User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2018 Reflection 337RLS Rear Bumper and Spare Tire?

I have a couple questions about our 337RLS. Hoping you guys can answer. I noticed on our 337RLS that it does not have a rear bumper. This is the first RV we've owned that doesn't have one. I never noticed this when we purchased it. So are all the Reflections without a rear bumper? I miss the bumper for storing the sewer lines and piece of mind of a little protection should I misjudge distance and bump into something. The sewer storage underneath unit is only long enough for one hose. I always carry two. You never know if you need another one. I called the factory and was told there is no bumper because of rear wall construction. Still looks like one could have been installed. My thoughts are it was left out for weight and cost. They also said adding one will void warranty.
    My next question is about the spare tire under unit. It's mounted with the valve stem facing upward toward floor. You cant access it to check pressure without removing tire. I think I can reverse it but this will make tire hang lower to the ground. Has anyone done this? Thanks for any info!

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding extra sewer hose, many have done this and there are many posts on parts needed to do it here on the GD forum. Search sewer hose

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	added sewer hose.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	10022

I believe none of Reflections have a bumper, but could be mistaken. Most have 2" receiver hitch.
    Last edited by Gold Country Livin'; 10-06-2017 at 12:49 PM. Reason: added info
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 2015 337RLS has a bumper, I don't know when they went bumperless.

Dave

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fam5mel View Post
    I have a couple questions about our 337RLS. Hoping you guys can answer. I noticed on our 337RLS that it does not have a rear bumper. This is the first RV we've owned that doesn't have one. I never noticed this when we purchased it. So are all the Reflections without a rear bumper? I miss the bumper for storing the sewer lines and piece of mind of a little protection should I misjudge distance and bump into something. The sewer storage underneath unit is only long enough for one hose. I always carry two. You never know if you need another one. I called the factory and was told there is no bumper because of rear wall construction. Still looks like one could have been installed. My thoughts are it was left out for weight and cost. They also said adding one will void warranty.
    My next question is about the spare tire under unit. It's mounted with the valve stem facing upward toward floor. You cant access it to check pressure without removing tire. I think I can reverse it but this will make tire hang lower to the ground. Has anyone done this? Thanks for any info!
    Bumpers on Reflections were discontinued in production late 2014 (11/2014 production or maybe a little sooner as I recall) for the 2015 models in lieu of the 2" receiver hitches (mainly for bike usage.) Many of us have turned the spare over for the very reason you cite to enable tire pressure checking w/o having to crank down the spare. Since the wheel does not protrude from the tire, the tire will not hang any lower or higher. We also have a spare tire cover on ours to keep the spare cleaner and prevent "flying" road debris from potentially hitting the valve stem.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold Country Livin' View Post
    Regarding extra sewer hose, many have done this and there are many posts on parts needed to do it here on the GD forum. Search sewer hose
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	added sewer hose.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	10022
    I believe none of Reflections have a bumper, but could be mistaken. Most have 2" receiver hitch.
    I just got done adding 3 tubes, 2 for extra sewer hose and 1 for a flag pole and a campfire tripod, carry bikes on the back with the 2" receiver, much better than a Bumper mount rack. . . . the tire cover is a good idea in "toes in the water" post. . . .
    Joe & Dee
    Ontario, Ohio
    2018 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Duramax Crew Cab SRW Short Bed Payload 3523#
    2019 Reflection 337RLS bought February 2019 Dry Pin Weight = 2,320#, UVW = 11,100#
    Hitch - PullRite Super Glide 2700 - 16K
    Bed Cover - Roll-N-Lock
    TPMS - Tire Tracker TT-500 (non flow thru)
    Rear Observation Camera - Rear View Safety model RVS-155W-FB (2400-2500MHZ)

2017 303RLS bought April 2017 / Traded February 2019

Map represents States visited with our 303RLS /337RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep two lengths of sewer hose in that storage tube. Not sure what lengths they are.
    2016 F350 4X4 CC SB SRW 6.7 Powerstroke with OEM 5th Wheel and Gooseneck Prep Package
    Bakflip G2 Bed Cover
    Andersen Ultimate Aluminum Fifth Wheel Hitch
    2017 Reflection 337RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

We looked at a 315RLTS yesterday and immediately (also) noticed the lack of a rear bumper. While mounting the spare tire underneath the chassis is more of an issue than a problem, my wife and I wondered why there is no (visible) bumper. Does the rearmost lateral frame rail beneath the body panel serve as a bumper? Such would require some expensive bodywork following a rear impact, but I noticed most motor homes also lack a visible rear bumper. Granted, the "slinky" is stored in its own included tube beneath the chassis, but what is the deal with the lack of a bumper? Considering there is a 2" receiver mounted to the frame, has anybody used a protective device (i.e., https://www.weathertech.com/bumpstepxl/) to create a bit of a buffer?

Maybe I am just too accustomed to our current (Forest River V-Lite)...
    Last edited by Summit1; 04-18-2019 at 09:01 AM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing on the back isn't a bumper. It's a sewage hose storage container. It might serve as a bumper if you were struck by a bicycle, but not much else.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Truthfully, when they did have bumpers, they were really just very light 4" square steel tubing. They were not very structurally sound. I would think cost was the real reason they quit adding rear bumpers. (My Reflection 323 was one of the last with the bumper.)

If you chose to have a heavier bumper fabricated, there should be no reason that it would void any factory warranty.

I like having the bumper as I've been known to lightly tap objects when blindly backing into campsites--like trees.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not too concerned with backing into something...that's why I added the auxiliary camera to the rear of my 303. In the event of a rear end collision, bumper or no bumper isn't going to make much of a difference. As for sewer hose storage, I purchased this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it appears to be of decent quality. It probably would have cost more than $50 in materials to rig one up myself. I store my primary hose and fittings in this one and I have an extension in the shorter one that came on the trailer.
    2022 F450 Platinum
    B & W Companion
    2024 Brinkley Model Z 3610

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast