Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GFI on Park 30amp post trips

I didn't find a solution to this problem as the friendly camp host offered a different site without the GFI on the power supply. So here is my best guess.

Pulled to Finger Lakes State Park in Illinois. The walkup sites are 30 amp. Temps are ok so we won't need to run much A/C. The power cable is a 30-50 amp dog bone going into a Progressive Surge Guard connected to the power cable.

Hook up the power, breaker on the power post trips.

It's got a GFI breaker. Ok, turned off all breakers in the RV. Turned post breaker on, it trips. Hmmm! Unplug power cable from RV, turn on breaker at post, it trips. Unplug power cable from surge box, turn on breaker at post, nothing, it's happy.
    Conclusion: Something in my 50amp power cable was causing the GFI to trip.

I was about to haul out the spare cables that are buried very deep but the camp host wandered over and said he noticed by consternation and since we were only there for one night I could move over to the handicap spot that has 50amp with no GFI. Apparently he had seen this issue before.

My suspicion: My power cable has little LED lights that come on when there is power on the cable. Handy. But I am wondering if there is enough pull there to cause a GFI circuit to trip.

Anyone smart enough in electricity to confirm or deny my theory?
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Not sure about your suspicion Dallas. On our current trip we have had at least 6 or more campgrounds with only 30 amp service and I have had no issues even running 1 A/C along the microwave or coffee maker or hair dryer with issues. Like you, I connect to the power post with a 30 amp to 50 amp adapter then plug my 50 amp SurgeGuard into that and my Furrion 50 amp power cord from the surge protector to the trailer.

PS. my blue LED lights are functioning also.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is in your opinion the best surge protection ? Just read about not hard wiring a Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C unit in a Momentum . Is portable the way to go ? My momentum 348 has 50 amp service

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't say as I have ever seen a GFCI 30 amp breaker on a post. But if it is "sensing" a ground fault (either not grounded or bonded to neutral some how) it will trip. Maybe do some continuity testing on the cord.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could have also been that the GFCI was failing. However, I have also never been in a park with a GFCI on the 30a circuit. Typically see it, if at all, on 120v.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    30 amp service and I have had no …PS. my blue LED lights are functioning also.
    We have used the same set up on 30amp many times. The only difference is the GFI breaker on the power post.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Marcinkewicz View Post
    What is in your opinion the best surge protection ?
    I am probably one of the worst people to answer this question. I am electrically challenged. I have toasted 2 of the expensive 50amp Surge Guard protectors. I liked them, I particularly liked the second one. It had a little meter on it that would tell me how many amps each leg was pulling. Useful information. Then the Camco cord I was using shorted out and melted the plug on it. It was out of warranty. I replaced it with the Progressive Smart surge protector for half the price. I will never use another Camco cord repair kit. Better? I don’t really know.

Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    Can't say as I have ever seen a GFCI 30 amp breaker on a post. But if it is "sensing" a ground fault (either not grounded or bonded to neutral some how) it will trip. Maybe do some continuity testing on the cord.
    This is why I was suspecting the Led lights on the cord, wouldn’t the lights have to be wired from a 120v leg to the common/ground. I wouldn’t think there would be enough power going through that to cause the GFI to trip, but maybe it doesn’t take much.

You certainly don’t see many GFI breakers on RV power pedestals.

Quote Originally Posted by arhayes View Post
    It could have also been that the GFCI was failing. Alan
    I thought of that, tried the cord on 3 different pedestals. I have seen failing circuit breakers. When I hosted at Cloudland Canyon SP in GA one of the duties I had was to replace the 30amp breakers. The maintenance guy explained to me that folks would come in with 50amp rigs, convert up from 30amp, then try to run everything. The breakers would heat up and trip. Do that about 10 times and the breaker begins to weaken and trip more often until eventually it would barely stay on, even normal 30 amp draw it would trip. This results in unhappy camper.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an aside, at the last park in SD we had to use our 30a dog bone, the cable went out. Couldn't find the cause so the park called the cable company. Before they could come my power went off. Turned out the cable was bonded to the common ground and the cable had shorted and caused an electrical overload. My portable EMS saved the day, but my Camco dogbone was melted.
    Of course the local Evil W didn't have a 50/30 bone, so we ran on generator for 2 days until I could get one from a nearby town. Stuff does happen.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see how the LEDS would trip the GFCI. They operate the same as anything else would operate. My bet is a bad breaker, especially since the guy has seen it before and move you so quickly.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dallas - I would agree with the theory that it was a bad GFCI breaker. The blue LEDs should indicate line to neutral and would not pop the breaker. We used to have GFCI 30A breakers where I keep my boat. These were stupidly expensive and finicky as hell . . . but made sense around water, right . Until the complaints of spoiled food and dead batteries became overwhelming and the GFCI breakers were replaced with regular breakers.

BTW . . . this was where I learned that breakers are not designed to be switches . . . even though RV parks and marinas all use them like this. The "right" solution would be a breaker feeding an appropriately sized switch and the switch feeding the outlet. Then, the breaker should be left alone and the switch used to turn the power on/off. But, that's an extra device on every post and I have never seen it done this way.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still confused as to why it trips with just the cord and no load.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast