired as I had got tired of fixing everything myself - away from home I discovered dealers don't like to do warranty work on units they didn't sell.
    The final straw for me - prompting this post - was on the return from our last trip this summer when I discovered that there were 3 of 4 springs broken on my unit. I know that I will be told it was from hitting too many potholes or such or overloading but I defy anyone to travel the highways and not encounter at least some rough RR crossings or road stretchs. I don't believe I drive too fast (100 kph max) & slow down for obvious rough spots.
    Upon inspection I realized that there are 2 - 6000# axles with 4 - 3000# springs on the running gear. The GVWR is 13,995 lbs. Springs have been replaced with 4- 3500# for a total of 14,000#. Why is there 12,000# running gear on a unit with a GVWR of almost 14,000#.
    I don't expect Grand Design to explain or compensate for spring replacement but any other owners should be aware that their running gear should be inspected prior to & during every trip.
    I do a walk around inspection before I move my unit, every time!! Just as a pilot does a pre-flight check.
    I hope the readers of this rant at least check their units more carefully & if you are looking to buy are asking a bunch of questions. We bought our Reflection because the factory rep & dealer salesman spoke of Grand Design's supposedly extreme PDI. NOT SUCH A BELIVER NOW!!

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim & Gerry View Post
    Why is there 12,000# running gear on a unit with a GVWR of almost 14,000#.
    ... Because 2,500 - 3,200 lbs. of the 13,990 GVWR is intended to be on the kingpin/hitch. The suspension system is specified adequately - even if the components aren't of the highest quality. Perhaps things are better now that they're changing to Dexter axles, etc.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You got those springs because with 20% of the gross trailer weight on the pin you have only 11,200 lbs on the springs. That's a whopping 800 lb buffer. Our Reflection was done the same way. The springs and axles won't support the entire weight of the trailer because they figure at least 20% of the weight will be on the pin. So you end up with an under engineered suspension system. We broke a spring in our first year of ownership and the rest of the springs had no arch in them. I was accused of overloading the trailer (which wasn't case) but Lippert did installed 4 new springs under warranty. Last month I replaced the 4400# Lippert axles and springs that came on the trailer with 5200# axles and 3000# springs from Dexter. The springs I removed were also flat. GD is now installing the 5200# Dexter axles on our model from the factory. If that isn't an admission of guilt I don't know what is. Just finished a 2000 mile trip with some very rough roads thrown in and all seems good. If you decide to replace the axles/springs go with Dexter. GD is now installing Dexter axles on some lines of trailers.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the replies, I had kind of assumed that the weight discrepancy was due to pin weight but feel that is just being cheap- the last thing any traveller wants is a problem on the road and under pinning a trailer is not the way to prevent problems. My other trailers (utility) all have adequate suspension for the loads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In addition the weight of my unit connected to the truck is only 9680#. This is well below the supposed maximum for the springs, another reason I feel they were inferior, hopefully the new stronger springs will hold up.